Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wonder how long is too long? How much time goes by before LE throws everything out on the table and asks for public help. Do they ever? The cases I follow, they never do, and literally years go by. Does it become more important to get a conviction, or find a body? Hmmmmm

I think the only reason why I think she left willingly is because of the lack of evidence of a struggle or any kind of abduction as far as people seeing something. I also would like to think that I would’ve put up a fight. I would’ve screamed, I would’ve kicked up dirt or grass or whatever. I don’t know that they could’ve grabbed her with nobody seeing and forced her into a vehicle with nobody seeing or hearing? Unless it was incredibly dark or remote where she was?

We are not sure what LE have.
We don't know where the crime scene is

I hope not, but.....
A year or two from now we could be watching this case on dateline or unsolved mysteries. Everyone will have a theory or a poi, but it was never solved.
Sadly, I’m still waiting for Bryce Laspisa to be found. I followed his case from day one with heart and soul. I don’t live far from his family and helped search. He was the same age as my son at the time and a college student as well so I felt it could be my son. It’s so heartbreaking.

I always wonder how long is too long? How much time goes by before LE throws everything out on the table and asks for public help. Do they ever? The cases I follow, they never do, and literally years go by. Does it become more important to get a conviction, or find a body? Hmmmmm

Nothing against local LE, but they are just not experienced in such a bizarre and 'rare' 'crime' (I feel like I am over-using air quotes too much). That is not to disparage them. Local doctors refer all the time to experts in university medical centers when they come across something unusual.

However the haste the FBI came in suggests they are worried about: 1.) kidnapping; 2.) trafficking; 3.) something serial; 4.) Cyber related crime

<modsnipped- baiting>
I don’t know if it would violate TOS posting it though since it’s 100% speculation on my part. <modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I’m still waiting for Bryce Laspisa to be found. I followed his case from day one with heart and soul. I don’t live far from his family and helped search. He was the same age as my son at the time and a college student as well so I felt it could be my son. It’s so heartbreaking.

Still waiting on Bryce too @Whiteorchids! Such a very sad story.

Nothing against local LE, but they are just not experienced in such a bizarre and 'rare' 'crime' (I feel like I am over-using air quotes too much). That is not to disparage them. Local doctors refer all the time to experts in university medical centers when they come across something unusual.

However the haste the FBI came in suggests they are worried about: 1.) kidnapping; 2.) trafficking; 3.) something serial; 4.) Cyber related crime

Combination of 1. and 4. coupled with the lack of local LE in Brooklyn. They needed quick, effective, experienced assistance.

Opnion here. If it was someone local....I think it would be much more difficult to find her...if that's the case....than say someone random. If It was a crime of opportunity...they would not be super organized. Thoughts? Granted I'm holding onto hope it's all a misunderstanding and she's going to be ok.
I have no doubt it's a local, even if they weren't great friends. And most likely she went with him/her willingly at first. From what I have seen I think most people are ruling out random. But until we know anything is a possibility. But I think whatever the connection to WC is, is a big sign that it's local.

I think the only reason why I think she left willingly is because of the lack of evidence of a struggle or any kind of abduction as far as people seeing something. I also would like to think that I would’ve put up a fight. I would’ve screamed, I would’ve kicked up dirt or grass or whatever. I don’t know that they could’ve grabbed her with nobody seeing and forced her into a vehicle with nobody seeing or hearing? Unless it was incredibly dark or remote where she was?
I keep reading “no evidence if a struggle”. What evidence do you expect from someone grabbed up while jogging at night on outskirts of town? Highly likely crime of opportunity and happened quickly on all fronts. From abduction to assault to death and disposal. Not likely from Brooklyn but from further out or even further than that

Combination of 1. and 4. coupled with the lack of local LE in Brooklyn. They needed quick, effective, experienced assistance.
Agree

However the next level would the State of Iowa. State LE has expertise too. It's one level up from the county. For instance in narcotics cases the local LE would call state narcotics agents. Here, the FBI came in fast and furious. And I bet US Marshalls are aware too.

