Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #34

I know that it could be said that justice was served when EG offed herself, but to me that just created more victims, specifically her two sons and her daughter. She didn't deserve to raise them or be a mom to them, but they deserved to be able to have her there when they were old enough to confront her as to why she wasn't.
IMO her children had a lucky escape,I noticed this in another case,seems to be a pattern of this and the step kids get murdered by the step parent.

With confirmation that Lucas was seen on Thursday and Friday, it makes more sense now that Christian's statement of not seeing him was likely due to his fear of becoming involved or even implicated in his disappearance. Her bringing home this poor, mentally ill, homeless young man makes me wonder how far she had fallen into the grips of hard drugs. She brought him into her home perhaps knowing that she was safe from being judged and comfortable using with a down and out fellow addict? I am just assuming that he was most likely an addict, and if he wasn't, you have to wonder how weird she really was.

Poor Lucas being subjected to this and suffering the consequences. This case is one of the most tragic that I have seen, mainly because it should have been prevented.

I've been given the green light to discuss anything pertaining to Lucas's case. If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them. The DA and Captain didn't include every little detail, so if they've told us something that wasn't included I'm free to share it.

I don't know much about the dogs. I know nothing about what or if they hit on anything. I'm not 100% positive that cadaver dogs were ever used by LE.

The landlord DID see and speak to Lucas through the door around 5:30 Friday evening.
Aww bless him,talking through the door..x

A couple of the things that are important to me and I believe will be part of it are 1) if you have children that you are only allowed supervised access to, then you should be disallowed from caring for or being around children unsupervised and 2) if one parent is involved with DCF then the other parent needs to be notified.

FLA

This is the very first time I have been able to comment on a thread to a member of family, I would like to say firstly I'm so very sorry for your loss,and I appreciate you coming on WS and letting us know the details of your loved one,and answering questions,it really helps,god bless you and your family..xx

I really appreciate FLA , ESO, Pink & others being so candid with us. I truly believe that God holds a special place for you. I want you to know that this case touched my friend ao deeply that she made a career change and is now working in the foster care industry. I'm certain that she's not the only person to be inspired to do something similar by your story. He is changing lives.

My questions:

Do you feel that CR's death was intentional on his part? I can certainly see how he could have felt he had no other option, especially if he suffered from mental illness.

Was the location of the biggest initial search (K96) & the actual location found (96th st) truly a bizarre coincidence, or did the (96) come from a tip or other source (I thought perhaps CR)?

Did Emily eat alone at Olive Garden?

Was Emily involved in other criminal activity ie drug sales etc?

Was the landfill searched?

It has come out that Anthony & Evan had the same DCF case-worker. Do you know if that same person worked on Lucas' case?

I will be watching to see where Lucas' Law takes you and will be on board to support it, however that ends up looking. I wish God's peace to you and ypur family. You are a class act!

Do you any thoughts about Lucas’ Law?
I hope to work closely with those working to pass Lucas's Law! I've seen lots of talk about it in the past months, but wasn't ready to really dig into what needs to be changed law-wise for children. I know that there are groups elsewhere talking about Lucas's Law, but I believe our family needs to be the ones to push for changes if they're going to be in Lucas's name. A couple of the things that are important to me and I believe will be part of it are 1) if you have children that you are only allowed supervised access to, then you should be disallowed from caring for or being around children unsupervised and 2) if one parent is involved with DCF then the other parent needs to be notified.[ posted by FindLucasAllen]

This ^^^ bolded portion is so important. I totally agree that these need to be legal requirements/

It was so maddening that the courts could take away EG's rights to care for her own sons, and yet she could be given total responsibility for her boyfriend's child, and continued to be in charge, even when many people called in accusations of abuse, and there were bruises and injuries evident.

It still makes me so upset to think about that frustrating situation. I can only imagine how horrifying it was for the family to deal with.
Blue portion above: Absolutely maddening, but equally maddening is that the father of Lucas could hand his son over to someone who lost rights to care for her own sons and to also ignore abuse complaints and purposely cover for the abuse, IMO.

Blue portion above: Absolutely maddening, but equally maddening is that the father of Lucas could hand his son over to someone who lost rights to care for her own sons and to also ignore abuse complaints and purposely cover for the abuse, IMO.
Ah, that reminds me of another question. Did JH, in fact, KNOW that EG had lost rights to her sons and the real reason that happened - or was he also lied to by her? I can see that as a possibility - JH seems to always take her word at face value. Also - are there more specific incidents of her harming her boys or doing things to put them in danger that haven't been publicized?

And another - I'm sorry if I'm being overbearing......did Jamie ever get a chance to talk to Emily, whether face to face, by phone or text, at any time after Lucas' disappearance/death?

Did the police focus at all on Emily's other family members who she was close with, such as her cousins?

You're killing me, ESO

I'm so grateful to everyone who searched. To see so many people come together for Lucas was such a bright spot in very dark time.

I'll forever have a special appreciation for you, pink, nc66, gig, Henry, and PF. You guys really are amazing.
I love all of the descriptive nicknames that evolved

The Nancy Grace podcasts would get me so fired up because of all the inaccuracies and just plain wrong information. I’d be yelling at the show and then speed texting in our group chats about how ridiculous that podcast could be at times. Frustrating to deal with stuff like that doesn’t even begin to describe how it feels. I literally assumed Nancy Grace of all people, would vet her guests before putting them on her show. PB was probably the only guest who gave accurate information. The rest you have to take with a grain of salt so to speak.

