KY KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

I read everything I could find on this case over the past few days. It is a very interesting case and here are my thoughts on it.

I am 100% convinced Officer Ellis was targeted. I am also convinced his killer knew him very well. The killer placed an obstacle on the path Officer Ellis would take home when they knew he would be getting off work. The killer also knew him well enough to know, he would stop and move the branches out of the roadway. Officer Ellis was a very good officer and guy, they knew he would stop and move the branches. The killer also knew how deserted that exit would be at 2:00 am when Officer Ellis would be using it. It was 20-30 minutes after he was killed before the first cars used that exit. This also means the killer had a very good knowledge of the area and traffic patterns, especially at 2:00 am.

The murder weapon also has some interesting clues. It was a 12 gauge shotgun. Shotguns cannot be traced using traditional ballistic tests. They don't leave identifiable rifling markings like pistols and rifles do. Shotguns are also very forgiving when it comes to aim. A difficult shot at 30 yards with a pistol in the dark is an easy shot with a shotgun. The second part of the murder weapon I find important also relies on how accurate the reported news has been. According to multiple news reports, Officer Ellis was hit with multiple shots from a 12 gauge but with 2 different types of ammo. This could indicate a couple of things. Either 2 shooters, which is interesting since LE indicated they had evidence more than one person may have been at the scene when the shooting occurred, or a sloppy killer. Do we think it was a sloppy killer who didn't realize he had a mix of shells in his shotgun? No, because he was very clever in his planning and execution of the murder. He just didn't realize his idiot partner would have bird shot in his shotgun. Again, this part of my opinion relies heavily on the accuracy of what has been reported.

So, at this point I think Officer Ellis was killed by two people, who knew him, his schedule, the area at 2 am, and that shotguns aren't traceable by standard ballistic tests.

Motive is where this case will be solved if it is ever solved. The most likely motives in my opinion are:
1) Marital (Did she start dating anyone a few months later? I have no idea, it is just a question.)
2) Drug arrest related (certainly possible, but most drug lords/cartels understand how much heat murdering a pillar of the community cop would bring down. You go from a cop busting small time dealers to having the FBI, Secret Service, state police etc etc on every corner)
3) He knew something about a fellow cop and was gonna spill the beans. This makes the most sense to me. A fellow cop fits every criteria for this murder. They would know he would stop and move the stuff out of the roadway, that he takes that exit to go home, when he radioed dispatch to end his shift, that the exit would be abandoned at 2 am, and that shotguns aren't traceable.

I hope this case is solved but after 3 years, the odds are it won't be.

Don't forget that unless whoever it was intended to sit there all night, they had to know that he was on schedule to be at that place in a window of time. Having known and been around lots of LE and first responders, the first thing you learn is that just because someone's "shift ends" at a certain time, that certainly doesn't mean that they will be heading home at that time. They may have just made an arrest and spend hours completing paperwork and dropping off prisoners; they may have a sudden emergency at work that keeps them there for hours on end...
So whoever this evil killer(s) are, they were either a) willing to sit there all night (which must imply some urgency to getting the murder committed, right? as in, something is going to happen in the next day or two, or could happen any minute, that makes it worth sitting there all night; or b) knew that he was on his way home (e.g. from radio transmissions or other methods).

...they had to know that he was on schedule to be at that place in a window of time.

They not only knew that he'd be there at that time, but he wouldn't be in his usual cruiser (which has cameras, etc). I still haven't figured out why he was driving a different car, but whoever killed him must have known.

I can't remember any time in the past when we've had so much drama going on at the same time in Nelson County. And I've been here all of my life (since 1979) and all of the trouble seems to be playing out almost like a farce. This BS is up there with Heaven Hill burning (and melting Loretto Road) or the lady getting killed with a sword at the "toy soldier place" next to Wendy's.

A cop gets killed. A mother and daughter are slaughtered in their home. A cop's girlfriend drops off of the face of Earth...

So the mayor of our county seat screws crap up royally. I can only see all of this political BS (firings, promotions, demotions and especially appointing McKenzie Mattingly as chief) happening merely to distract us from LE not going anywhere with their investigations.
(Or knowing EVERY-SINGLE-THING about it and doing their damnedest to cover it up)

Glad to see there is much interest and an intense ongoing investigation in this case. Today it was reported LE believes more than one individual was involved.

State police Master Trooper Norman Chaffins said Tuesday that based on circumstances, investigators believe more than one person had a hand in the slaying of Officer Jason Ellis.

Chaffins said police have interviewed a woman who drove around the trap before Ellis stopped.

More at http://www.wave3.com/story/22622754/police-more-than-1-may-have-had-role-in-officers-slaying

Link no longer works.

Anyone know the identity of this woman??

TIA :)

This is a story of the last 24 hours of Jason Ellis' life It's well worth the read. http://media2.wcpo.com/html/exit34/

Reminder: If you message someone you should make sure your mailbox has been cleaned out so you can get your reply. :thinking:

I read that article yesterday (it's wonderful) but didn't see the "woman who drove around the trap" mentioned... but, I often get too speedy with my reading & efforts so it's possible I missed it.

Was there anything that happened within the Bardstown Police Department that happened prior to Ellis’ death that he could have potentially discovered that would give someone within the department motivation to want him dead?

RIP Jason Ellis, you are not forgotten and so many pray for Justice to find and exact retribution on your killers. May they never rest with your blood on their hands.

The Oxygen channel will be carrying The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers and the other Bardstown unsolved murder cases (Tommy Ballard, Jason Ellis, Kathy and Samantha Netherland) in a 5 part series starting Aug. 11th. Their intro looks interesting.

The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers Premieres August 11th

The Oxygen channel will be carrying The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers and the other Bardstown unsolved murder cases (Tommy Ballard, Jason Ellis, Kathy and Samantha Netherland) in a 5 part series starting Aug. 11th. Their intro looks interesting.

The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers Premieres August 11th

Just watched the episode from this past Saturday. Great getting Jason's story out there again and on a big platform. IMHO the amount of murders in this small town is baffling. I pray this series brings some heat on Crystal's, Jason's, Tommy's and the Netherlands' stories to find the killers.

IMO

Watching tonight's episode. From what I can tell, in the first few minutes, his death was a hired hit. It was somehow linked to an informant he was working with on drug trafficking.

JMO, from the start this looked like a hit of some kind. Quite a few murders in this area, mostly related to drugs and drug trafficking groups. Not surprised to hear there problems with informants working with LE. This seems a common pattern in small towns & cities and rural counties.

The only way investigators make headway sometimes is working with people in prison hoping to reduce their sentences. Sometimes it works, especially if the information can be used to take a new look at evidence in these cold cases. Interesting also how it's tv shows and documentaries who often uncover info and break these cases over.

See also: "Gone: The Forgotten Women of Ohio" to learn about problems with LE, informants and drug trafficking gangs

Gone: The Forgotten Women of Ohio (TV Mini-Series 2017) - IMDb

The inmate gave them directions to the location where Crystal's body was cut up and burned. Looks like a probable location and 911 tapes from the time verify there was a fire at that location as the inmate said.

The problem is that LE is not moving on these cases. They're not connecting the cases, even with evidence. They don't want to talk about it. This doesn't surprise me. Inmate has decided to reach out to Nelson county PD and is working with them, but doesn't trust KSP and others.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back