Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story from Troy Daily News:
Sossoman given back her name - Troy Daily News

Pictures of her new headstone are about to go up on the page.
The investigation into who killed Sossoman continues. “We got closure to the family, hopeful, for one part of it, ” said Miami County Sheriff Dave Duchak. “Our next phase now is picking up a 37-year-old trail and we are working as expeditiously as possible on that. We’ve placed her in the Louisville area and she had some loose affiliations in the northern Shelby County area.”
"Working as expeditiously as possible on that" sounds like they haven't made any progress yet.

Maybe this has been discussed, but where did name Sossoman came from? I thought she was identified as Marcia King. I'm a little confused on that. Has anybody found any information on her under the name Marcia Sossoman? I know people weren't having much luck with finding anything on Marcia King.

Sossoman is her father's surname and the surname she was given at birth. Her mother remarried and then Marcia's surname was changed to King.

Sossoman is her father's surname and the surname she was given at birth. Her mother remarried and then Marcia's surname was changed to King.
Thanks. In that case I find it interesting that they changed her name back to Sossoman on the gravestone, and put "King" in parentheses in very small type. It's also interesting that her mother didn't attend the service. There seems to be a rift in the family.

Thanks. In that case I find it interesting that they changed her name back to Sossoman on the gravestone, and put "King" in parentheses in very small type. It's also interesting that her mother didn't attend the service. There seems to be a rift in the family.

I'm glad they put Sossoman because it's the name she was born with. Who knows if her father was on board with her name being changed to King.

Her mother wasn't well enough to go. I'm sure she very much wanted to.

There aren't any rifts, it was just a matter of who could physically be there. They all loved Marcia.

Agree. There isn't more to the story. Her mom is older. Just wasn't up to it. It had to be pretty scary to go to if you're someone that doesn't like attention with the world watching.

I found another interesting thing. In this article they refer to her as Marcia L. Gossoman (King). So we have three different names for her. I think this is very important because, unless we know which name she was going by, it's impossible to search for information about her. This is getting very confusing.

King headstone to be set - Troy Daily News

I'm certain Gossoman is a typo.

I sure would like to know why all my posts are being deleted. Unless we can't even mention her family members. o_O

Why? Her legal name was Marcia Lenore King from the time she was three years old. With all due respect it doesn't make any sense.

It is my understanding that family reads here. They just went to her memorial; it was their decision on what to put on the headstone. Her father just passed away, he did not know Marcia was found. There could be a lot of reasons why his last name is there and as I said, it's what she was born with. King is there too. It's really not our business why family decided what they did. I'm just happy she's identified and all her names are on the headstone.

Per request from the family. They are understandably skittish after being harrassed on the day of the announcement.
That information is readily available with Google, from publicly posted obituaries. They put their names all over her headstone, but we can't mention the names here? The grave photos will show everything I posted. The only thing left to do is matchup the names to the two families. Since we don't know who else she was with, and we can't even mention the family members here, what exactly can we discuss, or is this just supposed to be a memorial thread? I really miss the days when we could actually discuss cases on Websleuths, and cases actually got solved right here.:(

That information is readily available with Google, from publicly posted obituaries. They put their names all over her headstone, but we can't mention the names here? The grave photos will show everything I posted. The only thing left to do is matchup the names to the two families. Since we don't know who else she was with, and we can't even mention the family members here, what exactly can we discuss, or is this just supposed to be a memorial thread? I really miss the days when we could actually discuss cases on Websleuths, and cases actually got solved right here.:(

A family member informed me that they did not want her father's obituary posted on Websleuths and didn't want her mother mentioned by name (as she is very nervous about people finding her), but are OK with the other family members being mentioned.

KaaBoom, I mean no offense, but you sound quite insensitive right now. These cases aren't "ours". This is a daughter, a sister, a friend, and the family wants their privacy. It is their right to have their privacy. We can discuss this case without outright talking about the family by name. She has her identity back now. We should be focusing more on finding her killer than the obituary of her deceased father or the semantics of her name.

She was a person who had a family. She can't speak for herself. But the family can speak for them. And the family has spoken - no obituary. Please respect that.

Hey all, as a side note, the beautiful people behind Marcia's identification are currently in the running to win a $5,000 grant that could make or break an identification for another Doe or two!

DNA Doe Project Here's a Facebook post about it.

Why We Serve 2018 | Aftermath Services You can also vote here. ("Ofc. Stephanie Bourgeois")

As for something Marcia-specific, I really wish we could find her killer just by sitting here. I can't remember if they had his DNA at all - would they be able to Parabon it? It would be amazing if both things were solved through genetic genealogy.

Hey all, as a side note, the beautiful people behind Marcia's identification are currently in the running to win a $5,000 grant that could make or break an identification for another Doe or two!

DNA Doe Project Here's a Facebook post about it.

Why We Serve 2018 | Aftermath Services You can also vote here. ("Ofc. Stephanie Bourgeois")

As for something Marcia-specific, I really wish we could find her killer just by sitting here. I can't remember if they had his DNA at all - would they be able to Parabon it? It would be amazing if both things were solved through genetic genealogy.

Thank you so much for posting this, rats! Everyone, please remember to vote again today too for Stephanie Bourgeois (which is a vote for DDP)! Voting ends tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member