TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

Business suits are required wear. Casual jackets are not.

His wife’s statement urging gun control makes me wonder if someone unstable had been threatening the doctor and his family recently. I can only imagine how angry and distraught she must be that after tending to victims of gun violence for years, her own husband became a victim to it as well.

Business suits are required wear. Casual jackets are not.

His wife’s statement urging gun control makes me wonder if someone unstable had been threatening the doctor and his family recently. I can only imagine how angry and distraught she must be that after tending to victims of gun violence for years, her own husband became a victim to it as well.
Required wear? Presumably not required while outside of business?
She is an emergency room MD. Her being concerned about gun control likely has a lot to do with her witnesses gun violence victims in the emergency day in and day out.

Not that I am saying doctor was any of those things, but being around the president or being selected to treat the president doesn't necessarily mean there is no potential for scandal. I mean, look at what is going on now.
"The Donald" breaks the norms by actively seeking out people who have his drama fueled, attention seeking personality and by rejecting conventional advice. Past presidents, both republican and democrat, however, tended to the follow the standard advise.

Though screenings for security issue / scandal potential can never eliminate the possibility of say, a scandal, they can greatly reduce the risk. My guess is that no physician is selected to attend to a president with out having such a screening. The current president just chooses to ignore the screening results.

Last edited:
Required wear? Presumably not required while outside of business?
She is an emergency room MD. Her being concerned about gun control likely has a lot to do with her witnesses gun violence victims in the emergency day in and day out.

I’m ok with having a differing view as to why someone would ‘plausibly’ wear a jacket in this heat. Let’s agree to disagree.

By the way watching a video of police press conference, several people are seen in business suits with jackets (I counted at least three in business suits with jackets on in that weather). So no mater how hot it is, you can't assume people won't be wearing a jacket because of the heat, unless its to hide something.
THIS! I'm a Florida native. Currently 90*F with intense humidity (and a bit of an unusual breeze, thankfully). Men wear suit jackets and neckties; women wear pantyhose and polyester. Hospitals, office buildings, grocery stores, movie theaters are so CHILLY that I always have a jacket or sweater handy while I'm wearing cool cotton clothing.
Riding a bicycle at 9 a.m. on a warm summer morning in Florida or Texas would be mostly comfortable, especially with your motion creating a slight breeze. IMO

Something else I noticed - the doctor was gunned down right before he entered the scaffolding where construction was taking place.
(Shown in video below). Since the suspect was ahead, that means he was in the scaffolding when he turned around to shoot the doctor. Furthermore, the article states few people realized what happened and so far, no eye witness reports about hearing gunshots. Wonder if the suspect had a silencer. Either way, this seems more and more that this was premeditated versus impulsive. JMO

First responders describe effort to save doctor's life after shooting

Where are all of the caneras? Hard to imagine that there are not a ton of them around.

The killer in Florida a few months ago seemed to kill randomly. His name is Donaldson or something. I forget.

So it could be this killer is random as well.

Waiting for the camera info!

This was a recent case of retaliation for a well respected and brilliant doctor from Arizona.

High-profile forensic psychiatrist, who raised suspicions about JonBenet Ramsey's family during her murder investigation, is shot dead outside his office

DOnt think this has been linked yet. Some of the camera shots but from what I have seen not terribly close.
Houston police release scene photos from doctor's killing in Medical Center

Houston police release scene photos from doctor's killing in Medical Center

(Via KHOU 11)

IMO it’s a family member of a patient that died. He’s blaming the doctor for the loss of life.

LE can zoom in and enhance. They can use facial recognition software and any photos such as driver license photos will show up.

I think they will ger him. I wonder how long it takes for the software to work?

Does it identify a bunch of possibles and they have to sift through a lot of pictures?

LE can zoom in and enhance. They can use facial recognition software and any photos such as driver license photos will show up.

I think they will ger him. I wonder how long it takes for the software to work?

Does it identify a bunch of possibles and they have to sift through a lot of pictures?
Based on the images released, it's from such a far distance, they are not going to be able to zoom anywhere near to be able to use facial recognition software.

My opinion at this time is similar to that of my feelings in the Tristan Beaudette case, that it can go other way as to whether or not this was a random vs targeted shooting. While we know many homicides are personally motivated, I’ve just seen too many random shootings these days to rule it out at this time, based on what we know so far.

John Jacoby was riding his bicycle here in Northern Colorado in 2015 and was randomly gunned down. So it does happen, FTR. And as human mentioned, the Seminole shootings, etc.

