Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

I don't think it was just hitchhiking. If she was hitchhiking, she would have been going from someplace to someplace else. When she didn't arrive, somebody would have gotten suspicious. I think the killer would have to have been a significant relationship. Otherwise, I don't know how a person can just disappear and nobody notice. If you can give me some examples of it happening, I'd be interested. But I don't see how it could happen.

Sorry, what don't you see happening? Someone being killed hitchhiking and not being reported missing? I feel like there are numerous examples of that and reasons why they weren't reported missing.

I agree that this feels more like a person she knew fairly well, but I'm curious why you don't think a hitchhiking scenario is possible?

I don't think it was just hitchhiking. If she was hitchhiking, she would have been going from someplace to someplace else. When she didn't arrive, somebody would have gotten suspicious. I think the killer would have to have been a significant relationship. Otherwise, I don't know how a person can just disappear and nobody notice. If you can give me some examples of it happening, I'd be interested. But I don't see how it could happen.

I do think hitchhiking was how she got about. One thing which strikes me is that it's now 3 months since she was identified and her name and photos published nationally in the US. So far, nobody has come forward to say that they met her or travelled with her during the years that have not been accounted for. That suggests to me that she didn't stay anywhere long enough to have made enduring friendships.

The reality is that the 1960s-1980s were decades when so many young people were drifting around the US getting by however they could. It wouldn't surprise me if there are thousands of missing young people from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s who have never been reported missing, either because they had nobody to report them missing or because those who could do so had no idea where they went missing from. Young people like Walker County Jane Doe, Crystal Rae or Bibb County John Doe. Given how fragmented US LE is, how would a parent or sibling know where to report someone missing if they didn't know that person's recent movements?

(Apologies that this discussion has gone a bit off track)

I do think hitchhiking was how she got about. One thing which strikes me is that it's now 3 months since she was identified and her name and photos published nationally in the US. So far, nobody has come forward to say that they met her or travelled with her during the years that have not been accounted for. That suggests to me that she didn't stay anywhere long enough to have made enduring friendships.

The reality is that the 1960s-1980s were decades when so many young people were drifting around the US getting by however they could. It wouldn't surprise me if there are thousands of missing young people from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s who have never been reported missing, either because they had nobody to report them missing or because those who could do so had no idea where they went missing from. Young people like Walker County Jane Doe, Crystal Rae or Bibb County John Doe. Given how fragmented US LE is, how would a parent or sibling know where to report someone missing if they didn't know that person's recent movements?

(Apologies that this discussion has gone a bit off track)

Are you talking about Marsha?

Sorry, what don't you see happening? Someone being killed hitchhiking and not being reported missing? I feel like there are numerous examples of that and reasons why they weren't reported missing.

I agree that this feels more like a person she knew fairly well, but I'm curious why you don't think a hitchhiking scenario is possible?

I don't see how someone could be murdered while hitchhiking and their family and friends wouldn't even notice. How would that happen?

For example I know someone online who is on a hitchhiking trip right now. Many people are very concerned about her. If she suddenly disappears on this trip, I think everybody will know that something bad happened to her. Her disappearance would be reported. Maybe not right away, but at some point.

Last edited:

I don't find that surprising. If no one noticed or cared that Marcia went missing in 1981, then they are certainly not going to remember her or care 35 years later. That makes me think that the person or persons she was with, are probably responsible for her death.

I don't see how someone could be murdered while hitchhiking and their family and friends wouldn't even notice. How would that happen?

For example I know someone online who is on a hitchhiking trip right now. Many people are very concerned about her. If she suddenly disappears on this trip, I think everybody will know that something bad happened to her. Her disappearance would be reported. Maybe not right away, but at some point.

Jason Callahan. He wasn’t hitchhiking but the same principle applies. People disappeared all the time 40 years ago. People drop out of lives and without social media, people moved on only to wonder about friends and family many decades later. It isn’t uncommon

Jason Callahan. He wasn’t hitchhiking but the same principle applies. People disappeared all the time 40 years ago. People drop out of lives and without social media, people moved on only to wonder about friends and family many decades later. It isn’t uncommon
Thanks for that example. In that case the person who might have reported him missing was also killed in the crash. Also I think it would be better to look at cases of females who disappeared. Because I think there are some fundamental differences in how men and women travel. I think it's much easier for men to travel completely independently. I think women are more likely to travel with others for support. Especially when hitchhiking. I just think that looking at cases of females would be more useful.

There’s been a lot of great advancements in this case in the last few months. It makes all that time spent on this case worth it.

Charlie I know you have been along through this case for sometime ...and yes it was time well spent ... have enjoyed your posts

Finally she will be at rest with her rightful name

Thanks for that example. In that case the person who might have reported him missing was also killed in the crash. Also I think it would be better to look at cases of females who disappeared. Because I think there are some fundamental differences in how men and women travel. I think it's much easier for men to travel completely independently. I think women are more likely to travel with others for support. Especially when hitchhiking. I just think that looking at cases of females would be more useful.
Orange Socks and Everett WA ‘77. We don’t know for sure yet that these women weren’t reported missing, but I suspect that will be the case once they are IDed, given how long they’ve been unidentified. Probably Walker County. Some Gaskins and Alcala victims. I’m sure there are many more examples. There were plenty of free spirits, off exploring the country by hitchhiking, who would’ve been missed but not necessarily reported. They weren’t expected at a certain place at a certain time, so there would be no reason for anyone to think something was amiss for a while. And even if they were then reported, families were often told they were adults and go disappear if they so chose.

