Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALERT, ALERT: Mollie's Mom gave an interview (and many family photos) to Daily Mail. Many revealing details at link below. Again, this is directly from Laura Caldwell

Okay now we are getting somewhere. If she sent the Snapchat to the boyfriend BEFORE she went for a run, AND her non-run items (Drivers license, wallet, etc) have been located at the home, AND the home is reported to have been typical/undisturbed, AND the dogs were locked in the basement, AND her running clothes haven't been located, then it is pretty safe to assume she went missing while on her NIGHTLY run.

And with the severe storms in play, this also brings in the possibility of an accident.

JMO.

I came out from lurking to mention a couple of points.
No uber/lyft, just local services. I agree with your view of snapchat. After awhile all the posts just blur if you have a large friend base. I'm curious though (we don't know the answer) what her privacy settings on snapchat were. Seriously wonder how tightly she monitored who was in her snapchat base and what personal info she shared with people in her base. I read an article today in NYTs about how many parents don't investigate privacy settings on their kids SM or get involved with public/private info settings. Not knowing answers to some basic questions on kids SM prescence can have dire consequences unfortunately. I'm glad the entire discussion of snapchat on here has happened as there has been some great info shared and hopefully some people will ask family members questions or even adjust their own privacy settings.

Someone earlier in this thread gave a great description of Snapchat and I just wanted to add a bit to that. I use SC some, and my teenagers use it constantly. I see them tap through their their snaps very quickly without paying much attention to them. They don’t study the photos or even look closely at the captions. They just tap right through. The snaps between friends are pretty redundant. My point is that I don’t think it is suspicious at all that he doesn’t recall much about it. Probably just the same “goodnight” snap she sent every night. He likely just tapped right through it.

Is it possible that she called for an Uber ride to work? Maybe she planned to walk to mom’s house to get the car that morning but decided to call Uber since it was raining. Does Uber even serve a town that small? If not Uber, I really think it could have been a friend, co-worker or neighbor who gave her a ride to work.

I just heard that the running clothes have not been found. Perhaps she came home, sent the snap, did some hw, and then decided to walk to mom’s house that night to get the car but never made it there.

I wouldn’t assume that she was without glasses or contacts. I wore disposable contacts for years and would sleep in them for days at a time while my old pair was still in the case. My husband wouldn’t have had any idea.

I feel very hopeful that she is alive based on the way her family and LE are acting. I don’t think they would be so methodical if they thought she was dead.

Thanks for linking that article, MG! You're right: it is chock full of useful info! From that article:

Mollie's mom told DailyMail.com that all the items and clothes she took on her run have never been located.

These include her Fitbit, a gold-colored iPhone 7s in a protective case, some white earbuds and an armband pouch she used to hold the handset while she ran.

Her dark colored running shorts, pink sports top and running shoes are also yet to be found despite extensive searches of Brooklyn and the surrounding county.

IF this information is true, then I'm squarely in the "disappeared while running or walking" camp vs. taken from the home.

How soon do runners change out of their running clothes? Would one ever sit around wearing them after a run?
It's been so hot that I'm sweaty after a fast-paced morning walk so practically tear my clothes off when I get home. But if not for being sweaty I might not.

This article addresses just some of the questions I had. I wondered if MT had sent the snap at 10pm or if it had been opened at 10pm. If she didn't make it back to DJ's house then that would give a different flavor to all of this. Has there been any other MSM story the same things her mother claims in this article? And how trustworthy is the interview? I mean, did the mother really say these things in an interview.

Completely understanding the financial circumstances put on the family, I believe Daily Mail paid Mollie's Mom for this interview and the photos. There are what I deem personal statements in this interview, and I am yielding this as credible news from DM (which is not often). The wording about Mollie's Mom being "estranged" from Mollie's Dad was telling to me. I believe Dad taking ques from LE, and Mom kept quiet as long as she believed it necessary (i.e., 2 weeks). My heart breaks for this woman, Mother.....

