TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

meanmaryjean

Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)
Reaction score
Doctor for former President George H.W. Bush fatally shot in Houston - CNN

"A cardiologist who treated former President George H.W. Bush was killed Friday morning in a bicycle-to-bicycle drive-by shooting near Texas Medical Center in Houston, authorities said.

Dr. Mark Hausknecht and the shooter were both riding bikes on South Main Street, near Texas Children's Pavilion for Women, shortly before 9 a.m. local time, Executive Assistant Police Chief Troy Finner said at a news conference."

It sounds targeted to me- anyone local?

Doctor for former President George H.W. Bush fatally shot in Houston - CNN

"A cardiologist who treated former President George H.W. Bush was killed Friday morning in a bicycle-to-bicycle drive-by shooting near Texas Medical Center in Houston, authorities said.

Dr. Mark Hausknecht and the shooter were both riding bikes on South Main Street, near Texas Children's Pavilion for Women, shortly before 9 a.m. local time, Executive Assistant Police Chief Troy Finner said at a news conference."

It sounds targeted to me- anyone local?
I've been to that area, it's in Houston Medical Center. Obviously drive by bike shooting are not something that happens regularly (or ever?). Very strange, indeed.

WTH? I am an avid cyclist so this definitely got my attention! It most definitely sounds pre-planned & targeted. I wonder who might have had it in for him....very scary. Hope cameras tell the story. Wow.
Disgruntled patient or relative of a patient? If this doctor is treating high risk patients there got to be some that didn't make it? Or had a bad outcome?

Except this is well-planned (IMHO) by someone who knew his routine and took the time to BIKE in the opposite direction to accomplish the job. I think this is linked to his personal life. But what a tragedy for the cardiology community.

Disgruntled patients tend to go to the workplace.

Except this is well-planned (IMHO) by someone who knew his routine and took the time to BIKE in the opposite direction to accomplish the job. I think this is linked to his personal life. But what a tragedy for the cardiology community.

Disgruntled patients tend to go to the workplace.

Well, this was very near workplace and apparently he regularly biked to work. It's a very busy area, a lot of traffic. If' it's about his personal life why kill him near his work, in a highly populated area with a lot of people (witnesses) around?

Last edited:
I’m local, and I am so disturbed by this case. The entire area has high traffic at this time of the morning. I guess the shooter blended into the crowd after it happened, but I do suspect he was there to target this physician. People may not realize they saw something that could help identify who is responsible. I trust cameras will eventually tell this story, and since no video has been released to the public, I am hoping that means they have some viable leads in revealing this killer.

I’m local, and I am so disturbed by this case. The entire area has high traffic at this time of the morning. I guess the shooter blended into the crowd after it happened, but I do suspect he was there to target this physician. People may not realize they saw something that could help identify who is responsible. I trust cameras will eventually tell this story, and since no video has been released to the public, I am hoping that means they have some viable leads in revealing this killer.
He was on a bike, hard to blend into the crowd.

It sounds targeted to me, too. It sounds like a hit. I wouldn't think it's easy to shoot accurately from a moving bicycle at a moving target. My guess would be a paid hit by a scorned spouse or lover, or by someone who would stand to inherit at Dr. Hausknect's death. Another possibility would be a killing or hit by someone whose career was ruined (or perceived as ruined) by the doctor -- I'm thinking of someone like Dr. Andy Garcia who killed the Nebraska doctors.

Pretty sure statement about them going in opposite directions was in error. Sounds like the shooter and the doctor were traveling in the same direction. Shooter passed the doctor, then 2 blocks later turned around and shot the doctor.
"Hausknecht was riding northbound Friday morning on Main Street at the intersection with Holcombe Boulevard when the gunman passed him, Houston police said. Two blocks later, the shooter turned around on his mountain bike and fired at least twice at Hausknecht, who immediately went down. The gunman fled on his bike, riding north."
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...doctor-shot-while-biking-to-work-13094247.php

That would depend on how many other bicyclists and pedestrians were present in the area.
Dump the bike and helmet and walk away...that's one way to blend. Not sure if that's what the killer did, but it's an idea.

I'm worried that any video captured won't show a face - a helmet, visor, and sunglasses could conceal a face.

I agree with others that this seems targeted. How many cyclists are riding around on a morning commute with a gun?! The m.o. seems planned.

jmo

Dump the bike and helmet and walk away...that's one way to blend. Not sure if that's what the killer did, but it's an idea.

I'm worried that any video captured won't show a face - a helmet, visor, and sunglasses could conceal a face.

I agree with others that this seems targeted. How many cyclists are riding around on a morning commute with a gun?! The m.o. seems planned.

jmo
Then the bike would have been found near the scene and that hasn't been reported. At least some part of the face should be visible since suspect is reportedly white or Hispanic male about 30 years old and clean shaven.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back