I was stunned when they mentioned the “10th or 11th and the bathroom” as factual. I think they got so caught up in the story, they started grasping at anything for a good headline. It was disappointing.

I did want to add to the discussion tips for families in a situation like Lucas’s. From my time at CPS, I learned the most vulnerable kids are the ones who are not yet school aged, live in a home with a parent and an unrelated adult (like a boyfriend or girlfriend), have history of domestic violence and/or substance abuse and have little to no access to their other biological parent or extended family. I learned that babies don’t bruise, unless by serious injury or illness. And one of the most high risk times for abuse surrounds potty training. It’s amazing how many people who beat their children due to having potty accidents.

I would say that if both parents have shared or joint custody (regardless of where the child lives) the other parents often feel like they can’t do anything because they only have visitation. But that’s not true. If your child comes home with bruises, take them to a doctor or ER immediately. Do it every time. You need to have mandated reporters like doctors, teachers and therapists see your child. Call 911 so an officer can document the injuries, even if they can’t do anything, there will be a record. Call for well child checks when the child is with the other potential abusive parent. Especially if the residential parent denies visitation due to the other child “being sick”. Often it can be that the child is too bruised or scarred and they are trying to hide the abuse. You can insist on taking the child anyway, know your rights. Get a protective order for your child against their abuser (like dad’s girlfriend or mom’s boyfriend). Have other people witness your child’s injuries or scars. Document everything and take photos of them. But be very careful with questioning your child, you will want to learn how to discuss what’s going on with them. There are lots of books and resources out there to help you. Report everything to CPS, even if every time they don’t seem to find anything wrong, it’s a paper trail that matters. Finally, most states have what they call “self help” in their court system. You can find all the forms necessary to ask for emergency custody, parenting plans, custody changes.....you can act as your own attorney and it’s more successful then you might think. Insist on having a parenting plan filed, even if you weren’t married to your child’s other parent. Make sure to include a clause for Rights for First Refusal. Basically, what it means is if a parent will be gone for a certain length of time (like more than 3 or 4) during visitation, the other parent has the right to keep the child over a babysitter or other family member. I’ve also seen people include in their parenting plans a clause that says no live in girlfriend or boyfriend for either parent.

It is a frustrating and helpless feeling when you have a child you think may be abused and there is nothing you can do about it. Running away with the child may seem like a good idea, but it’s not. It will mean that once caught, you won’t have any access to your child. Don’t let the court system intimidate you. As an extended family member, you could go thru the process of becoming a foster home, or have a formal home study done. The courts would require that anyway if an extended family member was trying to get custody of an abused or neglected child. There are advocacy groups out there, use social media if you aren’t getting any help from the legal system. Ask for a guardian ad litem or CASA volunteer. Research what signs to look for if a child is being abused or neglected. Are they regressing like having accidents despite being potty trained for instance? Look at where your child’s bruises are, some are more indicative of abuse than others. For instance, the back of legs, ones that encircle the limbs, even the size and shape are important. Is the child having trouble sleeping? Are they clingy? Are they slow to meet normal milestones, have they stopped growing? How is their appetite? How do they react to other adults in your presence, how are their social skills? Do your research, ask lots of questions, don’t be scared to use the legal system. Don’t let the other parent intimidate or threaten you. Even if you aren’t getting anywhere, trying to be proactive in limiting their risk factors. That needs to be put in place right away, even if you are coparenting well together. If you find yourself in a situation where suspected abuse is happening, make sure to conduct yourself like you are in front of a judge or social worker......don’t threaten or yell or become spiteful. Even if the other parent acts that way to you, don’t reciprocate because a judge will look at how you behave and handle this tough situations.

I wish I could say there is one place you can turn too to help but it’s just not how it is. Unfortunately their are people who abuse the system out of spite. People will make reports to CPS because they are in a custody dispute, they aren’t reporting abuse, they are basically reporting complaints. I think there needs to be a change in how reports are taken. I think mandated reporters need to have dedicated lines and people in custody disputes should have another. I think that if there are more than 3-4 reports filed in a 6 month to a year time frame should trigger a CINC case. I think if the other parent has any domestic violence calls to their home should also be notified to the other parent as well as CPS. I could go on but anyway......I’m grateful to have met Lucas’s family and that we were able to help in the search. Lucas is now at peace, I’m just hopeful he may save other kids from ending up like him. The biggest tragedy would be if he died in vain.
Excellent advice!

@FindLucasAllen, my heart breaks for you. I’m amazed at how well you were able to diplomatically handle the stress that comes along with such a tragic case. You were an amazing advocate for Lucas. He was lucky to have you.

I’m sure you’re emotionally exhausted. Please take care of yourself as you begin to recover from this trauma. You would make an excellent advocate for other families of the missing. I’m sure there are groups or organizations that would welcome you with open arms . Your experience would be invaluable and would be a wonderful legacy to Lucas.

Thank you to all of the WSers who came together and helped the family and community strategize, map, advocate and search for Lucas. It was inspiring and heartwarming. It’s strange to say, but I’ll miss all of you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back