MI MI - Alexandra Brueger, 31, Fatally Shot While Jogging, Rose Twp, 30 July 2016 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi SeesSeas - I agree that LE doesn't have time "to provide weekly comfort or hand-holding" as you phrased it.

However, a motivated detective who wants to close a case has time to keep the lines of communication open with involved parties.

Based on that comment in the article attributed to the victim's mother, it appears that unless Nikki was taking the initiative to make contact, then no contact was occurring on the investigator's end.

I've followed enough cases here and elsewhere (almost nine years) to know that a motivated detective doesn't wait for a victim's family to reach out. A motivated detective makes it a point to reach out. The fact that a month went by, after only the first three weeks, without an investigator reaching out to the victim's mother is troubling to me.
But they were working on the case during that timeframe. . . to the point that they detained suspect Brian Perigo on October 18. They got search warrants signed on October 17. That would have required much investigation and evidence to get search warrants. Possibly several weeks, or longer, of covert work.

Suspect in murder of Holly jogger says he is innocent
On October 18th, Brian Perigo would go from being a Rose Township resident to a suspect in the murder of Alexandra Brueger.
[...]
While he was taken to jail, Perigo says police interrogated his family, friends and boss, impounded his white car, tore up his home and garage and destroyed his boat..
[...]
Perigo was told investigators were looking for any evidence that may link him to the murder, including a pair of sandals surveillance images show the suspect they believe was wearing at the time.

"He kept asking me questions and showing me pictures," he said. "I said that's not me, I don't wear sandals.

"He asked if I would take a polygraph, I said absolutely. I have nothing to hide, I went down, took a polygraph and passed it."

Perigo says his life was turned upside down all because of a bogus tip. According to the search warrants, they were signed Oct. 17th.
[...]

TY for your input Shire.

So if it's not a well travelled road, then witnesses spotting a white/light-colored 4-door sedan at/around the time of Ally's murder, then that vehicle may be important.

Does anyone know how soon first responders arrived on the scene after the man called 911 and tried to help Ally?

I listened to the recording of the call but it wasn't clear from that. He says to the despatcher he has to go and help her and leaves the phone off the hook. The call is upsetting.

Years ago where I lived in MN, a young girl was hit by a kid in a yellow car.

My neighbor boy was wild and had a yellow car. When nothing was happening, I called him in. The LE told me that many people had called in that boy and he was not invloved. Eventually, they got the guy.

It could be the BP fit some kind of profile and that is why he was reported

A woman won't necessarily mention to her significant other if she's being pursued/harassed by another man.

To all the men out there: It may surprise you how seldom women mention this to their intimate partners.

Firstly, women have the tendency to downplay/minimize/or otherwise ignore the unwanted attention of other men, since we get it on a frequent basis.

Secondly, women can be and are oftentimes reticent to disclose to their intimate partners any knowledge of unwanted male attention because they don't want to deal with a more-than-likely response from their male partners.

Responses which can (not always, but very frequently) include: A jealous, possessiveness reaction that compels him to confront the other male in order to 'protect his territory', or, in cases where the male intimate partner tends toward suspicion - he accuses his female intimate partner of doing something that caused her to become a target of the attention - i.e. flirting, dressing provocatively, or otherwise inviting the attention in some manner.

Oftentimes, women believe they can handle an unwanted suitor situation on their own and never say a word to anyone about it.

I so agree with you here. Also, as A had gone back to live at home she could have been open to other acquaintances or friendly approaches, we don't know.

But they were working on the case during that timeframe. . . to the point that they detained suspect Brian Perigo on October 18. They got search warrants signed on October 17. That would have required much investigation and evidence to get search warrants. Possibly several weeks, or longer, of covert work.

Suspect in murder of Holly jogger says he is innocent
On October 18th, Brian Perigo would go from being a Rose Township resident to a suspect in the murder of Alexandra Brueger.
[...]
While he was taken to jail, Perigo says police interrogated his family, friends and boss, impounded his white car, tore up his home and garage and destroyed his boat..
[...]
Perigo was told investigators were looking for any evidence that may link him to the murder, including a pair of sandals surveillance images show the suspect they believe was wearing at the time.

"He kept asking me questions and showing me pictures," he said. "I said that's not me, I don't wear sandals.

"He asked if I would take a polygraph, I said absolutely. I have nothing to hide, I went down, took a polygraph and passed it."

Perigo says his life was turned upside down all because of a bogus tip. According to the search warrants, they were signed Oct. 17th.
[...]

Good - I'm glad investigators were actively working the case.

The article that I posted about Nikki claiming that LE hadn't reached out to her in a month's time was posted on Sept. 21, 2016. More than three weeks before LE's interrogation of BP. I think the least they could have done was inform Ally's mother that they had leads they were following, if for no other reason than to let her know they hadn't forgotten about Ally.

I hope they're still actively working the case, despite almost two years having passed.

