Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably already been posted, so if it is a repeat, please excuse. I haven't seen it -- the article says "New clues," but I didn't see it/them in this article. Dunno.

Man Photographing Teen Girls Jogging Adds New Clue To Mollie Tibbetts Case
Natalie Gontcharova
August 1, 2018, 10:09 AM
There's a new detail in the case of Mollie Tibbetts, the 20-year-old University of Iowa student who disappeared on July 18 while dog-sitting at her boyfriend's house in Brooklyn, IA.
>>> snip <<
After being caught on camera taking photos of teenage girls jogging, a man turned himself in to police in Pella, IA, contacting police "due to pressure on social media," according to local WHOTV. His name is not being released but police said he's in his 30s and a resident of Des Moines.
>>> snip <<<
Police say they don't currently believe the man is related to the Tibbetts case, but are continuing to follow every tip and lead.

Man Photographing Teen Girls Jogging Adds New Clue To Mollie Tibbetts Case
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note: I am not familiar with the MSM in this area -- I hope this source is okay to pass along.

Ah, Chief Long.... awesome. My daughter was at UVA at the time of the HG case, which is what brought me to websleuths.

I don't comment much but I have read all of Mollies threads except #1. Praying for a good outcome but this case is def bizarre.

On a side note, I am from B'more (been in VA since 99) and was very good friends with Longos nephew in school....weird how it all plays out throughout life.

As soon as Hannah Graham disappeared, many, including Morgan Harrington's parents, knew that it was the same person that abducted both young women. After Morgan's remains were found, even her mother said that they would only get answers after another family lost a daughter.

I think he had difficulty answering the question about "is the public in danger?" for one or two of two reasons:

1. They don't want to say anything that reveals the direction in which the investigation is going, and if he had said "yes" or "no" to that question, the public might've been able to infer the direction in which it is going.

2. They really have no idea where she is or how she got there, so it is difficult to say whether the public is in danger.

Born - Yes, that's sort of old news. The man in question has been questioned and cleared by LE. I do think it suggests what might have drawn the perp's attention here though, namely, an attractive young woman running by in a sports-bra.

He is also a member here. I know Tricia allows his You Tube videos to be posted. He did a few really good ones in the Libby & Abby case and in the Long Island Serial Killer case.

He also did an amazing video for the Travis Alexander case. Some members disagreed with his findings but the graphics on the videos were really good. I have watched the podcasts for Molly's case and was not impressed at all. I found them boring actually.

I think he had difficulty answering the question about "is the public in danger?" for one or two of two reasons:

1. They don't want to say anything that reveals the direction in which the investigation is going, and if he had said "yes" or "no" to that question, the public might've been able to infer the direction in which it is going.

2. They really have no idea where she is or how she got there, so it is difficult to say whether the public is in danger.

I don't think the Brooklyn community is in danger anymore. If Mollie was abducted by a predator, she is long gone and the person responsible will find another hunting ground for the next victim.

Ah, Chief Long.... awesome. My daughter was at UVA at the time of the HG case, which is what brought me to websleuths.

I don't comment much but I have read all of Mollies threads except #1. Praying for a good outcome but this case is def bizarre.

On a side note, I am from B'more (been in VA since 99) and was very good friends with Longos nephew in school....weird how it all plays out throughout life.

As soon as Hannah Graham disappeared, many, including Morgan Harrington's parents, knew that it was the same person that abducted both young women. After Morgan's remains were found, even her mother said that they would only get answers after another family lost a daughter.

Will never forget Hannah, I joined because of Heather Elvis. For those that don't think a random tip can't solve a case need to know that Hannah's murderer was found because of a random sighting, states and miles away from where Hannah was killed, by an observant woman on a beach in Galveston. Random tips and sightings do help!

Thinking about it some more, I think a key question may be why did she cancel dinner with her mom and why did she decide she didn't need the car. Am I correct in my information that Mollie worked at a day care? Has anyone here thought that maybe a pretty 20 year old day care worker attracted the attention of the dad's of one of the children. Attention from an attractive older man would be flattering and not something you would want to share with your mother or your BF...

