DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two people who were working for Savvas helped with the dojo opening that day. If I recall correctly both knew about the cash he had on hand. I have always felt disturbed by both these people's actions before and after the murders. Yes maybe the preoccupation with money and possessions both these people publicly exhibited was simply unfortunate but I've always wondered how they could not be involved. Was there not enough evidence for the prosecution to pursue them? Their potential link to Wint wouldn't have been clear. Legal sleuths weigh in please - does the prosecution have any incentive to let the defense bring this new information (if they already know about it as well)? Maybe this is the way to get Wint to tell all he knows, to his lawyers, before trial? Then there's the matter of Wint's brother. He may have gotten involved after the fact. There are several on this forum who believe 100% that Wint acted alone. I've never believed he did so I will stay closely tuned until September. Don't know why though the prosecution would not have this new information as well, or at least reconvene grand jury or whatever it takes to review new evidence. Wint is behind bars. He's out of society's way for now. If anyone else was involved in this gruesome slaughter they've got to be dealt with as they are incredibly dangerous and sociopathic as well. And for now walking free. Why would the prosecution allow this?

Evidence found linking another suspect to 2015 quadruple killings, attorneys for man charged in case say
by Keith L. Alexander July 27 at 7:24 PM

"....Although Wint’s attorneys did not name another suspect, in an earlier court filing, they cited one person they said had provided homicide detectives with “false information” about his whereabouts on the night and early morning of the killings. The attorneys requested additional information regarding this person. The name of the person was redacted from court files...."

Evidence found linking another suspect to 2015 quadruple killings, attorneys for man charged in case say

Is this reference to JW? IIRC the already known facts of his false info didn’t involve his whereabouts so much as his actions, and related to the morning rather than the night before.

In any case, it seems that the redacted person is different from the one now being suggested as the true perp, since the prosecution is still seeking info on the identity of the defense’s purported true perp, and the fact of the redaction of his name from the public record means that it’s already present in the private record.

Why exactly would you assume anything of the sort? Nothing to suggest the person in question is JW.

Literally everything points to JW being the person in question.

Why do you believe it's not JW? I mean all of the breadcrumbs in the article pointed to JW.

No matter who it is, Wint was there during a felony. They were killed. Therefore he is responsible for felony murder. Or is that not in this state? It doesn't matter who else was there, if somebody else participated. The charges are specifically for him, and this is not a trial where multiple people are involved.

To me, it would be a moot point that there was somebody else involved.

I've never heard or read about anyone disputing Wint's involvement. There is too much evidence in his actions before and after the killings and forensics as well. The questions concern whether he acted alone. Maybe in the murders? Maybe. But the planning? The idea of him acting alone is that he was casing the home and neighborhood before the tragic day/night/morning, knew about the family through working for American Iron Works, and held a grudge. JW however was intimately involved with the family through the car racing and having gained Savvas' confidence and become something of a protege. On social media and to friends he gloated about aspiring to be much more than this and the faster the better. So I think it is only sensible of people to continue to wonder whether he was involved. Its not necessarily that he would have been present in the home during the torturous murders but he would have been in a position to plan and facilitate a robbery that day. Not that he did! We the public just don't know yet. We don't have all the information. Yes if he were not involved he is in a hell of a position to appear guilty in some way and that would be tragic for him. Anyway it isn't just JW either. Another employee aspired to much more than her lot as well and was very public about it. She accompanied Savvas in his car to the dojo. She appears to have known everything about the plans leading up to the opening of the dojo, the family's schedule, etc. I worry about her! Again though if she is was simply a hapless employee I hope we will find that out soon and she too can clear her name and carry on with her life. What I'm hoping will produce more concrete information during trial are: testimony from surviving family members (including Ms. FIgueroa's husband who so sadly worried about his wife's lack of communication and went to the house to inquire after her when the invasion was already underway) and embassy security cameras and U.S. federal security resources.

No matter who it is, Wint was there during a felony. They were killed. Therefore he is responsible for felony murder. Or is that not in this state? It doesn't matter who else was there, if somebody else participated. The charges are specifically for him, and this is not a trial where multiple people are involved.

To me, it would be a moot point that there was somebody else involved.
I totally see your point and I think you may be rightly focused on justice for the family and Wint is clearly the deadly link to their deaths. I think you'd probably want others to face justice too though if they were involved - not freely going about their lives. This is what a lot of us want resolved.

I totally see your point and I think you may be rightly focused on justice for the family and Wint is clearly the deadly link to their deaths. I think you'd probably want others to face justice too though if they were involved - not freely going about their lives. This is what a lot of us want resolved.

