Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It was known from the beginning exactly where she went missing from and the exact time. There was blood in the garage and her brother saw the person who took her, even though it was from a distance.
But if you remember her brother took a beating. Just like some folks have done with mollies brothers. Everybody thought hollys brother had something to do with it just because he was there. Poor kid!

I wonder in this whole little town who didn't show up to work the next day or might have had wounds. I suppose LE surely went business to business checking and I hope they knocked on the door of every house.

Someone mentioned that LE didn't do the usual appeal to the public to pay attention to changed behavior or appearance, etc., in anyone around the time of Mollie's disappearance. I do think things like that can go unnoticed perhaps because it seems unremarkable, or people are not paying attention, or connecting dots. So I think law enforcement statements reinforcing that and reminding people is important.

Wow, excellent find! That's amazing. And the guy almost got away with it! That's a much different circumstance, though, involving a spouse. I wonder if he planned it out well in advance, or if he got lucky in finding an open gravesite.
I think cemetaries are patrolled by LE all the time.

Do we know what time Friday's presser is?
When I was here at WS 12 hours ago someone posted the time (9:00 or 9:30??) -- but did not list the time zone.

But if you remember her brother took a beating. Just like some folks have done with mollies brothers. Everybody thought hollys brother had something to do with it just because he was there. Poor kid!
I don't think anyone thinks her brothers had anything to do with it. They were cleared almost immediately.

Someone mentioned that LE didn't do the usual appeal to the public to pay attention to changed behavior or appearance, etc., in anyone around the time of Mollie's disappearance. I do think things like that can go unnoticed perhaps because it seems unremarkable, or people are not paying attention, or connecting dots. So I think law enforcement statements reinforcing that and reminding people is important.
You know what else LE didn’t do? Warn the public that there might be a heightened danger. And they still haven’t. That to me says a lot.

Yes, and some thought he had some kind of drug relationship with the killers.

I am not seeing LE playing mind games with a suspect by changing PC dates. If they have a suspect...I am not convinced...they are working on getting enough to arrest him...that is plenty enough to do without telling us one more time they won’t be answering questions.

[QUOTE="The problem with cases like this where information is not being openly shared by LE is that the media go into a feeding frenzy in order to be the first to report the latest and they can be savage.[/QUOTE]

This is true. Some police departments, when dealing with a high-profile case, feel that it's best to "feed the beast" -- toss the media at least a few bones periodically to keep them happy. Otherwise, the beast goes hunting, and the results aren't always good.

It's really surprising that there haven't been any major leaks here. Could be due to shrinking newsrooms. Could also be due to this being handled by the FBI, which is always tight-lipped, along with a small, rural department that doesn't interact often with the media.

This is so wrong!! The problem here though is that I think they are bringing this on themselves. LE really hasn't released names of witnesses have they. I thought the witness' themselves came forward and were interviewed by media. Am I wrong?

The problem with cases like this where information is not being openly shared by LE is that the media go into a feeding frenzy in order to be the first to report the latest and they can be savage. If these locals contacted the media on their own accord they made a big mistake. The media will continue to hound them because they have nothing else to report on and that just makes some innocent people get the side eye from their fellow citizens. This guy came forward with good intentions I am going to assume did so in order to assist in this investigation. I hope law enforcement wasn't the ones to release their names to the press. I don't think they did since they have been so tight lipped about everything else and had to know the people would be stalked by the press. Other possible witness' seeing this will think twice before coming forward.

I admit I don't know why anyone would want to talk the press, particularly on camera, but I think a bigger issue is the media posting this witness's picture next to Mollie's as if he is the perpetrator. This is the kind of image you see in murder case articles after an arrest. I shake my head that someone who appears to have just wanted to offer helpful information now looks like he is associated closely with Mollie and what happened. I also wonder if sometimes people think if they speak directly to media, then what they said is clear and on record, but honestly from what I've seen, you can spell it out and you're still not heard correctly.

Speaking of missing women who have never been found, I was looking for the name of a young woman who vanished from her home, fairly secluded. I think it might have been in WA, the home near train tracks, her TV left on, door open. Vanished into thin air....I believe the case was never solved, and she was never found. The circumstances remind me of Mollie, alone in that house. (though I do believe Mollie was taken from outside on her run)

I couldn't find the info, but in searching I came across scores of young women who disappeared under suspicious circumstances, who are still missing.....no clues, no resolutions . It's horrifying.

<modsnipped>

My thought is that these Iowans are generally straight-shooting people, offering information and answering questions politely. Without guile. The most they're guilty of is being polite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this, I apologize if it was posted previously:

https://webcache.googleusercontent....fficking/914688002/+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

After Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance, authorities see rush of scary Facebook posts

///

When it comes to kidnapping and human trafficking, it's extremely rare for perpetrators to randomly abduct women, said Terry Forliti, executive director for Breaking Free, a nonprofit organization in St. Paul, Minnesota, that works to support people who are trafficked.

Victims of these crimes are typically already in vulnerable situations and may be homeless, runaways or addicted to drugs or have mental health issues.

Perpetrators groom these women and coerce them into prostitution, often by giving them drugs, shelter and money, Forliti said.

“There’s misconceptions that they throw people in cars and take them,” said Forliti.

“That’s not the way it works."

That appears to bolster a theory that MT knows her abductor who grabbed her for reason(s) other than that referenced in the article. It also leaves open the possibility that a stranger may have abducted MT for reason(s) other than that referenced in the article.

Might we then assume at this point MT was not targeted for HT?

Speaking of missing women who have never been found, I was looking for the name of a young woman who vanished from her home, fairly secluded. I think it might have been in WA, the home near train tracks, her TV left on, door open. Vanished into thin air....I believe the case was never solved, and she was never found. The circumstances remind me of Mollie, alone in that house. (though I do believe Mollie was taken from outside on her run)

I couldn't find the info, but in searching I came across scores of young women who disappeared under suspicious circumstances, who are still missing.....no clues, no resolutions . It's horrifying.

You reminded me of this, sorry for it's repeated.

Nancy Moyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member