Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really makes you appreciate this website more and the great job Tricia and the mods do to keep things under control.

OMG. I joined one of the FB groups regarding this case. I. Can't. Even. Reckless accusations, <modsnipped> wild WILD theories. I cringed. Grateful for WS! Thank you mods!

Last edited by a moderator:
We heard early on, from her bf's mother, that her glasses and contacts were in the house, and that her eyesight without them was bad. We haven't heard much, if anything, since then.

We don't know her jogging habits as far as I know, nor whether she was near-sighted or far-sighted.

Someone speculated recently that at first they were using "glasses and contacts in house", as proof that she had not packed to go somewhere and stay--a voluntary long-term disappearance. But, that whether she was wearing a disposable pair of contacts that evening was not really knowable.

So this has me thinking about the contacts. I wear disposable and have now for many years. All contact wearers in my family do as well. I am going to assume that maybe Mollie wears similar lenses. If her eyesight is bad without correction and I can't imagine any runner would run without them.

If I were missing and my husband wanted to find out if I was wearing my contacts or not, he would check my lens case that sits on my bathroom vanity on a glass soapdish. That is my routine and has been for many years. I'm wondering if that is what they meant when saying that her contacts were in the house. (I have a drawer where I keep my supply and I change those lens about once a month. I usually use a new case with every new pair. I do not sleep in them). If Mollie's lenses were in her daily cleaning case, then that is even more disturbing to me and makes me wonder if she was taken sometime after getting ready for bed and before getting ready in the morning.

Little regional differences like this are so interesting to me. I live in New Jersey and I have never thought twice about jogging with headphones on (something a lot of posters here agree is a no-no) but I would never jog in the street, even in my quiet neighborhood. I'll go around you, in the grass or something, if you're walking in front of me but jogging in the street seems crazy to me.
To me as well. In my neck of the woods, there are trails specifically for walking, jogging, and bike riding. We use those. The way people around here drive, I'd hit the treadmill before I'd jog on the street.

I just keep hoping that with today's technology...they could find her. I mean the us gov can find an ant on the side of a mountain in Afghanistan...but we can't find a young woman tied to multiple sm platforms...sorry...just getting sad... frustrated.

If they can get enough info, they can significantly narrow down the scope of their efforts ... those types searches will usually hit paydirt. Otherwise, they have to hope for something like a hunter tripping over something, a farmer hitting something with his combine, or that somebody squeals.

Around here, it almost seems like MOO = "peace out" :)

ETA: As a runner, watching some of SharonNeedles' videos gives me the creeps. Especially the cornfields and more remote areas, just before coming up to the house and electric co-op. I don't know, I see a stop-and-grab happening in a lot of those places. Not right in front of homes, obviously. It is a cute town and pretty areas, just definitely remote looking in some areas. Thank you for the videos!

MOO
Moo means my honest opinion.
Jmo , just my opinion.
Imo, in my opinion.

Little regional differences like this are so interesting to me. I live in New Jersey and I have never thought twice about jogging with headphones on (something a lot of posters here agree is a no-no) but I would never jog in the street, even in my quiet neighborhood. I'll go around you, in the grass or something, if you're walking in front of me but jogging in the street seems crazy to me.

I live in MS and no one here ever jogs on a sidewalk. Always on the side of the street or on a paved path/trail. Concrete sidewalks kill your knees. Plus, the frequent change of levels accommodating driveways etc. keep you from getting into a good rhythm.

Hey all my daughter lives in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. Yesterday a UNI college student was followed around the Cedar Falls WalMart. The couple followed her to her car and asked how old she was and said they noticed from her car she was in college (followed from the time she got out of the car and walked into WalMart). They grabbed her arm and said “come on let’s have some fun” and the girl began to scream. The pair ran off as a concerned person walked towards the scene with the girl screaming.
I hope LE in Powesheik is aware of this.

A male female couple? Shades of LC, (trafficking victim), and others.

Or maybe even like the Amish girls abduction (*advertiser censored*). Or Noelle Paquette (BDSM). Elizabeth Smart... Couples can not always be ruled out these days. Even if rare, Moo.

I don't know. There was a vehicle theft reported the day before. Could that be it?

It could be, but I doubt it. The strange thing is that the address given for the theft is an elementary school in Washington. The timing of the call was approximately 8:36pm. So it was still light at that time. The call for something recovered/found on Pershing was the next day, but it is over a 2 hour drive from Washington.

There was also someone arrest on 7/21 for Iowa code 714.7 which is operating a vehicle without owners consent and that was near where the left originally occurred.

