Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think how easy it would be for an abusive husband to track down his wife after she left him...
Good thought! My daughter has an ex who stalked her. He was/is a computer geek and some of his stalking was thru the internet. I became more alarmed when the androids could be purchased and spy on people. But I think the chips should only be accessed by LE or FBI. OMG! My daughters ex FIL was a homicide investigator!

I think i know too much about hogs now :(

Switching gears, i was school shopping with my 13 year old who has social anxiety but is getting better, so when she wanted to run back to the school supplies and change a product out, i didn’t want to cause fear and say no, so we came up with a code word that she can request in case anyone ever says, oh your mom is waiting outside or something like that. Nothing is 100% but it made her feel really good and in control.

I remember having a code word as a kid, too. It is a good way to keep a perp from trying to trick a kid.

I hope your 13-year-old's social anxiety keeps getting better. I used to have it, too. I just kept putting myself in the situations that made me uncomfortable. Not feeding the anxiety is the key for sure.

Yes to everything you said with the caveat that you can set your Fitbit software to not auto-sync. When I had one, mine was set to only sync when I told it to. Otherwise I found it wore down the battery faster than I wanted. So it depends on her settings. The phone is the key to so much of this.

Thanks. With her being an avid runner lets hope she had syncing setup to sync-up frequently.

For what it’s worth, I have the FitBit Ionic which has stand alone GPS, which means I can leave my phone home and still track my runs via satellite. I can even listen to music on Pandora without my phone with me. If she had one with these features I could see fitbit being able to access the info even if it hadn’t been synced.

Ive read that she ran with her phone in a case on her arm. If that’s the case her fitbit would have likely been tracking and syncing with her phone throughout the run until one or both were disabled.

The theory that they are intentionally focusing on the Fitbit with the media is really interesting. While I think there’s some useful data there, it’s also a great way to really push the perp by making them question just how much LE knows...

I think i know too much about hogs now :(

Switching gears, i was school shopping with my 13 year old who has social anxiety but is getting better, so when she wanted to run back to the school supplies and change a product out, i didn’t want to cause fear and say no, so we came up with a code word that she can request in case anyone ever says, oh your mom is waiting outside or something like that. Nothing is 100% but it made her feel really good and in control.

Offtopic as well, but I had the "never let yourself get taken to a second location" talk with my 2 preteen daughters just yesterday. Not that it can always be prevented if no one else is around, but they understood the reasoning after I explained it a couple times. Heartbreaking to even have to have that conversation.

About 75% caught up on posts... but not the last 25%. ;)

Sorry if these things have since been figured out etc Do I have this right?

Things that stand out to me...

All 3 adults in the house were all out of town on the same night?

Mollie didn’t show for dinner and mom wasn’t worried? How was she getting to and from dinner?

Mollie would have needed a ride to work arranged.

Mollies last post on twitter was 7/17/18 at 9:21pm (how does that fit into the timeline? And is that time zone specific?) and was about dropping a phone on a face... which is how the bf worded similarly falling asleep with phone on his face.

And something to know ... sometimes when FBI shows up they ask everyone to stop searching. They are more methodical about searching and will often use dogs to help. They don’t want everyone out looking.

For what it’s worth, I have the FitBit Ionic which has stand alone GPS, which means I can leave my phone home and still track my runs via satellite. I can even listen to music on Pandora without my phone with me. If she had one with these features I could see fitbit being able to access the info even if it hadn’t been synced.

Ive read that she ran with her phone in a case on her arm. If that’s the case her fitbit would have likely been tracking and syncing with her phone throughout the run until one or both were disabled.
Others have said that it looks in photos like she had one of the older ones that is less square more rectangular/ band-like (eg a Charge), but I haven’t looked up the photos to verify myself.

I know this has been discussed and a poster asked earlier but I have been unable to read responses. They asked how someone can be cleared if there is no evidence. I feel like in these situations the only way would be able to clear someone is if they aren’t certain company for example the brothers are with their mother or a friend is at home with her parents and they can prove that Otherwise it would be hard to clear someone if they still don’t know where she was at the time. Or who she was with.

Others have said that it looks in photos like she had one of the older ones that is less square more rectangular/ band-like (eg a Charge), but I haven’t looked up the photos to verify myself.
I actually scoured pictures looking for the style fitbit she has but I never saw one. Lots of hair ties on her wrist but I couldn’t see a fitbit. I’ve had at least five different styles. Maybe more. If anyone knows where I can find a picture of her wearing one, can you point me toward it? And they are constantly coming out with new ones. They have a one year warranty and if you have an issue with it after that they will offer a discount for a new one. I’ve used that option a couple times. If the picture was more than a year old I wouldn’t necessary assume that’s the one she was wearing last week.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2. It's pretty new. I got it this February. I don't think mine updates the data from my watch until I look at the app or refresh it. Like when I wake up in the morning and check my sleep I have to open the app and then it uploads that data. It doesn't continuously load the data. You can actual track your walks/runs whatever on your map. But I think you have to actually tell it to track your walk when you start it. If she was smart enough to know something was happening she could have used this feature to start tracking her route. That GPS data they might be able to access. I use the Android app though.

No I haven't. But I do understand privacy rights. I'm not a person that has anything to hide so I would be fine to be chipped. It would help me feel protected. But I do know many people that would never allow it!

I don't have anything to hide either but I still would opt out of most of this. I'm obviously online, use a fitbit, etc, and I'm not especially paranoid about individuals knowing who I am, but I don't trust the big systems -- I don't keep my google account logged in when I'm not using it, I have no smartphone and no facebook or any other social media accounts. As far as I know I have nothing stored in the cloud. And in my remote/rural community there are people who think I'm the internet expert! (I'm not, but my point is that the average person in my communty is even less connected than I am).

Other than Brooklyn's proximity to a freeway, my small town is probably fairly similar to it, in terms of size and overall safety.

Not sure what my point was, lol. Just agreeing with you that lots of people would not want to be chipped. But just like at the vet's office, it could easily be available for those who do want it, without forcing it on those who don't.

Yes to everything you said with the caveat that you can set your Fitbit software to not auto-sync. When I had one, mine was set to only sync when I told it to. Otherwise I found it wore down the battery faster than I wanted. So it depends on her settings. The phone is the key to so much of this.

Based on what my friends and I always do with ours, I think most people turn off the auto-sync to save their battery. I know a lot of people with them and not one keeps it set to sync automatically.

I know this has been discussed and a poster asked earlier but I have been unable to read responses. They asked how someone can be cleared if there is no evidence. I feel like in these situations the only way would be able to clear someone is if they aren’t certain company for example the brothers are with their mother or a friend is at home with her parents and they can prove that Otherwise it would be hard to clear someone if they still don’t know where she was at the time. Or who she was with.
I think they said that they had leads just not ones that they could discuss publicly.

Our kids are all grown and moved away to other states now, but we all still use the “Find My Friends” app on our phones. In this day and age it’s just nice to be able keep an eye on where your family members are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998