GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #10

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/justice/michael-dunn-sentencing/index.html

Parent's impact statements during sentencing (may not be complete?):

In tears, McBath remembered her son. She said she forgave Dunn.
"I miss his big, wide, toothy smile," she said. "For me, there will be no college graduation. There will be no daughter-in-law. For me, there will be no future generation."
She added, "I too must be willing to forgive. And so I choose to forgive you Mr. Dunn for taking my son's life. I pray that God has mercy on your soul."
Davis said he life was changed forever.
"My life as I had known it was shattered on November 23, 2012," he told the court. "I now call it Black Friday for a completely different reason. After the longest hour of my life, the hospital confirmed that Jordan Russell Davis was deceased in the emergency room. ... The old Ron Davis died that night with Jordan."
Davis called Dunn's apology "paper thin."
"You can tell the defense attorney wrote that for him," he told CNN. "It was not heartfelt. There wasn't a tear in his eyes, no tremble in his voice. He had no remorse whatsoever."

more of parents' statements:

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/n...enced-death-jordan-davis/nhk9d/?__federated=1

Jordan Davis' mother, Lucia McBath, spoke in court. "I miss his big, wide, toothy smile," said McBath. She went on to say he had a perfect smile and will keep him alive through photos on the wall.
"He [Jordan] will be with me for all of eternity," said McBath. "I chose to forgive you Michael Dunn for taking my son's life."
McBath's husband, Curtis McBath, and Jordan Davis' stepmother, Carolina Davis, also spoke during the hearing.
Dunn looked down as Jordan Davis' father, Ron Davis, spoke at court. Ron Davis said wishes no parent had to cry these type of tears.
Ron said he gave Jordan Davis his first kiss and could never imagine giving him his last kiss.

Finally watched MD's "apology." So insincere and he was still trying to justify what he did. I just don't understand his line of thinking at all. Really -- what would he do differently?? NOT shoot up a car full of teen boys???!!!!!

"I want the Davis family to know I truly regret what happened. I'm sorry for their loss," Dunn said. "If I could roll back time and do things differently, I would."

Dunn continued, "I was in fear for my life and I did what I thought I had to do. Still, I am mortified I took a life, whether it was justified or not."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/michael-dunns-sentencing-hearing-scheduled-for-friday-morning/29185992

Agree, daisy7. It was the worst non-apology, in my opinion. I have the feeling this man still believes he did nothing wrong. He hasn't a clue ..... For a long time, I thought he just used self-defense as the only excuse they could come up with for a possible not-guilty; but I now think he honestly believes he was justified. I have never heard his parents speak; was he raised to feel such entitlement? I would never want to meet this man under any circumstances. He probably hates anything that is not what he chooses, or meets his approval.

Thanks so much spellbound as soon as I asked that I got busy and just now saw it! Breaks my heart :(

Michael Dunn has his appeal heard. Lawyers ask for new trial for Michael Dunn in 17-year-old's shooting death in dispute about loud music.

Attorney Terry Roberts argued Tuesday that the convictions and life sentence should be thrown out because prosecutors did not successfully rebut Dunn’s statement that Davis threatened to kill him minutes before the shooting. Roberts also said forensic pathologist Stacey Simons shouldn’t have testified about whether Davis had opened the vehicle’s door because she is not an accident scene reconstructionist.
But the three-judge panel appeared skeptical. Judge Thomas Winkour pointed out that Dunn was heard yelling, “You’re not going to talk to me that way” by someone in the Gate parking lot before he started firing, but no one heard Davis threaten to kill Dunn.

Roberts also said Simons, who worked for the Duval County Medical Examiner’s Office at the time, didn’t have the expertise to testify that Davis was sitting in the vehicle and that the car door wasn’t open at the time he was shot. Simons’ expertise is in pathology, not accident reconstruction, and Circuit Judge Russell Healey should not have allowed Simons to testify about issues that she wasn’t an expert on, Roberts said. But Assistant Attorney General Matthew Pavese said Healey examined what Simons was planning to say and determined that she did have the expertise to discuss the matter.
Dunn was not at Tuesday’s hearing and will remain in a Florida prison while the judicial panel considers his appeal. The judges did not say when they would rule on the appeal. But most rulings occur a couple of months after oral arguments conclude.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...hael-dunn-17-year-olds-shooting-death-dispute#

OMG this creep. He won't get his conviction reversed. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am confused by that article. The appeal occured last June. There are links to it in two posts above. A slow day perhaps at LA Sentinal or at Associated Press?

:blushing: I hadn't even noticed that, although I should have. Old news in a recently published article it appears. My apologies!

