Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
A woman on your street goes missing. It's been 6-7 days. There is no 'crime scene'. Where is she? Your answer might be revealing.

- She needed some space, she left for a few days
- She might have been in an accident
- She eloped
- She got lost, I hope they find her
- She was kinda depressed
- She got kidnapped by some guy

Who would say that after a 5-6 days? I could be wrong, but it is like a oral Rorschach.
I dunno. I think a lot of people suspect foul play when someone goes missing. Not sure saying it out loud when attention is already on you is a great idea, but I don't see this as an indication of anything other than perhaps a rather morbid mind (much like a lot of us here).

Am I the only person who is bugged by that 3 hour phone call? I get the impression many think a 3hr call between father & daughter is normal. It’s not to me so I just don’t get it. Plus the timing of it in relation to Mollie’s disappearance is is too coincidental in my book.

Dad is adamant she’s alive. Yes, it could just be the hopeful thought any parent would have, but with LE/FBI “getting to know Mollie” plus the call plus “she could have got in a car with someone she knows” am I adding 2+2 and making 5?
I've been wanting to discuss the call for so long, because I agree with you, but I wasn't sure if it would be violating the TOS. I really think Dad has picked that call apart piece-by-piece and rolled it over and over (and over some more) in his head.

Am I the only person who is bugged by that 3 hour phone call? I get the impression many think a 3hr call between father & daughter is normal. It’s not to me so I just don’t get it. Plus the timing of it in relation to Mollie’s disappearance is is too coincidental in my book.

Dad is adamant she’s alive. Yes, it could just be the hopeful thought any parent would have, but with LE/FBI “getting to know Mollie” plus the call plus “she could have got in a car with someone she knows” am I adding 2+2 and making 5?
I am with you on the 3 hr phone call being unusual but when it was first discussed a number of threads ago the people that said it was in the range of 'normal' seemed to be in the majority. But I guess the world can be divided into 'talkers' and 'non talkers' so maybe MT and her dad are both 'talkers'?

Sadly there is little, if any, variance in punishment between kidnap, and kidnap and murder, in most states. So being caught for “kidnap only” will usually still get you life in prison.

Also...Mollie’s dad is thinking what a dad HAS to think...this is a scenario he can see resulting in her home safely. Jmo
Maybe the atty's here can help out but aren't their lesser charges vs kidnapping? It might hinge on the intent of the person and this is an unknown in our case for now.

I’m sure at least half of you roll your eyes when I launch into another “left voluntarily” rant so feel free to scroll on past.

Yes, I’m absolutely convinced of it. She left later in the evening with someone she knew and was expecting to come pick her up. She put the dogs away and left. Of course evidence that’s surely known to LE could easily disprove this, and what happened beyond the moment she left is pure speculation, but consider this:

Leaving voluntarily and being abducted are not mutually exclusive. We have no indication where she might have gone, who she might have gone with, or what happened next. Any number of scenarios are possible after that car pulls out of the driveway.

While it’s obvious that a long term voluntary disappearance was not meticulously planned, that leaves a few options to consider: it’s possible that she only planned to be gone a short while, maybe overnight and would be dropped off at her car by early morning. Maybe not even that long, the original intention could have been to just run down to Casey’s and grab an energy drink. Maybe she was planning on spending the night with someone. Regardless, when she walked out that door she didn’t necessarily intend to be gone indefinitely.

Family will not accept she’s missing volentarily. Fair enough, they know her better than we do and they’re probably right. Not certainly right, but probably right. But to say she left voluntarily is not to say she’s now missing voluntarily. And that’s the point of view dad is expressing.

And while dad does specify that this is his own speculation, it would not make sense for him to speculate one thing when he knows all the while it’s not true. Point being: dad’s speculation is consistent with what he knows.

And dad’s message I believe is quite clearly directed at both Mollie and the person she’s with - whether voluntary or involuntary at this point, and without regard to motive. There’s no easy way to resolve this without a terrible backlash. Dad understands this, he’s here to help. Whatever it takes, just get her back.

Law Enforcement always does assessments of departed vs. foul play.

They made the assessment, with the evidence, to bring in a bunch of FBI.

They’ve been wrong before, everyone should know that. I just don’t know what evidence there is that points to a Voluntary act, and then to maintain it. People have to eat, get gas or transportation, get or make money. It takes money to do anything.

If her cell phone was on, 18 days ago the Cops would’ve showed up at her location.

If she left that town with her cell phone operational, they wouldn’t be looking in Brooklyn.

Yes I believe the BF mother stated in her interview early on in this situation that the phone is off and BF and Mother both reported making calls and texting with no response.

I don't know....

Is it just something a dad would say while holding on to hope?

Or is this a viable theory?

I honestly think this is what he wants to believe because like all parents of missing children it is far better to hope they are being held alive somewhere.

