Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

I suppose it's possible that they also tested the DNA and have been building the family tree of the presumed killer at the same time. If so, they might have ID'd him before they did her. Maybe they already know who and where he is and are just waiting to kick his door down.

We can hope.

THIS! YES! That's what I've been thinking.

If there was no-one left to report her missing that implies there were no siblings, cousins, nephews or nieces who might have been wondering what happened to someone who disappeared. You're right - that is indeed sad, and makes me wonder how many of the other Does are in exactly the same situation.

To clarify, DDP said there were 'no PARENTS left to report her missing.' The other user just paraphrased it differently.

Just thinking that if speculation is correct that she might have been killed by someone known to her, a husband or boyfriend, it would appear that the only person who could report her missing was the very one who wouldn't.

Yeah, and I think that's probably the case with many of our unidentified.

There was no one left to report her ..... that actually brought tears to my eyes. very sad :(

Margaret Press all you dedicated folks who spend time trying to match on NamUs are incredible. Our hats off to you. Sadly in this case there were no parents left to report her missing. And she was an adult out on her own.

For clarity ... to me it was sad in the fact that SFJD did not have parents left that would of reported her missing. Also it was noted she was an adult, we have seen this in numerous cases that LE take the stance their an adult they can come or go as they please. Unfortunate but true ...... It truly is heart breaking where these cases are not taken seriously

Was not implying there were no relatives, how else would you be able to make a DNA gene match... they had to match to someone she is related too RIGHT!. Whether that is a sibling, cousin, aunt, uncle etc ... it could be possible the siblings are deceased as well whom knows.

Early on DDP stated they talked with nosey neighbors... those neighbors were able to tell them where all the children went to school... So with that being said it would lead you to believe that they were looking at a family with children locating the schools and looking through yearbooks. Whom those children were IDK could have been SFJD immediate family or relatives

My apologizes for any sort of confusion

I'm sure all of these questions will be answered in the very short term...

Last edited:
The difference is that there has always been the idea that Marcia was killed by a random person or someone who only knew her very slightly, whereas there has long been a theory that SFJD/WCJD was killed by someone she knew well.
I don't think either of them were killed by a random stranger. Because if they were kidnapped or just randomly killed, somebody would have reported them missing, family, friends, somebody. So they must have been traveling with the persons who killed them, or somehow or other involved with the killers, and at the same time out of contact with their families.

I don't think either of them were killed by a random stranger. Because if they were kidnapped or just randomly killed, somebody would have reported them missing, family, friends, somebody. So they must have been traveling with the persons who killed them, or somehow or other involved with the killers, and at the same time out of contact with their families.

I agree KaaBoom it was someone they knew .........

This is a huge stretch, but didn't Sheep Flats Jane Doe have children? I almost wonder if they found her children, got DNA from their father, and ran it against DNA found on her body. Just a thought.

This is a huge stretch, but didn't Sheep Flats Jane Doe have children? I almost wonder if they found her children, got DNA from their father, and ran it against DNA found on her body. Just a thought.

Your right Springrain, she did have a C section scar ..... it could be very possible that a child or the child's children were located ....

17973d72_THUMBS.gif
Glad you brought that detail up Springrain .... had forgotten about it.

Your right Springrain, she did have a C section scar ..... it could be very possible that a child or the child's children were located ....

17973d72_THUMBS.gif

Wow....forgot that completely in the excitement....sharp....how painful and sad if that is the case (and/or shed light on a lot of questions about mom)

I agree KaaBoom it was someone they knew .........

It depends on what you mean by "knew". There's a world of difference between an established partner and someone she might have hitched a ride from a few days previously and was travelling with.

Of the two, I think SFDJ is the more likely to have been killed by an established partner. Unless she was marched to where she was killed and found at gunpoint, she presumably went with her killer willingly which meant she trusted him.

Marcia is, IMO, more likely to have been killed by a stranger or a new or casual acquaintance. She was something of a free spirit and therefore a drifter so her friendships were more likely to be short term or casual. I think it likely she picked the wrong ride from a stranger or maybe from someone she was introduced to. "My BIL drives to X every few weeks. Why don't you ask him for a lift? He'd probably be glad of the company."

It depends on what you mean by "knew". There's a world of difference between an established partner and someone she might have hitched a ride from a few days previously and was travelling with.

Of the two, I think SFDJ is the more likely to have been killed by an established partner. Unless she was marched to where she was killed and found at gunpoint, she presumably went with her killer willingly which meant she trusted him.

Marcia is, IMO, more likely to have been killed by a stranger or a new or casual acquaintance. She was something of a free spirit and therefore a drifter so her friendships were more likely to be short term or casual. I think it likely she picked the wrong ride from a stranger or maybe from someone she was introduced to. "My BIL drives to X every few weeks. Why don't you ask him for a lift? He'd probably be glad of the company."

I agree...Marcia feels more like an 'ad random" homicide, "ships in the night" kind of thing. where the situation of SFJD sounds more like somebody she knew for a longer time/being a partner.

17973d72_THUMBS.gif

But wasn't there some contention over whether it was actually a C section scar? I read this whole thread a few months ago and seem to recall that LE were very back and forth over the origins of that scar. I think they settled on 'it could be a c section scar but it also might not be', but I don't remember for sure. If she does have kids, though, it could be the case that her child/children were found.

If that is the case and her children were alive at the time of her murder, you have to wonder what happened to them. Her child or children were probably aged 5-15 at the time. A teenager is much more likely to ask hard questions about what happened to mum, but might easily have been living with maternal grandparents or other relatives if SFJD was onto her 2nd or 3rd marriage or relationship. It's very common for a stepfather or new boyfriend to push out the children of earlier relationships. Here in the UK it's the single biggest cause of teenagers running away.

But wasn't there some contention over whether it was actually a C section scar? I read this whole thread a few months ago and seem to recall that LE were very back and forth over the origins of that scar. I think they settled on 'it could be a c section scar but it also might not be', but I don't remember for sure. If she does have kids, though, it could be the case that her child/children were found.

It should be fairly straightforward to work out whether it was a C section scar or not. If it was, there would be a corresponding scar on the uterus. If not, not.

Remeber there was debate on the c section scar size and location here in the thread and a question was posed to Lt green as to the age of the scar at the time he did not know the answer. This is also around the time Green was reexaminig the case and her dental work changed from european to US.

In all I do not think it is far fetched that her DNA could of possibly been matched to a child she had given birth too or even their offspring.

Your right about step family members pushing a child out, have seen that in a few MP cases recently.

All this trivial debate will be answered soon enough and this Doe will have her rightful name back as she should.

Last edited:

I don't think it was just hitchhiking. If she was hitchhiking, she would have been going from someplace to someplace else. When she didn't arrive, somebody would have gotten suspicious. I think the killer would have to have been a significant relationship. Otherwise, I don't know how a person can just disappear and nobody notice. If you can give me some examples of it happening, I'd be interested. But I don't see how it could happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back