It might be worth a peek to see if there are any other recent suspicious incidents which could be similar, even shots missed, or shots fired at pedestrians or motorists. Moo.

I’m also not omitting road rage yet, or some sort of drug induced psychosis, etc from the list of possibilities. Really, anything is possible I think.

Did Dr. H regularly bike this same route? Do we know where he was coming from and where he was going? Do we know how long he had been enroute? Sorry if I missed this.

I wonder what LE has determined thus far re: ballistics, etc.

No doubt this is a very high priority case for them.

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Maybe these descriptions might help those not local understand the photos better:

Photo #1 - Dr. H is circled green at the southwest corner of South Main and Holcombe Blvd. Both streets are major thoroughfares through the Houston Medical Center and highly traveled. Dr. H is heading north towards the hospitals and high rise medical offices. Most buildings are just a few short blocks away. Suspect is not seen in this picture.

Photo #2 - Dr. H is in the middle of the crosswalk of South Main at Holcombe. The suspect is circled red heading in the same direction but behind Dr. H, and has not yet entered the crosswalk.

Photo #3 - The suspect appears to have caught up to Dr. H in the middle of the crosswalk, which means the suspect was riding at a faster pace than his victim.

There is no photo of this, but from what we understand, the suspect passed Dr. H after Photo #3, must have stopped, turned round and shot Dr. H as he was facing him.

Photo #4 - The suspect is shown several blocks north and one block west of South Main & Holcombe and is now seen heading west on the south side of Southgate Street.

My thoughts and opinions:

• This all happened in a matter of less than 5 minutes, maybe even less than 3.
  • While the suspect must have been riding faster than Dr. H to have overtaken him and passed him, it must not have been at breakneck speed or erratic or he would have attracted more attention.
  • The suspect then turned onto a less traveled street, Southgate, that leads into a quiet residential area where he could have had a car parked and perhaps threw the bike into the back and easily have slipped away.

I am glad to see more information about this crime being publicized. Someone saw something and may not realize it. Unfortunately, it will take much time for LE to dig through all of Dr. H’s patients, colleagues, friends and acquaintances to see if there is a link there, which I suspect there is, somewhere. I pray it does not take as long as the Omaha case.

Based on the images released, it's from such a far distance, they are not going to be able to zoom anywhere near to be able to use facial recognition software.

I am sure they have plenty more pictures.

They probably have some closer ones. Why wouldn’t there be? But they are not going to release a close up so that someone in the public can decide it is a person known to them when it really isn’t.

Did someone already post a satellite map of the area? I feel like I saw one but cannot trace back to find it now. Here is my poorly done attempt to show the suspect’s route as we know it, highlighted by a thin red line. This is the suspect’s route depicted in the street cam photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bHYLEGLhkHogQNuM9

Note Methodist Hospital at the top right, which is where Dr. H practiced. His office may have been across the street or elsewhere in the area. I believe we were told he was headed to the hospital.

Note also the heavily treeed residential area that is at the left in the direction the suspect was last seen by camera heading toward.

Not seen in the photo, but several blocks north of this area on South Main is Rice University. I know this area fairly well as my FIL worked there, and my DD graduated from there. I have also had many personal medical experiences in the Houston Med Center.

Finally, while it is labeled MAIN ST. on this map, it is frequently called SOUTH MAIN to distinguish it from the downtown Houston area section of Main St. several miles north of the Med Center.

Did someone already post a satellite map of the area? I feel like I saw one but cannot trace back to find it now. Here is my poorly done attempt to show the suspect’s route as we know it, highlighted by a thin red line. This is the suspect’s route depicted in the street cam photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bHYLEGLhkHogQNuM9

Note Methodist Hospital at the top right, which is where Dr. H practiced. His office may have been across the street or elsewhere in the area. I believe we were told he was headed to the hospital.

Note also the heavily treeed residential area that is at the left in the direction the suspect was last seen by camera heading toward.

Not seen in the photo, but several blocks north of this area on South Main is Rice University. I know this area fairly well as my FIL worked there, and my DD graduated from there. I have also had many personal medical experiences in the Houston Med Center.

Finally, while it is labeled MAIN ST. on this map, it is frequently called SOUTH MAIN to distinguish it from the downtown Houston area section of Main St. several miles north of the Med Center.

His office was slightly further north in between Fannin and Main. Right before Hermann Park.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back