He has already said LE tells the family nothing as to what they have uncovered. That makes sense too, and he even said so. He said they didn't want the family knowing any of the facts/evidence because they could unintentionally mention it to the wrong person. (Paraphrasing)

He wants to believe she is alive as any parent would. He holds out hope because they have not found her body.

However; he may have guessed right somewhat. I do believe Mollie knew her abductor even if only casually, and she could have gotten in their vehicle thinking he was benign, and unassuming. We still do not know definitely when the abduction occurred. For all we know he could have offered her a ride to her mom's home and she saw no danger in entering his vehicle before it was too late to escape. Or he could have come to the home later, and told her something then where she would go with him.

I do not believe Mollie left on her own. Has the police implied she left willingly? TIA From what I have read she was constantly on social media, and a very outgoing social young lady. She wouldn't completely drop off the radar without any presence anywhere, imo. I haven't seen anything that supports Mollie was unhappy about anything.

When Sierra Lamar went missing it infuriated me when some tried to infer she simply had runaway when she, like Mollie, was also very socially active, both on the internet, and with friends/family. When everything stops, and its dead silence that never ends something is very wrong the vast majority of the time. I believe LE knows Mollie is no runaway, and has crossed paths with evil...just like so many others who were also abducted and harmed.

Many actions of LE seems to be looking to recover a body even though I am sure they hope to find her alive, even though they know the stats are against it.

Coworkers of Mollie Tibbetts surprised by disappearance

Local 5 spoke to employees at the Grinnell Regional Medical Center Day Camp, who say Mollie's disappearance didn't raise any alarms at first.

"It's not uncommon if someone is sick and maybe they forgot to phone in so we weren't too concerned that morning," said Jarrett Rose, a worker at the camp.

Agree, and as someone else mentioned, they would not be searching a pig farm and surrounding areas if they believed she left of her own volition.
Maybe I am reading a book by its cover, but to me, she and her boyfriend appear to be in love and planning a future together. If she had some secret life elsewhere, why come home for the summer to live with your boyfriend? All signs point to Mollie being taken against her will.
Also, who’s life is so serious at 20(someone with similar to Mollie’s circumstances anyway), that they choose to disappear without a trace? You would have to be in some very serious trouble, or involved with something very shameful to do this. She could have moved to the other side of the country and start a new life near her Dad. She seems like someone who had options, not the depraved type of individual who not only needs to disappear, but to hurt everyone she loves in the process and cost her community and local, state and federal LE, tax payers huge amounts of money and resources.

I am with you on the 3 hr phone call being unusual but when it was first discussed a number of threads ago the people that said it was in the range of 'normal' seemed to be in the majority. But I guess the world can be divided into 'talkers' and 'non talkers' so maybe MT and her dad are both 'talkers'?

I think the 3 hours is taken too literally. I have had conversations with people that took a total of 3 hours or 2+ hours, because of dropped signal on phones etc. If one of the 2 is running around doing errands, could just be a 3-hour window when they talked. Again without the actual call records, it is all a guess.

Maybe the atty's here can help out but aren't their lesser charges vs kidnapping? It might hinge on the intent of the person and this is an unknown in our case for now.

There are and it would completely depend on the exact situation when they returned. LE has trained hostage negotiators they'd use if they actually got in contact with a kidnapper who had a live Mollie. I doubt any prosecutor would agree to complete immunity but the officers can frankly say whatever they want within reason to get the victim back safe. If the victim says she agreed to go and things got out of hand, the state can decide to not bring charges and treat the case like a runaway. But I don't think many within LE would actually agree to complete immunity - you don't want to signal to the world that it's okay to kidnap people if you eventually agree to bring them back. It's still a crime and some crimes you can prosecute based on the evidence without a complaining witness (like DV).

In response to posts of her picking the car up after her jog, I’m can’t see why Mollie would be dropped off by her brother (and their shared car) at 5:30 only to be considering going to her mom’s to get the car a few hours later.
Also in response to her leaving voluntarily (as in she planned it) then would she have left the dogs and her responsibilities to care for them? Leaving voluntarily is a possibility if it means she accepted a ride and then ended up in trouble. Best case is this and someone has her still and will let her go. IMOO

That is my question also. Her brother needed the car that night so why would she be going to Mom's to get the car? It's not there.

But you would want your glasses...
well, if someone is keeping tabs on me to the point that they know how many pair of contacts I have that might just give me more reason to want to walk off. I don't think anyone was keeping that detailed of info and I don't think anyone knows it to be fact. they may think they do but unless every move was being monitored I just don't see it.

I tend to think it started as her going with someone because she wanted to, things could have gone south after that.

I spent two weeks traveling threw 9 states along I80, I40, and in between this summer. I stayed at hotels and camp grounds, I ate out, I shopped and not once did I show my id. hotels simply ask me to write my info into page or card. no I could not have got on a plane or bus or rented a car without showing id. employment would require id. being gone until you run out of money, no id required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member