The article that I posted about Nikki claiming that LE hadn't reached out to her in a month's time was posted on Sept. 21, 2016. More than three weeks before LE's interrogation of BP. I think the least they could have done was inform Ally's mother that they had leads they were following, if for no other reason than to let her know they hadn't forgotten about Ally.

I hope they're still actively working the case, despite almost two years having passed.
I hope so too. Maybe we'll get an update next week. Hopefully there will be a news article and LE will comment.
If I was mom, I would have contacted the detective every single week, especially in those first few months, even if I didn't have any information to provide them. I would not be waiting for them to call me. I'd be the squeaky wheel! Makes me wonder why she didn't do that.

I hope so too. Maybe we'll get an update next week. Hopefully there will be a news article and LE will comment.
If I was mom, I would have contacted the detective every single week, especially in those first few months, even if I didn't have any information to provide them. I would not be waiting for them to call me. I'd be the squeaky wheel! Makes me wonder why she didn't do that.

Made me wonder why too...
It also meant that because Nikki was kinda just sitting back this way.... I had to step up and try to be the squeaky wheel! But I really had no leverage to push investigators because we weren’t married.
And the people with ALL the leverage (her parents) were just sitting back waiting for someone to call them....
It was incredibly frustrating!!!
E3B946A3-F494-4E42-89F0-DFCB76F8B1B7.png

I don't know what kind of previous experience she has with LE, or what they told her as the investigation progressed. She was grieving and can any of us say how we would behave? I know we often say we would do this or that or would never say this, but then we watch families do just that, or we hear from victims who've been through it and their choices made sense to them.

That was a long time ago too, and it's possible she formed relationships with the detectives or things changed after they questioned PB.

The detectives though, they've been here. They know what they're doing. No excuses for them to not keep in touch with the family.

It also meant that because Nikki was kinda just sitting back this way.... I had to step up and try to be the squeaky wheel! But I really had no leverage to push investigators because we weren’t married.
And the people with ALL the leverage (her parents) were just sitting back waiting for someone to call them....
View attachment 139549

Based on this article that I linked upthread, it appears that Nikki was contacting LE.

Murder on the mind: The hunt for Ally Brueger's killer

She calls the police when she thinks of things that might be important to the investigation, but says they have not reached out to her for a month.

I don't know what kind of previous experience she has with LE, or what they told her as the investigation progressed. She was grieving and can any of us say how we would behave? I know we often say we would do this or that or would never say this, but then we watch families do just that, or we hear from victims who've been through it and their choices made sense to them.

That was a long time ago too, and it's possible she formed relationships with the detectives or things changed after they questioned PB.

The detectives though, they've been here. They know what they're doing. No excuses for them to not keep in touch with the family.
Yet, it seems LE was in contact. Here's the rest of that paragraph, stating Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw was at a Rose Township board meeting the prior week:
September 21, 2016
She calls the police when she thinks of things that might be important to the investigation, but says they have not reached out to her for a month. Her husband attended the Rose Township board meeting last week in which Shaw had little news to share with a room packed full of frightened residents seeking answers.

Yet, it seems LE was in contact. Here's the rest of that paragraph, stating Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw was at a Rose Township board meeting the prior week:
September 21, 2016
She calls the police when she thinks of things that might be important to the investigation, but says they have not reached out to her for a month. Her husband attended the Rose Township board meeting last week in which Shaw had little news to share with a room packed full of frightened residents seeking answers.
So then what are you wondering about?

Not me wondering. Just following the original dialogue started by sorrell skye.
From an article dated Sept. 21, 2016 - 7 weeks after Ally was killed.

[Nikki] calls the police when she thinks of things that might be important to the investigation, but says they have not reached out to her for a month.

I'm gobsmacked by the bolded portion.

I wonder how hard the investigators have ever really worked this case. After the first few weeks, it doesn't seem as if they made any effort to reach out to the mother. IMO, that's not a good sign in terms of LE's motivation to solve this case.

September 21, 2016

If I lived in that area, I wouldn't have taken comfort in "little news". I would have been frightened, as well.

A vibrant young woman had been gunned down in broad daylight while out on an afternoon jog.

IMO, the local residents need to hold LE to account.

BBM

Not me wondering. Just following the original dialogue started by sorrell skye.

But you were wondering.

BBM

But you were wondering.
But I had already explained that aspect in these words which seem quite clear:
I would not be waiting for them to call me. I'd be the squeaky wheel! Makes me wonder why she didn't do that.

@Combatmedic2121 comprehended what I was "wondering", and responded with his agreement of "wondering":
<modsnip: snarky>

Last edited by a moderator:

If Nikki is still considered a suspect, I'm not surprised LE isn't reaching out to her. Especially considering the FBI is involved. The MSP said last year that they don't believe it was random.

Investigators said it's believed Brueger knew her attacker and that the shooting was not random.

"There was some evidence at the scene that would make us think that this was not random, but we're not ruling anything out. The investigation has not gone cold," Shaw said, reminding people to be on the lookout whenever they're out jogging.

Family seeks answers after jogger killed by four shotgun blasts to her back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members