TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

I've wondered if he ditched the bike in a bayou. Plenty of homeless folks in Hermann park might take the bike and it'd never been seen again.

As far as not recognizing the shooter - working here in the TMC I can tell you I see probably 5-10 people on bikes every day on my commute. I couldn't tell you anything about what they look like or what they're wearing with the rare exception of one or two folks that I have seen multiple times at the same time of day on my route and those are usually a few blocks away from the med center where they stick out in traffic because they're the only cyclist. Even then I couldn't give you more than a vague description. This is an incredibly busy area, especially during rush hour, full of pedestrians, commuters, patients, people on bikes.

I've wondered if he ditched the bike in a bayou. Plenty of homeless folks in Hermann park might take the bike and it'd never been seen again.

As far as not recognizing the shooter - working here in the TMC I can tell you I see probably 5-10 people on bikes every day on my commute. I couldn't tell you anything about what they look like or what they're wearing with the rare exception of one or two folks that I have seen multiple times at the same time of day on my route and those are usually a few blocks away from the med center where they stick out in traffic because they're the only cyclist. Even then I couldn't give you more than a vague description. This is an incredibly busy area, especially during rush hour, full of pedestrians, commuters, patients, people on bikes.
Do you commute on your bike?

Do you commute on your bike?
No.

Certainly cyclists may recognize other cyclists - I think that is a good suggestion. There was someone else who was asking about why no one recognized the cyclist if he had practiced the route before, etc... just saying, even if he had walked and observed on foot, or in a car, or on a bike, this is a very busy area with a lot of pedestrians, cyclists, etc, and on any given day, most individuals don't stand out. During rush hour, there is a ton of activity.

Wonder if there's any prior incidents of a hit-man on a bike? You gotta ask yourself, why didn't assassin use car and do drive by. Hit-man may have walked the route,I don't think he would necessarily have to do a dry run. Downtown and cameras everywhere - they must have a lot of footage on him. Any evidence of a disguise? Killed in his scrubs - the uniform of his profession - does that hint at motive?
Car has a license plate number, bike doesn't. It's also easier to follow someone who is biking if the killer is on the bike himself. With car, it would be hard to time it right.

Yes the officer that works that corner stated he doesn’t really pay too much attention to the bikers and only knew the doctor due to him working with the homeless guys. Tens of thousands of people including you and I commute there for work/school/clinical rotation not to mention the patients and visitors...

In the likelihood that the bike was not owned by the suspect himself, local bike shops should be contacted to find out any rentals of similar bikes in days before the murder, whether the bikes were returned, whether by the original renter or a different person, or maybe never returned. Also investigate among the general population whether there had been any loan/sale/trade of similar bikes not long before the murder.

I should add: anyone whose bike was stolen, or disappeared for a while then mysteriously returned.

No.

Certainly cyclists may recognize other cyclists - I think that is a good suggestion. There was someone else who was asking about why no one recognized the cyclist if he had practiced the route before, etc... just saying, even if he had walked and observed on foot, or in a car, or on a bike, this is a very busy area with a lot of pedestrians, cyclists, etc, and on any given day, most individuals don't stand out. During rush hour, there is a ton of activity.
I think drivers notice cyclists since you have to avoid hitting them with your car. You have to change lanes, etc.

So talking to people, the “hit man” has been seen in the area before. The doctor is known because he gives the homeless guys Starbucks in the mornings.

msnikkii, do I understand this comment to mean YOU have talked with a few people in the area since you work close by, and some of them indicated they have seen the suspect around previously? This has not been something reported in msn as far as I can tell, right? Just wondering how you got this info that some people say the suspect has been seen before. I welcome your ‘boots on the ground’ sleuthing if that is it. Seriously!

msnikkii, do I understand this comment to mean YOU have talked with a few people in the area since you work close by, and some of them indicated they have seen the suspect around previously? This has not been something reported in msn as far as I can tell, right? Just wondering how you got this info that some people say the suspect has been seen before. I welcome your ‘boots on the ground’ sleuthing if that is it. Seriously!

Last edited:
Cyclists spend a lot of time on sidewalks and trails near the med center as well as on the roads, but in general the roads are congested enough during rush hour they're taking the sidewalks where possible. So I don't have to dodge them in traffic in the med center proper, not too much. They blend in to the scenery.

Police are being oddly tight lipped about this house search below - connected to an open homicide investigation but won't say which one. There are obviously a variety of open homicide investigations at any time in Houston... hope it brings a break in this case:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...-Houston-home-in-connection-with-13123292.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back