Last edited:
would'nt you hear a car there late at night? would the neighbors notice a car? perhaps the rain could muffle the sound of a car.

she's not there, so she had to be moved or removed somehow..if things went down at the house..I think I am leaning towards the simpler scenario, of her putting away the dogs and heading over to get the car early in the morning with a fresh pair of contacts on and wearing the red shirt.

that she was abducted by a stranger while walking makes the most sense with the clues we have. IMO.

Wow, so none of her running clothes, and armband have been retrieved? Still don't know what to make of the red t-shirt but the mom says she would walk home for dinner? That had to be it then.

Finish the run, finish up homework real quick, get work stuff ready to take with, send boyfriend quick Snapchat, and walk towards mom's house.

She could have brought a plastic bag to carry some things like the red t-shirt. It's possible she kept armband and earbuds on while walking.

Only thing I wonder is on the way to the mom's house, that's when the neighborhood starts to pick up; lots of houses nearby once she passes the electric company. Crazy to think nobody saw anything unless she didn't make it very far? So sad, my heart breaks.

Right. So I wonder why the older brother isn’t also a Tibbetts? Or is he? I’m going by MSM photo captions. I could definitely be wrong. However, if the older brother IS RT’s son, wouldn’t HE be Dad’s Best Man?

ALERT, ALERT: Mollie's Mom gave an interview (and many family photos) to Daily Mail. Many revealing details at link below. Again, this is directly from Laura Caldwell

[Dalton Jack] He says his last contact with his girlfriend of three years was a Snapchat message he opened at around 10pm.

Jack thinks it [snap photo] was taken indoors at his house but told DailyMail.com he couldn't be sure because the message expired ten seconds later.

The anguished mom of missing student Mollie Tibbetts has revealed perplexing new clues about her daughter's mysterious disappearance two weeks ago - telling DailyMail.com: 'I'm in purgatory.'

Her car, a wallet containing a driving license and debit card, and an unused passport, have all been located, according to Laura - who says it's 'inconceivable' her daughter skipped town without saying a word.

'Every time I try and form an opinion there is a piece there that doesn't fit into the puzzle,' a confounded Laura told DailyMail.com.

Investigators are so far refusing to say whether or not Mollie made it home from her jog, with conflicting evidence suggesting she may have gone missing later that night or even the next morning.

THE MISSING ITEMS

Mollie's mom told DailyMail.com that all the items and clothes she took on her run have never been located.

These include her Fitbit, a gold-colored iPhone 7s in a protective case, some white earbuds and an armband pouch she used to hold the handset while she ran.

Her dark colored running shorts, pink sports top and running shoes are also yet to be found despite extensive searches of Brooklyn and the surrounding county.

Mollie would often walk from Dalton Jack's place back to her mom's house in Bear Drive to eat with her brothers Scott, 17 and Jake, 21.

Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

OK I have a speculation/theory because I am trying to make all the pieces fit. If her running clothes, FitBit, phone, and earbuds have not been found, I couldn't figure a way she wasn't taken from her run (unless she was literally ambushed upon entering the home). But the issue is the "she did HW on her computer later that evening." We don't know the time on "later in the evening."

What if she starts a run at 730 and this is when the neighbor sees her run past. She remembers that crap, she has an online HW assignment due tonight. So she circles back home. I have read on here that speculation existed her run was only 15 min long according to FitBit? If that is true, it would make sense. She would get home and "stop" the run on her FitBit. Log in to do the HW while still in running garb.

She never completed her run though and maybe even figured she would jog over to Mom's for dinner and to get the car, so after completing her HW (she could have also sent the snap at this time), she again leaves her house to go for a run. Perhaps she never got a chance to restart the run on her FitBit. I think this theory covers both her running outfit and accessories being missing and doing HW on her computer. The red shirt would not make sense in this theory but we don't know that this red shirt found was hers or that hers is even in fact missing. This would also make sense with the dogs being in the basement and the home being undisturbed. JMO and one of like 56 theories I have thrown out.

