Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesse Matthews was arrested on 23 September, Hannah's body was found about 3 weeks later.

OK, thanks. I'm trying to read up on the case now. Unfortunately there are over 50 threads on the case and I'm trying to find the most relevant information. It takes some time.

My last recollection of "dog talk" was Mollie's Dad responding to interview question on FOX where he said the "dogs were perfect... located inside the house." Maybe I'm having a brain fade but was there confirmation the dogs were actually found in the basement versus upstairs after Mollie reported missing? TIA

Last edited:
OT...The idea of fitbits hold no appeal for me...I am kind of anti all this new wave of food obsessions, step counting etc...just brings to mind the non-tech habits of my little sister, who died from her eating disorder. I am SURE most people are able to avoid such extremes but it does seem a “helpful” tool to those inclined to eating disorders. Jmo

Anyway...I still can’t see proof of abduction/foul play, except in that Mollie still has not made contact with anyone. And I saw/heard nothing that made me think LE has a suspect. Maybe it too many press conferences over the years but I no longer find pauses significant.
The problem is that there's no proof of anything. You could argue for almost any possibility. Everything seemed completely normal, and then Mollie just disappeared. Where did she go, and why? That is what draws me to this case.

OK, thanks. I'm trying to read up on the case now. Unfortunately there are over 50 threads on the case and I'm trying to find the most relevant information. It takes some time.

I believe my last substantial post on Mollie's case was on thread #4. Since then I've missed a few hundred posts. I've tried to go back and even with concentrating on this case alone there is no way I would catch up. I wish the results of this case worked that fast.

My last recollection of "dog talk" was Mollie's Dad responding to interview question on FOX where he said the "dogs were perfect... located inside the house." Maybe I'm having a brain fade but was there confirmation the dogs were actually found in the basement after Mollie reported missing? TIA

Yes, someone posted a link where it clearly stated that the dogs were found in the basement.

Last edited:
In my opinion it's not helpful if it doesn't solve the case. The only thing it does is gives the media something to report, and us something to talk about here.

I think if it were my loved one missing, I would be so grateful for any press conferences or any publicity. Whether or not it ends up solving the case, at least I would feel supported by LE and the community, and less hopeless.

It might connect me with the good folks out there—we’ve seen how there are so many amazing people and organizations—who come forward to help in missing persons cases, and that would feel so uplifting and I think help me get through those horrible days.

Reading back through some of what has been written since last night, commenters have identified two scenarios that I find plausible and in accordance with the facts:

1. she went for a walk later that night (a study break)
2. she let someone in early the next morning (she's getting ready; knock at the door)

A number of other scenarios have been proposed that I don't think are as plausible, including the idea that she contacted someone and they picked her up. This could have been that night or in the AM. I find this less compelling because those communications would be known to LE and would have generated a POI. But that is not where this investigation stands.

My last recollection of "dog talk" was Mollie's Dad responding to interview question on FOX where he said the "dogs were perfect... located inside the house." Maybe I'm having a brain fade but was there confirmation the dogs were actually found in the basement after Mollie reported missing? TIA

I read somewhere early on that they were but not sure if its been confirmed.

According to one of the early articles, MT had family in southern UT. Other than a couple of early articles on this area I haven't seen anything further about UT family related to MT. Has anybody else heard any mention made of UT other than in the early days of case?
Nope :)

Depending on which Fitbit she owned, it would reveal a lot. What day/time she last had movement, what time she got up in the morning, if at all, what time she went to bed and these #'s are logged-in by week/day/month for the past year or so. More advanced Fitbits would tell them her heart rate. Was her heart rate higher than normal insinuating she was in a struggle on the last day she was seen? I own a Fitbit and I only need charge it once per week, depending on if I have my text messages synced to notify me or not. (It will vibrate if I get a text message etc. using more battery.)

Also, Fitbit tracks "steps" by wrist movement, not foot movement.

Can anyone think of examples of investigators using a press conference to make a perp feel more comfortable or otherwise manipulate a guilty party?

I am wondering if that is a common tactic.
I would like to think they are not putting their timeline out there or any new information because they don’t need it. I hope that is the case because otherwise they may be missing an opportunity to get the publics help while memories are still fresh.

I was thinking of this man who was locked in a stairwell behind self-locking doors. What if Mollie decided to run up some stairs such as these and became trapped? (Far-fetched, I know).

How Bernard Gore died after getting lost in a Westfield stairwell

I had been worrying about her becoming "lost" or trapped also. But, could not think of a reason she might become dislocated unless it was to help, chase, save an animal at some point along her run.
JMO

Last edited:
I haven’t seen the posts referencing him, but he has a YouTube channel. I watched a video of yesterday’s press conference that he broadcasted. It was incredibly annoying because he interjected with pointless commentary.
Isn’t he a member here? Maybe I have that wrong. But I’ve felt the way you do every time I try to watch one of his videos.

some people theorize that mt did homework, and then went to go get car, for work the next day. this would be late, and dark. this strikes me as unlikely. if she needed a car, she likely would have "planned ahead" and got the the car when it wasn't late and dark. some people think she went out for a study break walk. this does not sound like a smart idea to me for anybody to do alone.

some folks postulate that an "acquaintance" made contact with mt, made plans with her, then did something to her. this strikes me as unlikely. because there would be "bread crumbs" right to this person via social media history.

Last edited:
Can anyone think of examples of investigators using a press conference to make a perp feel more comfortable or otherwise manipulate a guilty party?

I am wondering if that is a common tactic.
I would like to think they are not putting their timeline out there or any new information because they don’t need it. I hope that is the case because otherwise they may be missing an opportunity to get the publics help while memories are still fresh.
This is slightly different, but there was the case last year where the man killed his pregnant fiancé and the police asked her parents to do a press interview with him. They used that to nail him to the wall, I think.

some people theorize that mt did homework, and then went to go get car, for work the next day. this would be late, and dark. this strikes me as unlikely. if she needed a car, she likely would have "planned ahead" and got the the car when it wasn't late and dark.

some folks postulate that an "acquaintance" made contact with mt, made plans with her, then did something to her. this strikes me as unlikely. because there would be "bread crumbs" right to this person via social media history.

Just my opinion, but I think she may have planned to pick up the car at dinner at her mom’s.

Reading back through some of what has been written since last night, commenters have identified two scenarios that I find plausible and in accordance with the facts:

1. she went for a walk later that night (a study break)
2. she let someone in early the next morning (she's getting ready; knock at the door)

A number of other scenarios have been proposed that I don't think are as plausible, including the idea that she contacted someone and they picked her up. This could have been that night or in the AM. I find this less compelling because those communications would be known to LE and would have generated a POI. But that is not where this investigation stands.

I think it is also plausible that someone watched her for a couple of days, learned her routine, and entered the home while she was jogging. In this case, it's also possible that an intruder remained silent until Mollie was ready for bed.

I had been worrying about her becoming "lost" or trapped also. But, count think of a reason she might become dislocated unless it was to help, chase, safe an animal at some point along her run.
JMO

O/T

Accidents do happen and it reminded me of this case of an Ames Iowa student in 2010, Jon Lacina.
Footprints At The River's Edge: 01/22/10: Jon Lacina, 21, Ames, IA
I think that's why they brought out the drones to search the cornfields. To see if she was injured while running/unable to walk/trapped etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998