I visited Jacksonville, Florida for the first time this past weekend as I had family who recently moved there. Out of all the gas stations in Jacksonville, Florida... I ended up at the gas station Jordan Davis was murdered at. I didn't even realize it at first. I went inside to get a Powerball ticket while the rest of my travelling party went to the restroom. When I went back to my car and waited for my party, I looked up and seen a Memorial mounted on the wall outside of the gas station. I started reading it and I literally started shaking. I ran back into the gas station and pulled the attendant to the side and asked her if this was where Jordan Davis was murdered (I know, DUH!!!... I was just so shocked that I was actually there). She said it was. I went back into my car and started crying. For those who followed Jordan's case, I included the picture I took. R.I.P. Jordan. Jordan Davis.jpg

Michael Dunn's appeal denied

November 17, 2016

Rejecting self-defense arguments in a case that drew national attention, an appeals court on Thursday upheld the first-degree murder conviction of a man who fatally shot a teen in the parking lot of a Jacksonville convenience store nearly four years ago.

Florida's First District Court of Appeal found that Michael Dunn received a fair trial when he was convicted of murder and attempted murder charges in the 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis and shooting at three friends. The court affirmed Dunn's convictions and denied a motion for acquittal.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/michael-dunn-attorneys-file-appeal-in-tallahassee_

Thank you Greater Than for the update. Good news about the appeal. I'm sure it wiped the natural condescending smirk off Dunn`s face. I hope he enjoys his jail time among black inmates.

Trayvon's parents have written a book. I`m sure they relived their son`s murder each time another black youth was killed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/trayvon-martin-parents-book-1.3967568

It wasn't supposed to take Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin five years to write a book about the death of their son, Trayvon Martin. But their grief has made finding the words unbearable until now.

Martin's parents collaborated to write Rest In Power: The Enduring Life of Trayvon Martin. The book recounts the journey of two grieving parents in America, thrust into the spotlight by tragedy and on some days, still as close to their loss as the day he died.

"The calendar says five years, but it seems like just a few months," Sybrina Fulton said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I know that we're still healing."

Re-living the pain

Writing the book wasn't a healing experience, but it was therapeutic to know that writing it might help others, Tracy Martin said.

"It was hard because we re-lived this every time we had to go back and write something about it ... It stayed fresh," he said.

Trayvon Martin, shot to death by neighbourhood watchman George Zimmerman in a gated community in the central Florida suburb of Sanford weeks after his 17th birthday on Feb. 26, 2012, became a rallying cry for millions of black Americans seeking justice for the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teen.

Trayvon Martin would have been 22 on Sunday. His case — propelled by national news reports and social media — was the predecessor to the Black Lives Matter movement that came in response to similar killings, mostly by white police officers in cities across the U.S.

How #BlackLivesMatter became a worldwide rallying cry
Trayvon Martin's killer, who was not initially arrested, was later acquitted of murder by a jury, further inflaming racial tensions.

Martin's parents say the shooting deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Tamir Rice in Cleveland, Walter Scott in North Charleston, South Carolina, and others, have added to their grief. But comforting other parents has helped them heal.

Family open to working with new administration

"It meant a great deal for the most influential and most admired president that this country has ever seen mention our son," he said. "This new administration ... you would hope they would have compassion for families who are losing children to gun violence."

The family, which has a foundation in Trayvon's name, has not reached out to President Donald Trump, but is open to working with the administration in their efforts, Tracy Martin said.

Sybrina Fulton campaigned frequently for Hillary Clinton last year, along with other black mothers who had lost their children to gun violence. She said that the experience reinforced what she and Tracy Martin believed they should be doing, and that both are now exploring public office, though they have not decided what they would run for.

Peace walk

"We've been researching it, talking about it, trying to see what's available," she said, adding that they would likely start at the local level in their community in Miami. "We know that if we want change, we have to be a part of that change." The Trayvon Martin Foundation, based at Florida Memorial University, is marking his birthday with a peace walk on Feb. 11.

Sybrina Fulton said she doesn't observe her son's death, but chooses to celebrate his life. "It speaks to what he was doing: Walking home, in peace," she said. "He wasn't allowed the opportunity to do that. The message we have is that we want our young people to know that they have the right to walk in peace ... without being murdered."

© The Associated Press, 2017

Jordan Davis' mother Lucy McBath is running for Congress as a Democrat in Georgia 6th district

'To not do anything is a tragedy': Mom who lost son to gun violence wins nomination

"I never expected this to happen, but I know that in light of all my experiences, to not to do anything is a tragedy in itself," McBath said in an interview with ABC News just days before the May primary -- and just days after the nation watched another deadly high school shooting unfold in Santa Fe, Texas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back