I just read this newspaper article from The Mercury News. The article is an interview with
RT.
://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/08/from-oakland-to-iowa-mollie-tibbetts-family-relies-on-two-communities-and-clings-to-hope/

• The night she disappeared, Mollie texted her mom at 7:30 p.m., saying she was going for a runsomething she did most nights.
  • She was living with her boyfriend in Brooklyn for the summer, but he was out of town that night and police say he isn’t a suspect.
  • Mollie was likely wearing her Fitbit on her wrist.
  • Her phone is missing, but her wallet and purse were still home.
  • Police won’t say what they’ve done to try to track her through technology or other means.
  • Despite the distance, he’s remained close with his children through the years.
  • Every weekend, he spends hours on the phone with all 3.
  • He spoke with Mollie a few days before she disappeared.
  • She was about to sign a lease for her first college apartment in the fall.

This list of people missing in Iowa in July, is frightening and overwhelming.
The statistics here are also available on the Iowa State database online.

In Just the Last Two Weeks, Dozens of Children in Iowa Have Vanished
State officials say that current stats are in line with historical levels. Mmmmm. Still no comment from the Gov on the crime stats as she says she is focused on her reelection campaign. Interesting priorities from the Gov IMO and a disappointing choice as so many people have said they are scared after all the recent events and don't feel safe in their homes. I realize she probably doesn't want to have people say she is taking political advantage of the current crime events but I think it might have been a nice humane gesture to go to Brooklyn or some of the other towns where people have gone missing to reassure the people that the State is doing everything it can to help not just MT but other Iowa missing persons as well. JMO but sometimes kind gestures from politicians can reassure people in times of uncertainty and unfortunately the Gov seems to have been hiding under her desk on the issue of crime. Rant over.

Mom24's timeline and synopsis of case:

IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #21

Jennifermn's case map:

IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #19

SharonNeedles' videos of the area:

Thanks for your time and effort with these projects!

Thanks so much for the video SharonNeedles. WOW Brooklyn I think is a smaller town than where I live. That is a lot of corn too. I see now why everyone was saying it is thick and would be hard to just go running through the corn. Plus I see it doesn't look that secluded (houses everywhere). And later on in the afternoon (like you said and makes sense) more people would be on their porches (there are a lot of houses with porches) sitting and resting so to speak after work so there would be many people watching their surroundings. I would think that more people watching would mean that they would have seen Mollie get abducted.

I agree that this is a possibility but appease them in what way?
Family might think releasing more details will help the investigation, family might be afraid that resources will fade if public interest fades, family members themselves could very well be wanting to know more about what investigators know. I don't buy the notion that family members are arm-in-arm with investigators, making public comments that have been "scripted" by police. That just doesn't happen. Most victims I've dealt with complain about how they were left in the dark during the investigation. They understand why, but get frustrated.

Weird. KWWL has a story on the current search going on, but their FB has a video with a young lady reporting from the scene on Hwy 63 on the side of the road that lasts for almost 8 minutes. She reports that Black Hawk (I am assuming that's a county) sheriff with the assistance of Waterloo PD and an Iowa State Police airplane are doing the search which involved 5 boys, who broke into a barn and stole something. 4 boys were found, the search was on for the fifth. At the time this video was taken, the ISP was only in the air, but now seen to be on the ground as well. The story hasn't been updated since 11:37.
My question would be if there's nothing to the story, why all the fire power? Or...is this normal for a farming community search?

OMG. I joined one of the FB groups regarding this case. I. Can't. Even. Reckless accusations, <modsnipped> wild WILD theories. I cringed. Grateful for WS! Thank you mods!
You know, in all seriousness, those groups are specifically why I take my daughter with me when I go to Brooklyn now. I don’t look nearly as suspicious with my kid in the car.

Updated List:
WHAT WE KNOW

• Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  • Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  • She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • The dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • She went for a run at 7:30
  • She usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • DJ sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • JT sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  • NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  • RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  • DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
DC, time unknown, West St - told by LE (not an actual sighting) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

FBI poster indicates she was last seen running on Pershing Drive
MOLLIE CECELIA TIBBETTS

I believe she was taking a summer course, getting some extra credits out of the way in order to make the rest of her course load a bit lighter.

MOO = my

opinion only (or there’s another variation meaning close to the same thing)

IMO---In my opinion
FWIW__For what it's wos rthrth
I hate to admit this but I don't think we'll be finding Mollie alive. I think they should be looking for her in the usual hiding places...under a bridge or in a culvert, in water, near the side of the road.

Eh! how bout a "CORNFIELD"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member