IA IA - Dennis Clougherty, 23, Cedar Falls, 12 August 1974

Sorry, I haven't been online for awhile.

"Hello _____. I would like to ask you some questions about your brother, Dennis. For the sake of the investigation and to rule-out a theory, I was wondering if you would have any idea as to if Dennis was at all homosexual. We believe this may have been a motive for the crime. Thank you for you time."

Seem too blunt or is this good?

I can't bring myself to do it :( i'm nervous.

I messaged both Chris and James back in July, no reply yet, staying optimistic however.

I messaged both Chris and James back in July, no reply yet, staying optimistic however.
If you aren't on their friends lists, then your messages will go to spam folders and might never be seen. You should send them friend requests first.

If you aren't on their friends lists, then your messages will go to spam folders and might never be seen. You should send them friend requests first.

Oh, yes. That would make more sense haha. However, the friend request option is grayed out for some reason?

Oh, yes. That would make more sense haha. However, the friend request option is grayed out for some reason?
Some users have their profiles set up so that only friends of friends can send friend requests.

Okay, so I logged on to Facebook today, and none of his brothers have accepted my friend request.

However, I was looking through some old newspapers about DC today, and I found one that was published the day his body was found. IT suggested that the murderer killed DC, stole his 1971 cycle, and rode away. We know that isn’t true now, but it also stated that maybe the motive was related to a some sort of drug situation that had happened the earlier week in Cedar Falls, could this be a motive? I know that DC was only a hitchhiker but maybe he was accidentally involved in some way.

Also, what’s with the confusion as to how many times DC was shot. I’ve seen conflicting reports that either he was:

Shot 3 times in the stomach.

Shot 5 times in the chest.

Most sources say he was shot in the stomach, and in an interview, a news cameraman who visited the scene said, ‘He was on his back, clad in work clothes, his arms covering his face, and 3 bullet holes in his lower trunk.’

On another note, I think it’s a strange coincidence that he ended up with his arms over his head in a defensive position if he was just thrown in the ditch like I’ve read, the ditch wasn’t on a slant. But maybe he just landed or was placed that way, I don’t know.

Anyways, I will continue researching, if I find anything more, I will post here!

-Brooklyn

Share this poster everywhere please!

Attachments

• E5152D49-F66F-4DC6-B689-16915DE6B417.png
    E5152D49-F66F-4DC6-B689-16915DE6B417.png
    442 KB · Views: 7
I hate to say it, but i'm scared to message one of his brothers, it seems weird. Just contacting one of them and asking if their long past brother was a homosexual? I know that I would be weirded out.

Not to discourage you further (even though your post is over a year old) but they might not know that even if he were indeed gay. Sometimes it’s easier to hide things from family than it is to hide from everyone else. That would be even more prevalent back when this happened.

Many gay guys, especially in rural areas, did (and some still do) marry women and have families because that’s all they knew they could do.

I know plenty of men that have “come out” after their kids are grown, they’re widowed, etc. I’m talking about when they’re in their 60’s, 70’s or even 80’s. I used “coming out” term lightly because the guys I said I know were never someone you would even consider straight. They were just married with children.

Thanks for your comment and I agree. Chances are, the killers didn't know Dennis' sexual orientation. I can't imagine any guy hitch hiking across IA back then would have done that. He was just looking for a meal and probably another ride farther towards his destination.

The killer might not have been gay. Just someone who didn’t care about other people and just got rid of “inconveniences.” There are sadists, sexual sadists (of all persuasions) and just plain a-holes that hurt other people.

Truly gay serial killers didn’t often use a “clean” method like a gun. For whatever reason, gay serial killers were so EVIL to their victims. Gacy’s probably the most famous, but there were many who were just as or even more awful (Corll, Bonin, Eyler, Berdella, etc). They didn’t care if the guy (or kid) they were torturing was gay. Just that they were a young guy that they could do “their thing” to.

The killer might not have been gay. Just someone who didn’t care about other people and just got rid of “inconveniences.” There are sadists, sexual sadists (of all persuasions) and just plain a-holes that hurt other people.

Truly gay serial killers didn’t often use a “clean” method like a gun. For whatever reason, gay serial killers were so EVIL to their victims. Gacy’s probably the most famous, but there were many who were just as or even more awful (Corll, Bonin, Eyler, Berdella, etc). They didn’t care if the guy (or kid) they were torturing was gay. Just that they were a young guy that they could do “their thing” to.

Agree, ICBW, but my impression in this case is that the killer was not gay. Just an opportune target for robbery and a thrill kill. Just an evil person or persons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back