You know, we heard it about Delphi too. "But someone would have seen a total stranger in a town this small, it must have been someone they knew or felt safe with". And yet, not a single person saw squat, these poor children were grabbed in broad daylight, killed (savagely it sounds like) on someone's property, and the perpetrator seems to have vaporized with no clue as to who it was.

Also, why would the local police be kept in the dark, if that's true? If Mollie is the focus, the investigation into her disappearance needs everyone, certainly the local resources, who would still have jurisdiction over their own turf.

We see this in military issues as well. A retired general comes on cable news and characterizes what happened somewhere on a mountain in Afghanistan in a US military operation. If the media can't find any facts, it looks for someone's opinion.

I can buy that someone she crossed paths with previously who perhaps had singled her out might be responsible, but let's not forget that Karina Vetrano and Vanessa Marcotte were both jogging and were ambushed in daylight and swiftly killed by total strangers who were opportunistic predators, and no one saw it.

I have 2 potential theories apart from stranger abduction... which I pray is not the case.

1) Mollie was a psych major that seemingly had a lot of compassion for those struggling with mental illness. Maybe during her run or after her run, someone in need contacted her or showed up where she was. They could have been suicidal/claimed to be suicidal, and she may have gone with them willingly in an attempt to help. If this is the case, I pray this person shows the same compassion Mollie showed and ends this.

2) Could the family possibly have received any sort of ransom? LE may or may not know about this. Maybe some family members know and others do not? But it would explain the extreme reward and the family's focus on it. I would explain why it was announced at just 2k... to show the kidnapper that they were working towards getting the money. I know this is far-fetched... but it was just a thought.

New here and been following along for several days now. Not sure why this case drew me in, I'm usually not one to follow something like this to this extent. Smart conversations and insights here - but also some to me shocking opinions regarding personal freedom and tracking of things and people.
My theory, for what it's worth, at this point is that authorities have no clue what happened and that this is not executed well, but rather amateurish. Especially seeing how witnesses are apparently intimidated seems off. And I'm surprised that people here find it normal that a witness comes forward and basically has their house searched just for the heck of it? Is this conducted by the FBI or local police?
Many of us here have either had a loved one disappear or been witness to a disappearance, so that's where our feelings on personal freedom come from. Typically if you are a witness in a case where there is a missing person, they've had so many instances where the witness turned out to be the perpetrator, that they just routinely do a quick search. It's more of a walk through. But when you've lost someone because LE could have done a walk about and perhaps prevented something, it's something that haunts you forever.
I do however think it's horrible that any witness who volunteers to come forward is immediately subject to the what this recent witness has been subject to. I worry that it will make others less likely to come forward. I think that in the future, especially in high profile cases, LE may have to consider not releasing witness names.

Does anyone know for sure if the local LE in this case called the FBI in? I think this is the way it usually works unless there is something going on in the case where FBI has jurisdiction. I just don't seem to recall seeing whether LE called them in or not.
Thanks!

There is a reason the FBI is there. There is a reason they have given nothing at the PC's. There is a reason they have moved back the PC twice. There is a reason they are talking to WC. There is a reason Mollie is missing. There is a reason we don't hear about anything. I am tired of people slamming LE. This is what they do for a living. They are professionals, we are amateurs. HUGE difference. They're not sitting around baffled saying "well we just don't know". They know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing, and anyone else who thinks otherwise needs to take a step back and think for a moment. This is obviously very complicated or they wouldn't have 40 people working the case. They are going to cross the t's and dot the i's before they make a move. This is real life involving a real girl, a real family, a real community.
While I respect your opinion LE does make mistakes. Would you like to have a private convo about my friend’s cousin? Taken in her own car and found months later less than a mile from her abduction sight. lE never gave us much info either. We just know she was taken in her car and potentially harmed in the process. We can only speculate that they are doing the very best job. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member