Okay now we are getting somewhere. If she sent the Snapchat to the boyfriend BEFORE she went for a run, AND her non-run items (Drivers license, wallet, etc) have been located at the home, AND the home is reported to have been typical/undisturbed, AND the dogs were locked in the basement, AND her running clothes haven't been located, then it is pretty safe to assume she went missing while on her NIGHTLY run.

And with the severe storms in play, this also brings in the possibility of an accident.

JMO.
I agree with everything except for the accident theory. If an accident occurred, they would have almost certainly recovered her by now. I also think the storms didn't occur that night.

[Dalton Jack] He says his last contact with his girlfriend of three years was a Snapchat message he opened at around 10pm.

Jack thinks it [snap photo] was taken indoors at his house but told DailyMail.com he couldn't be sure because the message expired ten seconds later.

The anguished mom of missing student Mollie Tibbetts has revealed perplexing new clues about her daughter's mysterious disappearance two weeks ago - telling DailyMail.com: 'I'm in purgatory.'

Her car, a wallet containing a driving license and debit card, and an unused passport, have all been located, according to Laura - who says it's 'inconceivable' her daughter skipped town without saying a word.

'Every time I try and form an opinion there is a piece there that doesn't fit into the puzzle,' a confounded Laura told DailyMail.com.

Investigators are so far refusing to say whether or not Mollie made it home from her jog, with conflicting evidence suggesting she may have gone missing later that night or even the next morning.

THE MISSING ITEMS

Mollie would often walk from Dalton Jack's place back to her mom's house in Bear Drive to eat with her brothers Scott, 17 and Jake, 21.

Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

Thanks for sharing. I'm at a loss here.

Few things that are odd about this case/questions I still have:
- The first time I heard about this case, it was from an article from MSM that spoke about the BF and said that he knew she was missing because of the snap chat. That was strange.
- Had she packed an overnight bag? I'm hung up on this red shirt. If she had planned to stay the night, she would have brought the shirt with her. If she hadn't, why not give it to her brother in the car? Why stay longer than a few hours? It wouldn't have taken too long to let the dogs out.
- If she had planned on staying the night, why walk home in the morning? Her brother was still waiting on a text. I'd assume that even if she walked home to get the car, she would have let him know prior to heading home.
- If she had not, who was supposed to get her?

Well, this is where I take a break. I find from other WS cases, when they give no info I begin to just chase my tail and speculation runs wild. I will check in daily to see if "found" or "arrest" is on the header. Otherwise there is nothing new to discuss sadly. I hope her parents, family and friends continue to hold strong during this horrible ordeal, they are in my thoughts...IMHO

I feel your pain Portabella!

THE MISSING ITEMS

While I do not consider the Daily Mail a credible source of news, I am of the opinion that Mollie was abducted in the evening rather than the following morning, and I believe I read in a previous article that Mollie kept her iPhone in an armband pouch when she ran. So I hope that part is accurate.

Right. So I wonder why the older brother isn’t also a Tibbetts? Or is he? I’m going by MSM photo captions. I could definitely be wrong. However, if the older brother IS RT’s son, wouldn’t HE be Dad’s Best Man?

Older brother is a Tibbetts, all kids are Tibbetts.
Someone posted misinformation that the brothers aren't Tibbetts but it's untrue, they are all from the same two parents.

Replies are going so fast! I appreciate the link to the close proximity of Mollie’s mom’s home to the farm house where she was dog sitting and that her brother and her shared a car. He apparently texted her if she wanted a ride (I assume to work the next day?), but no response from Mollie. She may have continued to wear her workout clothes while doing homework on the computer after her run, but her mom seems convinced she never made it back to the farmhouse- am I getting it right? (it seems now the Snapchat photo to her boyfriend happened before she went running, from what I am reading here, but I thought he said that particular message came in later than she would typically take a run).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member