I am pages behind but wanted to assure everyone that our "truckers" are very aware of this case and they have big hearts also.
I won't "tag" it, but I work with getting the word out to them and to all the truckstops and everywhere possible.
It's also possible that a trucker (or any other kind of driver actually) took her.
Just saying....
Eyes on the roads mean the highways and the biways.
Thanks Chi! What you do really makes a difference!

I don't think the Brooklyn community is in danger anymore. If Mollie was abducted by a predator, she is long gone and the person responsible will find another hunting ground for the next victim.
If it was a personal crime then the risk to the public is minimal. If they have a POI then the risk is minimal. If it is a predatorial offender, and they don’t know who he is, then the risk to the community is more substantial. Not all predators are drifters.

I think the tweet pinned to MT twitter page is telling. Why would she pin that? This reminds me of the case of the girl and guy that were abducted by the real estate guy, where he killed her boyfriend and kept her hostage in the storage trailor. Oh yeah, it was Todd Kohlhepp. He posted to the victims website.

Thinking about it some more, I think a key question may be why did she cancel dinner with her mom and why did she decide she didn't need the car. Am I correct in my information that Mollie worked at a day care? Has anyone here thought that maybe a pretty 20 year old day care worker attracted the attention of the dad's of one of the children. Attention from an attractive older man would be flattering and not something you would want to share with your mother or your BF...

she didn't cancel dinner and she didn't decide she didn't need the car. she asked what her mom was making for dinner and replied 'ok'. her brother text her to see if she wanted a lift home and she didn't reply. without really knowing her plans for getting to work, we are assuming she just got herself there most days so no one was really worried about that. IMO

Born - Yes, that's sort of old news. The man in question has been questioned and cleared by LE. I do think it suggests what might have drawn the perp's attention here though, namely, an attractive young woman running by in a sports-bra.

I get confused because there were two incidents. One was the guy taking pictures of joggers and the other guy in a different town nearby that allegedly assaulted a jogger.

I had not read that they were "cleared". I thought I read that they were still investigating the circumstances and have not charged either with anything just yet.

UPDATE: One guy was arrested now. He was the one in the assualt of a jogger.
It was in Dubuque

Dubuque man arrested in jogger assault

Last edited:
Hi im new to the site. Ive been following the case and also frequent grays utube chats regarding the investigation.
Not sure if anyone here seen the strange tweet a few montjs ago mollie sent her bf but it talked of her being in a library and being approached by a cop. He told her she was wearing the same pink coat a missing 10 yr old girl had. Idk to me this seems very coincidental. I wonder if theyve questioned this cop? It wouldnt be the first time a cop could be involved. Not saying he is but i hope they looked into this.

Or possibly someone posing as a cop.

I'm wondering if she already had secured a ride for herself to get to work or at least told others she would figure it out. If she did have one secured that just might be the answer as long as anyone knows who that was. Is it possible she would have taken the bus?
as far as I've seen we don't have confirmation if she was really on her computer after her run, if she made it home from her run, if someone came by to pick her up in the morning. If it's true the dogs were in the basement then that would indicate she was away from the home or just leaving or I suppose just returning. Those dogs were in the basement because she was not there or not going to be there. But her wallet and contacts were left behind so she wasn't just leaving for work when this happened.

Last edited:
she didn't cancel dinner and she didn't decide she didn't need the car. she asked what her mom was making for dinner and replied 'ok'. her brother text her to see if she wanted a lift home and she didn't reply. without really knowing her plans for getting to work, we are assuming she just got herself there so no one was really worried about that. IMO

Ok... I'm sorry if I missed something here. My understanding is that she didn't go over to her mom's for dinner.. did she? I thought the brother's text was the next am to see if she needed a ride to work? Can you link me to a news article where it says she asked her mom what was for dinner?

I'm wondering if she already had secured a ride for herself to get to work or at least told others she would figure it out. If she did have one secured that just might be the answer as long as anyone knows who that was. Is it possible she would have taken the bus?
RSBM. Google mapping the route doesn't come up with any public transportation options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow