Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it difficult to grasp that she only had the 1 work tee shirt.. It's easy to determine if the red shirt found was the same brand/fabric as the screenprinted shirts she wore at work.

Not sure where you're located, but in the midwest, any dead deer or other even small animal not buried underground attracts a wake of buzzards lazily surveying the scene from overhead in the first days.

I spent a lot of time hunting in the South and summers at relatives in the midwest. Buzzards are usually there in a short period of time. However, we don't always go investigate. In the Hannah Graham murder case she was found a month later. One of the locals stated they did find it odd there had been so many buzzards in that area a couple of weeks earlier. But they never went to look in spite of LE telling the public to be alert.

In the midwest, we didn't pay them any mind, UNLESS we had cattle. Still, when feeding the cattle one day in the spring my grandmother noticed one of the Angus cows was missing. When she didn't show at a subsequent feeding, they looked for her and didn't find her. My brother and I found the remains and her tag later in the summer - she had apparently been hit by lightning based on the marks on the tree she was under. No one remembers seeing buzzards.

What bothers me here is that LE not only is not warning the public to be aware of personality changes in a person they know, but I'm not hearing a lot of requests from LE to landowners to search their properties. I wonder why that is? On purpose? Or poor investigative skills?

I think at this early stage, LE needs proof of harm to Mollie to arrest anyone...what could they charge at this point?

Any LEOs or attorneys on here right that can chime in to the specifics of this question?

Just had a thought...what if LE advised her boyfriend not to reveal the content of the SnapChat caption...this would make more sense to me then him not remembering the caption, moo. I know that when I’ve had friends pass, I always seem to especially remember our last conversation. I imagine it would be similar here. Not to mention the caption is right there on the phone to see until turned over to LE. This would be a major question that family, etc would ask, as well as something the individual would deeper ponder, I imagine: “what was the last thing(s) she said to you”?

Just had a thought...what if LE advised her boyfriend not to reveal the content of the SnapChat caption...this would make more sense to me as to him not remembering the caption. I know that when I’ve has friends pass, I always seem to especially remember our last conversation. I imagine it would be similar here. Not to mention the caption is right there on the phone to see, until turned over to LE.
It depends on how the picture was sent... And maybe it wasn't just an innocent "hey", but a more intimate image set to disappear after x seconds...

How many of us have that “one” person that we were nice to in high school who took our kindness the wrong way? For me, he is still in my small town and when I see him in Walmart, I try to avoid him seeing me.
This is what I keep wondering about our sweet Mollie.
And yes, I have seen the guy who haunts me from high school using the free computers at our library. Weirdo’s hang out in libraries.

Weirdos hang out at libraries? Next time I'm too cheap to buy a paperback and go to the library I'm going to wear a hoodie, a ball cap and sunglasses. So no one recognizes me. :cool:

Something with a married man is entirely possible. Those situations always end badly. Sometimes in violence.
When people feel "their" territory is threatened, anything can happen.
Yes and those are the kind that are usually hidden from SM. I know from experience. Harder to track down.

The fitbit doesn't really matter... When the phone dies it stops transmitting data... Did she have an iPhone? Android? Which model? That matters because of the features of both the phone itself and the software/apps available...

We also don’t know what the battery charge level was on her phone when she left the house. Some people are manic about having a full battery while others seem to always be at 3% charge.

My POV/Theory: At this point, I believe the investigators have a decent idea who is responsible and currently gathering solid evidence for a conviction. Everything indicates that she made it home that evening and either went missing late July 18 or on the morning of July 19. (Per Fitbit info as reported by the Jacks' neighbor, DC, and Mollie's computer activity as reported by JT as relayed to him via LE). The Jacks found their dogs in the basement, and per DJ and BJ, they are always released once someone is home. So, one can reasonably assume that Mollie released them when she returned from jogging prior to working on her school paper. With the dogs being found in the basement after Mollie went missing, and the house not disturbed, then it's likely that she confined them to the basement before she again exited the house (likely to work) in the morning, especially with assumption her red work shirt is missing (although that's in debate). She didn't pre-arrange to retrieve the shared car from her brother, despite an important event the next day at work. Not many would wait until the morning of work to figure out transportation when one needs to arrive at 8:00 AM (time, per co-worker). That would suggest that she had already pre-arranged a ride with someone else. With her digital footprint being kept under wraps, I think her cell phone and computer info has already led LE to a suspect/person of interest related to that possible ride arrangement.
Except - she would be wearing her sweaty jogging clothes to work in this case. I really doubt she would be going to work in sweaty, smelly clothes and without a shower. And we know she was still wearing those clothes because they are missing. I think she disappeared in the evening before she had taken a shower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it difficult to grasp that she only had the 1 work tee shirt.. It's easy to determine if the red shirt found was the same brand/fabric as the screenprinted shirts she wore at work.

Her mother stated two of her work shirts were still at the family home. Perhaps she kept only one at the Jacks' home?

My POV/Theory: At this point, I believe the investigators have a decent idea who is responsible and currently gathering solid evidence for a conviction. Everything indicates that she made it home that evening and either went missing late July 18 or on the morning of July 19. (Per Fitbit info as reported by the Jacks' neighbor, DC, and Mollie's computer activity as reported by JT as relayed to him via LE). The Jacks found their dogs in the basement, and per DJ and BJ, they are always released once someone is home. So, one can reasonably assume that Mollie released them when she returned from jogging prior to working on her school paper. With the dogs being found in the basement after Mollie went missing, and the house not disturbed, then it's likely that she confined them to the basement before she again exited the house (likely to work) in the morning, especially with assumption her red work shirt is missing (although that's in debate). She didn't pre-arrange to retrieve the shared car from her brother, despite an important event the next day at work. Not many would wait until the morning of work to figure out transportation when one needs to arrive at 8:00 AM (time, per co-worker). That would suggest that she had already pre-arranged a ride with someone else. With her digital footprint being kept under wraps, I think her cell phone and computer info has already led LE to a suspect/person of interest related to that possible ride arrangement.

Her jogging clothes and equipment are missing. They were not at DJ's nor at her moms. Doubtful that she wore them the next morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fitbit doesn't really matter... When the phone dies it stops transmitting data... Did she have an iPhone? Android? Which model? That matters because of the features of both the phone itself and the software/apps available...
What if she had the Fitbit Surge or Ionic? I thought they are not dependent on the phone for GPS, but have it built in.

Did her mom do her laundry? If she was taken on the way to her mom's with her dirty shirt to swap out that would explain why it's missing I suppose... Or if it was already dirty maybe she took it on her run as a cover up since she was only in a sports bra running.

Did her mom do her laundry? If she was taken on the way to her mom's with her dirty shirt to swap out that would explain why it's missing I suppose... Or if it was already dirty maybe she took it on her run as a cover up since she was only in a sports bra running.

Does any college kid do her/his laundry? Is the Pope Jewish?

Except - she would be wearing her sweaty jogging clothes to work in this case. I really doubt she would be going to work in sweaty, smelly clothes and without a shower. And we know she was still wearing those clothes because they are missing. I think she disappeared in the evening before she had taken a shower.

Not necessarily. She could have washed her clothes that night and had planned to wear them the next day with her red work shirt over the sports bra. It doesn't appear they had a strict dress code at work, so yoga jogging short/capri wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for her to wear going to the fair the next day.

What if she had the Fitbit Surge or Ionic? I thought they are not dependent on the phone for GPS, but have it built in.
They have a GPS receiver, but they don't transmit I believe .. Like the Garmin running watches. You can actually look at the watch and see your running path on a map, but it's useless until it syncs with your phone or computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa