New to this case and new to the forum

you're welcome (greetings from vienna here)!

just take your time i know how that is when you begin reading into it - it is like WTF, in a row..:) (also some links at callahan, best source, won't work no more as it seems - feel free to ask maybe someone has those links saved, or written down the content)

you said:
"Another thing that's bugging me from reading JMB statements. It sounded like the police/search and rescue where a bit slow in starting their search for the boys , is this this case? or am I just reading into it incorrectly?"

no, you are right. all those people in the woods searching on may 5th - all civilians. no cops. pam hobbs was furious, she called police, they told here yeah yeah, cops were searching but she did not see any cop on the streets, or in the woods...

and JMB and the knife, let's see:
yes, end of january 94, police got the information from the crimelab that the blood on the knife contained blood types of JMB, and chris byers (chris was not JMBs biological son).
yeah, and then they questioned him on the stand and he is fumbling around, i know... cutting toenails, cutting deer... i mean he was most probably not really there (took some calm-down pills or whatever)... a strange figure, indeed.

i think this is the report reg. the byers' knife from Genetic Design from january 27th, 94.

I have just read through John Mark Byres First Statement dated May 24th 1993. My first reaction from his statement is, that I do not think JMB was involved. While it's clear that this man is certainly a character, from reading his statement, I feel like his information flowed and he came across very honest. It also sounded like he has a reputable alibi. He was at the Drs/Hospital for tests that morning and then was at court with his older son Ryan? then when he returned home, his wife Melissa was on the phone and Christopher was not there ( I hope i've got all of this right).

For people who believe him to be involved, in what time frame was he supposed to have committed the murders?

I also found it so heartbreaking that he and others had actually searched near the area where the boys were found and were calling their names. Little did they know at that time that the boys were dead in the water :(

JMB's alibi is a bit convoluted, but here are some interesting tidbits that JMB might have left out. I'm going off of memory here, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me:

When JMB stopped to pick up RC at home, JMB had found that CB had tried to "break in" to his locked house. You see, CB was too young to have a key, and he went to SB's house after school (it would seem), just missing the boys. RC was supposed to let CB into the house (since RC was allowed to have a key, being older), but RC told JMB he never came home. He stayed and watched muppets with Amanda (SB's sister) at SB's, then returned home (around 4 or 4:30), after JMB and RC went to court, at which time, he most likely attempted to break into the house. He tried to enter through a window in the kitchen, but the window was blocked by a microwave, preventing him from entering. I can't remember exactly, but I believe he broke the window. So, JMB was upset that CB had tried to break in and wasn't home when he was supposed to be.

On his way back from dropping off RC at court, JMB drove back home to see if CB had returned and/or to pick up his wife MB from work. On his way back, JMB found CB riding his skateboard in the middle of the street, which is obviously dangerous and which he was forbidden to do multiple times. JMB picked up CB and drove him back to the house, where he spanked him (more on this later) and where he told him clean the carport as further punishment.

JMB last sees CB cleaning the carport. He goes back to court for RC, as MB is now home to watch CB. When he returns, CB is nowhere to be found.

JMB then goes looking for CB, saying he "will have to give him another whipping." He told this to multiple people, including Charles Posey, who said he saw CB just before JMB came looking for him; and that CB said he was running away.

JMB tries to downplay certain things that day, because he knows they don't look good to police. He downplays the spanking as "just a couple slaps with his blue jeans on," but I believe the coroner found spank marks/bruises on his buttocks, indicating it was more severe than that, from prior occurrences. Also, in an old message board, there was a person who claimed to be from the area, who had said that JMB was known to physically abuse CB, so much so, that this family would try to keep CB out of the house by taking him to Walmart, etc. The family could't handle CB though, because he had ADD and would act up.

My point is, you have a step father, who is already very upset with one of the victims, actively hunting them before they were technically missing; who puts himself in the crime scene in the early morning hours (said he searched the woods in his truck). Just food for thought.

The one thing in his defense, is that he was the first parent to actually call the police (around 8:30 pm that night, I believe).

just take your time i know how that is when you begin reading into it - it is like WTF, in a row..:) (also some links at callahan, best source, won't work no more as it seems - feel free to ask maybe someone has those links saved, or written down the content)

you said:
"Another thing that's bugging me from reading JMB statements. It sounded like the police/search and rescue where a bit slow in starting their search for the boys , is this this case? or am I just reading into it incorrectly?"

no, you are right. all those people in the woods searching on may 5th - all civilians. no cops. pam hobbs was furious, she called police, they told here yeah yeah, cops were searching but she did not see any cop on the streets, or in the woods...

yes, end of january 94, police got the information from the crimelab that the blood on the knife contained blood types of JMB, and chris byers (chris was not JMBs biological son).
yeah, and then they questioned him on the stand and he is fumbling around, i know... cutting toenails, cutting deer... i mean he was most probably not really there (took some calm-down pills or whatever)... a strange figure, indeed.

i think this is the report reg. the byers' knife from Genetic Design from january 27th, 94.

Thank you !

I'm learning and reading all kinds of "extra" information that the Paradise Lost and West of Memphis documentaries left out. There is a whole mountain of information and it is such a frustrating case! I feel so angry that most of the DNA can't be re- examined in this day and age.

I have finished reading up on the documents of JMB. TBH I thought there would be a LOT more police statements and reports on him as thew Paradise Lost documentaries push the idea that he was a major suspect but after reading the documents on Callahan, to me, it does not look like the police seriously considered him a suspect. I could be wrong? does anyone else agree that after watching Paradise Lots and then looking into the actual evidence that it feels like HBO really over pushed the idea of JMB being a suspect?