By way of a different example, my exes sister was a teenager in the late 60s. She took off, she was unhappy at home, and this was an ordinary middle class family. No one knew if she hit the road looking for a “free-spirited” life, or what. As she was almost 18, no one reported her missing, she didn’t want to be found. I suppose she could easily have been a Jane Doe. Found her in the 90s married and working as an education professional, about 50 miles away. It was just different back then. Families (in this case) didn’t want scandal and shame.

I don't find that surprising. If no one noticed or cared that Marcia went missing in 1981, then they are certainly not going to remember her or care 35 years later. That makes me think that the person or persons she was with, are probably responsible for her death.

In order to report someone missing, you have to know or suspect that they are missing. No doubt LE are currently trying to put together a picture of Marcia's travels in the years between leaving home and her death, but I suspect it will be shown to be a period of brief stays and temporary jobs in various places.

Let's imagine for the sake of argument that she spent a couple of months working as a waitress in a diner somewhere before moving on. Would the people she worked with even think she could be missing, when as far as they were concerned she simply handed in her notice and left? It's most likely they assumed she hitched a ride to somewhere and worked somewhere else for a few months before moving on again, especially if they themselves were also largely itinerant and working temporary jobs. I suggest that it's only with her being identified as a murder victim, almost 40 years after her death, that former workmates would realise that something bad had happened to her.

I spent a lot of time in Haight Ashbury, in the 70's. So many kids hitchhiked through there. Many coming from all over the nation. My friend had a large home he lived in with his 90 yr old grandmother.

He used to invite lots of 'hitch hikers' to stay in the downstairs area, as they looked for work. Because there were no cell phones or internet communication back in the day, these kids rarely had recent communications with their families back home.

Long distance calls were expensive back then. But Granny used to urge the kids to make a quick call to update their families.

It was very sad to see how many of the transient kids really had no one to call home to. Many were from broken homes or negligent homes,and dint have anyone to notify.

I think a serial killer could easily come across some hitch hikers who wouldn't be missed for quite awhile, if ever...

By way of a different example, my exes sister was a teenager in the late 60s. She took off, she was unhappy at home, and this was an ordinary middle class family. No one knew if she hit the road looking for a “free-spirited” life, or what. As she was almost 18, no one reported her missing, she didn’t want to be found. I suppose she could easily have been a Jane Doe. Found her in the 90s married and working as an education professional, about 50 miles away. It was just different back then. Families (in this case) didn’t want scandal and shame.

OK, that's a good example. But was your ex's sister traveling completely alone all that time? Most people who ran away in the 60s joined hippy communes, or something. So they would have been with other people. Just because people are away from and out of contact with their families, doesn't mean they are alone, and no one would notice them missing.

OK, that's a good example. But was your ex's sister traveling completely alone all that time? Most people who ran away in the 60s joined hippy communes, or something. So they would have been with other people. Just because people are away from and out of contact with their families, doesn't mean they are alone, and no one would notice them missing.
In her case, she probably wasn’t isolated. But as Katydid noted above she easily could have been. No cell phones, no social media, friends crashing on the floor of acquaintances houses, and coming and going like ships in the night. I just think it happened back then more frequently than we imagine today.

In her case, she probably wasn’t isolated. But as Katydid noted above she easily could have been. No cell phones, no social media, friends crashing on the floor of acquaintances houses, and coming and going like ships in the night. I just think it happened back then more frequently than we imagine today.

I agree, especially when you add in all of the young people aging out of the care system. Who would be looking out for them once they were out and on their own?

I read her post. She was staying with friends. I would guess if she had suddenly got kidnaped, her friends would have noticed, if her stuff was still there, and she was gone. I think everybody is missing my point. Many adults don't keep in contact with their families, but that doesn't mean they can just disappear into thin air, and nobody would notice. Roommates will notice, friends will notice, employers will notice. Somebody will notice.

I read her post. She was staying with friends. I would guess if she had suddenly got kidnaped, her friends would have noticed, if her stuff was still there, and she was gone. I think everybody is missing my point. Many adults don't keep in contact with their families, but that doesn't mean they can just disappear into thin air, and nobody would notice. Roommates will notice, friends will notice, employers will notice. Somebody will notice.

No disrespect at all, I realize I’ve been gone from this forum for awhile, but your posts seem to keep pushing your narrative that no one goes missing because someone will report them. The fact is, many people did go missing because no one reported them. Traveling alone or not, people don’t get reported. Your generalization that people just joined communes is irresponsible. Many of us who’ve spent a lot of time, Years even, researching these casing have seen that people were just brushed aside because of LE workload or just not being bothered to do their job. It’s not hard to drop off the grid 40 years ago. But stop forcing your narrative on the rest of us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdward01
Back