Great point, and I did not mean to diminish that. I was just focused on this trial, and this person, that this person and his trial should not be waylaid because the defense is pointing at another dude. For the defense to come out and say such, I would think the only reason they are doing that is to help their client. And if he really wants to go after another person, let his d*mn client talk and share the specifics to the prosecutor so that person can be prosecuted also. Otherwise, it's just bloviation to confuse the jury and distract them.

I’ve always wondered about JW too. His (or anyone else’s) involvement wouldn’t do anything to diminish Wint’s guilt, but it would make the whole story less bewildering. Right now Wint is the ringleader in the public mind, but if he was actually working with a backstabbing traitorous insider, that would immediately give him company in the category of loathesome and dispicable.

FWIW, I lean away from JW being involved. His behavior & shifting story were very strange. But texting a pic of the cash to his friend ...... the actions of a foolish, shallow kid - tasteless, irresponsible - but to record & distribute clear evidence of his involvement in an ongoing crime? He can’t be THAT dumb.

For anyone else who listened to the local news podcast, what did you think about Wint’s sister’s assertions that Wint and Savvas were friends who hung out with some regularity?

I’ve always wondered about JW too. His (or anyone else’s) involvement wouldn’t do anything to diminish Wint’s guilt, but it would make the whole story less bewildering. Right now Wint is the ringleader in the public mind, but if he was actually working with a backstabbing traitorous insider, that would immediately give him company in the category of loathesome and dispicable.

FWIW, I lean away from JW being involved. His behavior & shifting story were very strange. But texting a pic of the cash to his friend ...... the actions of a foolish, shallow kid - tasteless, irresponsible - but to record & distribute clear evidence of his involvement in an ongoing crime? He can’t be THAT dumb.

For anyone else who listened to the local news podcast, what did you think about Wint’s sister’s assertions that Wint and Savvas were friends who hung out with some regularity?

The missed red flags in this case are crazy -- especially with the withdrawal of the money, the shady instructions about where to leave the money and a few other things.

While it's unlikely that DW and SS were close friends, it's plausible that their paths crossed after DW was fired and before the murders.

IIRC JW’s father is longtime, well established LE. I’ve always figured those connections kept JW’s name from being dragged through the mud as might be expected from someone else caught in a similar scenario. There’s been no reporting that I’ve seen on any of JW’s actions, possessions or whereabouts after the initial investigation. We were told where he & his car were during & right after the crime, and that he then spoke to police. From the moment he left that interview, not a further word on him.

Rumor has it he’s since relocated to CA but apparently there’s no trace of him to be found. Presumably LE concluded he wasn’t involved & was willing to help shield the unfortunate son from life-wrecking bad publicity ? But I guess we may find out more when & if Wint’s trial ever starts.

They reported on the others being caught with the cash and money orders.

I think they would have done the same with JW, if he had been found with a bunch of cash on him.
He was never arrested, never "caught."

I've never claimed he's involved, however absolutely nothing has been released or leaked regarding JW's finances (or lack thereof)...

He was never arrested, never "caught."

I've never claimed he's involved, however absolutely nothing has been released or leaked regarding JW's finances (or lack thereof)...

Right. But I think the investigators looked very closely at him. There were reports about his texts to his gf, his social media, and his red bag, and who he lived with, and how he was fired from his previous job, his family history, and a lot of things that investigative reporters looked into.

I really believe that the detectives searched his car, and probably his room and his cell phone, etc. If they had found a wad of cash, he'd have been arrested, imo.

Right. But I think the investigators looked very closely at him. There were reports about his texts to his gf, his social media, and his red bag, and who he lived with, and how he was fired from his previous job, his family history, and a lot of things that investigative reporters looked into.

I really believe that the detectives searched his car, and probably his room and his cell phone, etc. If they had found a wad of cash, he'd have been arrested, imo.

Possibly.

To be clear: I've not suggested anything about JW's finances because DCPD have never commented (on or off the record) on it.

However, if one had stolen money and knew that LE was keeping a close eye on them, they wouldn't necessarily stash it in a place they thought LE might search.

When DW fled the District it made sense that he would maintain possession of the money because he was on the run -- BTW he's beyond stupid for deciding that it was a good idea to return to Maryland/DC...

:)

Even stupider yet - after committing this heinous crime, DW returned home and sat around on the front porch for a few days as usual, per neighbors. Then he began to sense that maybe he should leave town, so he set off to visit a girlfriend in Brooklyn.... and changed his FB location to Brooklyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77