Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
75% of people who commit suicide do it at home. They want their bodies to be found.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/basic-suicide-facts/where/
I don't have Harvard statistics on where the 25% who don't kill themselves at home commit their final act. Through personal experience, I will attest that the vast majority of the 25% likely end their lives in a place where there bodies will easily be found. This doesn't apply for Mollie. Many people searched for days to find her. Drones were sent up looking for her body. Law enforcement stated every barn, shed, garage, house, and back road was searched in two small cities.
Have her parents raised concern that possibly it was suicide? A lot of times, if LEO feel that the missing individual is a danger to themselves they will put that out there to the public. I haven't heard of any concerns from family or friends that she was suicidal. The only "evidence" is her posts, but I thought I read somewhere that she a psychology major.

I hope the 24 year male that was taken into custody on the 20th is not linked to her disappearance. Grinnell is a small town - wonder if the brothers knew him? Work? MMA? Might not be anything connected to Mollie but we have few concise clues to go on here.

I believe that the LE are likely interviewing those close to her to find out her habits. I bet LE now knows all sorts of details about Mollie's habits when it comes to wearing/removing contacts, wearing/removing eyeglasses, taking the dogs out, jogging, social messaging, sleepwear, and more. I think we can't do anything but go over the same questions over and over again about these things because we can't have access to interviews with those close to her yet.

Basically, I am saying that there are too many variables when it comes to things like sleepwear, dog walking, contact wearing, etc. to come up with a useful scenario without knowing Mollie's habits.

I also agree with those of you who say not to read too much into the mental health posts on her social media yet. No MSM article has given any indication that Mollie struggles with mental health issues yet. I agree with those of you who point out that she is a Psych major, so she is probably interested in mental health awareness. Also, mental health awareness is a trending topic online and elsewhere due to events in the news (ex. Anthony Bourdain, Kate Spade) and media (13 Reasons Why).

All I feel we can really do right now is spread the word about her case to help get her picture visible to as many people as possible and to send her our prayers and thoughts. She is such a lovely young woman. I truly hope that this case has a happy ending. My heart and thoughts are with her....
Very well put!!

I have a hard time believing the neighbor that said they saw Mollie jogging around 10:00 pm. Its was dark, it was in the country, and she did not have her glasses/contacts. The timeline is still not clear when reading various news articles.
She was not jogging at 10pm. That has already been established. The neighbor saw her around 5:30, she texted with her mother around 7:30, and her boyfriend opened the Snapchat around 10pm.

The sheriff's office said it's unusual for a missing person search to go on this long in the town.

"We've had missing persons before, but usually we find them the same day or a couple days later," Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel told ABC News on Monday. "We never had one this long that I can recall."

In this close-knit farming community of about 1,500 people, everyone knows everyone, Kriegel said. But the rural area makes the search difficult.

"We're surrounded by farm ground -- corn and soy beans. Right now the corn is probably eight, nine feet tall. The only way you can search it is basically walk down every other row," he said. "It's difficult. Even the planes flying over have a difficulty looking down in the corn rows."

Crews have searched every road, every ditch and every body of water near town, the sheriff said. On Friday authorities also conducted a large ground search of the areas around Brooklyn -- and at least 250 people came out to help.

In addition, a helicopter and a plane flew over the area, he said, and kayakers searched miles along the small rivers on both sides of town.
Search for daughter who went missing while jogging is 'excruciating,' mom says

The doting aunt also described her niece as "smart and funny" and "a bit of a smart *advertiser censored*." Tibbetts is also special and selfless, Calderwood said.

"She's the kind of person who is there for anybody anytime and would be the first person to help anyone," she said.

While the family has been limited with what information the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office has disseminated to them, Calderwood praised the hard work by authorities.

“I know the investigators are doing everything they need to do to find her,” she said. “The important thing is to stay out of the way and let them do what they need to do, and not be a hindrance.”

But patience has proven tough.

“It’s hard,” she admitted. “We want to grab them and ask ‘What’s going on?' But they can’t and they shouldn’t say too much, and you have to respect it.”

Tibbets' aunt said that the word needs to get out because "We want our Mollie back."

And she and the family believe Tibbetts is going to be found safe—and soon.

“We’re counting on it.”
Aunt of missing 20-year-old Iowa University student: "We want our Mollie back"

they will be able to check the data and tell if she was at home after the snapchat post at 10.

There has been no confirmation as to when she sent it for sure. The boyfriend opened it at 10pm, but maybe he was busy and didn’t see it until then. She could have sent it at 7pm and he didn’t open it until 10pm.

Have her parents raised concern that possibly it was suicide? A lot of times, if LEO feel that the missing individual is a danger to themselves they will put that out there to the public. I haven't heard of any concerns from family or friends that she was suicidal. The only "evidence" is her posts, but I thought I read somewhere that she a psychology major.
She is a psych major and her future sister-in-law recently graduated with her psychology degree. It is normal for people with psych occupations to advocate for mental health awareness issues. It doesn't mean they are suicidal.
She was advocating for people with mental health needs on her social media.

Last edited:
The sheriff's office said it's unusual for a missing person search to go on this long in the town.

"We've had missing persons before, but usually we find them the same day or a couple days later," Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel told ABC News on Monday. "We never had one this long that I can recall."

In this close-knit farming community of about 1,500 people, everyone knows everyone, Kriegel said. But the rural area makes the search difficult.

"We're surrounded by farm ground -- corn and soy beans. Right now the corn is probably eight, nine feet tall. The only way you can search it is basically walk down every other row," he said. "It's difficult. Even the planes flying over have a difficulty looking down in the corn rows."

Crews have searched every road, every ditch and every body of water near town, the sheriff said. On Friday authorities also conducted a large ground search of the areas around Brooklyn -- and at least 250 people came out to help.

In addition, a helicopter and a plane flew over the area, he said, and kayakers searched miles along the small rivers on both sides of town.
Search for daughter who went missing while jogging is 'excruciating,' mom says

Now this to me sounds like they don’t have any idea what happened to her. :(

Nobody, except a few people on Websleuths, have suggested Mollie was suicidal. Her cousin, her best friend, and a co-worker have all commented that Mollie was doing fine and looking forward to going to an exotic beach vacation next week. She was also making efforts to find new furniture for her college apartment for the fall semester. She was outside the evening she vanished running for exercise in the heat and humidity. This is NOT the behavior of a suicidal person.

Personally I don't think that is a solid alibi. Unless LEO have looked into their activity ALL night.
I agree - they need to interview everyone who knew she was alone in the house dog sitting - start with the house full of people that she was living with- her boyfriend, her boyfriends brother and his girlfriend.

Assuming reports that the BF was out of town are accurate and based on her VSCO, I now think suicide is most likely.
What on earth about her VSCO page gives you that feeling? She shares 3 or 4 posts that discuss mental health. She could be an advocate of mental health, or could have gone through her own mental health struggles so she feels strongly about it. I see a lot of posts about the love she receives from her friends and her boyfriend, as well as plenty of posts that show her confidence in herself. I see no posts that express suicidal ideations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752