Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

I wonder if Mr. R. was able to say anything to the neighbors when he was able to escape the home. He expired shortly thereafter on the lawn.
Hope so! AR remained alive until later that same evening.. wonder if it is possible that he was able to communicate at all in those hours.

"Carla Rutherford, 64, died on the way to the hospital after firefighters pulled her out of the burning home on Greening Court, in the city’s Dundas area, around 3:45 a.m. Monday.

Allan Rutherford, 65, was able to escape and knock on a neighbour’s door for help, police say. He was found on the lawn and rushed to hospital in critical condition, but died that evening."

Couple were killed in deliberate blaze: Hamilton cops

"Fire marshal investigator Dave Emberlin said he has determined a cause, but cannot discuss it. He confirmed the fire marshal is still investigating — but that any details have to come from Hamilton Police.

Emberlin said the fire marshal’s office will complete a report on the fire, but it will only go to Hamilton police — at least until their investigation is completed."

Dundas fatal fire investigation continues

Just pointing out that this happened in the middle of the night last Sunday (fire set in the early hours of Monday), so wonder if some kind of dispute happened over the weekend?

From the article above (not sure this had been mentioned before?):

"The Dundas Museum and Archives issued a statement saying Alan was a dedicated gardener who volunteered to help maintain the floral display and landscaping on the museum grounds."

Seems it only took 'a few hours' for them to know the fire was 'criminal' in nature. If AR had been able to tell the neighbours anything, wouldn't it have been immediate?

"Police quickly took the lead in a criminal investigation a few hours after the early morning fire on Monday, July 9.

"An Ontario Fire Marshal investigator at the site Monday afternoon said he could not confirm any details.

"“If it weren’t a criminal investigation, I’d tell you everything I know,” said Dave Emberlin."

And took 4 days to 'officially determine' it was a double homicide.

"Hamilton police have officially determined the double-fatality fire at 8 Greening Crt. in Dundas Monday was a homicide.

""After four days of investigation at the fire scene, the Ontario Fire Marshal and the Hamilton Police Service Major Crime Unit have determined the fire was deliberately set. Carla and Alan Rutherford were victims of homicide," police stated in a press release."

Dundas fire deaths ruled homicide

I wonder if there has been any complaints about the dogs from anyone?

At least one of their dogs was a rescue.

Rescue dogs can be 'problem' dogs, vocalizing too much (howling) and other behaviours. All rescue dogs deserve a wonderful forever home but it can be a challenge.

Wonder if someone complained and the dogs were kept downstairs to try to minimize noise or did the poor dog just race to the basement from the fire?

Can't imagine anyone setting a house on fire over dogs but you never know.

Some people just HATE dogs.

What a horrible crime and what an amazing man to get out, go find help.

RIP Mr. and Mrs. Rutherford

‘Alan was nothing short of heroic’: Dundas man tried to get help for his wife before he died
With his final breaths, Alan Rutherford somehow dragged his burned body to a neighbour's door trying to get help for his wife.

They had been asleep in their bed at the back of their Dundas house when flames broke out in their room. The fire escalated quickly into an inferno that towered well over the roof of their single-storey home and above the trees lining Grove Cemetery behind them.

In the early morning darkness and the chaos of the blaze, Alan — a grandfather who loved to run and sail — escaped his once tidy little ranch house, past his still lovely garden and the two cars in the driveway and made it to his next-door neighbour's porch.

It was the last thing he ever did.
Security video seized by detectives from a nearby home may have caught images of the arsonist, says Bereziuk. A forensic video expert is reviewing it for clues and police are looking for more video from other cameras and sorting information gathered from knocking on doors on little Greening Court, where the couple lived, and on nearby streets.

Neighbours on the quiet and close-knit court are not in danger, Bereziuk says, hoping to quell fears that the fatal fire was the work of vandals randomly preying on the Rutherfords' house.

Opinion | ‘Alan was nothing short of heroic’: Dundas man tried to get help for his wife before he died

This is just a sad and sickening case.
According to LE, its not random. They have stated that neighbors are not in danger. I feel they have more evidence leading to the monster who did this than they are saying.
How could someone hate so much to do this to a couple while they slept?
What did they hope to gain?
Revenge? Money? Hateful

Anyone find it odd that LE have publicly stated the obvious, in that the first people they look at are the family? I mean, that is a given. Those who have been following the Sherman case in Toronto have never heard police state that they are working toward speaking to close members of the family, or that 'at this point family has been cooperative', even though it only makes sense that they would start there.

2:29 Reporter: Are there any suspects at this point?

2:31 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: The natural route for this investigation is to initially look at the people closest to the victims. That's where we have begun. You have to keep in mind this investigation is still very early and we're working towards speaking to close members of the family and at this point I can say that the family has been cooperative with us.

3:30 Reporter: Are any of your suspects family members?

3:32 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: Uh we've been working with the family and uh, they have been cooperative.

Is it possible that LE has politely asked the local media to stay quiet as they have a suspect in their sights and are just collecting a bit more info, dotting i's; crossing t's, etc. before an arrest?

Quite possible. This is Canada, eh. I’m a proud Canadian, so I can say that. I’m not making fun. LE seems to keep information quiet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back