I remember a part in one of the documentaries that really annoyed me. There was a "support group" for Damien, Jason and Jessie and they approached JMB at a court hearing I think it was and some blonde bossy female was questioning him about his wifes's death like "what happened to Melissa"..."oh when did you get your new teeth" etc etc, I thought this was really rude and inconsiderate of her. She had no proof a this time that JMB was involved in the murders and to bring up such a personal subject like his dead wife was really inconsiderate in my opinion.

you said:

oh and hello to you in Austria!!

Hey there, yeah I am in Scotland so yes Euro time zone.

I feel strongly that JMB was not involved ( I will read up more on Hobbs later) I do find it strange that JMB was so inconsistent with regards to how blood was find on his knife that he gave to HBO, first of all it was the knife had never been used and then it was oh it had been used for cutting up deer into jerky but I guess this can all be put down to human error and the mind does fade after a while. Was the blood on the knife ever proven to be Christopher's blood? or just blood consistent with Christopher? Is it possible Christopher could have found this knife at some point and played with it and accidentally nicked himself?

Another thing that's bugging me from reading JMB statements. It sounded like the police/search and rescue where a bit slow in starting their search for the boys , is this this case? or am I just reading into it incorrectly?

Thanks for your info, this helps a lot.

Believe it was "consistent" with CB's blood. The interesting thing about the blood though is that, it was found "inside" where the blade meets the handle -- in other words, not accessible to wipe. The blade itself was completely clean, as was the handle. That might mean something; might not -- just food for thought. I always thought it strange to "gift" a knife to someone, but in the south region of the US, evidently that is a somewhat common gift. People thought that JMB was trying to "get rid" of the knife by gifting it to the film producers of the Paradise Lost movies.

@Userid
hm.... JMB being the first parent to acutally call the police... here is a quote from pam hobbs "i didn't know stevie was gone until 9:30pm".... hobbs claimed to have called the police as early as 6pm, but never did. says he was with jacoby at a police station. jacoby denies that. .. did you know that?

yeah... i don't know about todd moore, but JMB and TH were just bad stepfathers. apparently unable to discipline with words. two idiots.

ETA: yes giving the knife to a film crew member is just out-there weird... i have no idea what he was thinking. maybe nothing.

Last edited:

I'm from the US, so greetings to both of you :) Please don't judge the majority of Americans by the current incumbent of the Whitehouse.

Back then, it was somewhat standard to wait 24 hours before calling in a missing child. I know, that probably seems crazy to you, but that's how it was back then -- because if kids were called in before that time frame, the police would waste resources many times, since the kids would eventually return home. Everybody hated this back then; and it's obviously been changed now -- but this wasn't an uncommon practice and it wasn't only done in West Memphis, but across the country.

i won't. yeah and please don't judge the majority of austrians by our current government (ultraconservative/far right)...:) oh how i hate them i can't even say it..

alright, enough, let's proceed.

@Userid
hm.... JMB being the first parent to acutally call the police... here is a quote from pam hobbs "i didn't know stevie was gone until 9:30pm".... hobbs claimed to have called the police as early as 6pm, but never did. says he was with jacoby at a police station. jacoby denies that. .. did you know that?

yeah... i don't know about todd moore, but JMB and TH were just bad stepfathers. apparently unable to discipline with words. two idiots.

ETA: yes giving the knife to a film crew member is just out-there weird... i have no idea what he was thinking. maybe nothing.

No I don't really know a lot about what Hobbs said at this point, I'm working my way through the documents so I will let you know :)

@Userid

Yes, that was uncorroborated, but then again, many things from JMB were uncorroborated (by witnesses he provides) too.

Alyssa, JMB was definitely looked at as a suspect. They took many samples from him. If you just look on Cally's under his name, you see there is more information on him than any other father -- that's not a coincidence. Yes, the movies definitely zeroed in on him; they're doing the same thing now, with TH -- and it seems like they only switched, when JMB became a supporter of the WM3 (along with PH).

Believe it was "consistent" with CB's blood. The interesting thing about the blood though is that, it was found "inside" where the blade meets the handle -- in other words, not accessible to wipe. The blade itself was completely clean, as was the handle. That might mean something; might not -- just food for thought. I always thought it strange to "gift" a knife to someone, but in the south region of the US, evidently that is a somewhat common gift. People thought that JMB was trying to "get rid" of the knife by gifting it to the film producers of the Paradise Lost movies.

I have to admit, I did think it was a very unusual "gift" to give someone. I wasn't sure if that was the kind of culture in the USA but I did not want to come off as ignorant or racist by asking this! There is a big Knife culture here in Scotland, especially in my home town of Glasgow, it seams to be the weapon of choice for murders and youths carry them around to look "tough" but we do not really have a hunting culture here so I actually think it's illegal to own such knives here, it is an arrestable offence to be found with one on your person on in your home. I think that's why I was so surprised that it was given as a "gift"

i saw PL1 the first time around summer 2007... that's when i joined the general WM3 message board (the crimson-red board)... and then switched to a smaller one (wm3blackboard) and yes i admit there was - because it was the time that they interviewd TH and the mtDNA report reg. his hair - a strong focus on hobbs... but i already had a good knowledge of the case, so , to me, it was just a natural thing, him being a natural suspect and so on...

i am just saying this because Userid meant the supporters switched from that to that... i didn't see it like that, anyway. i was never on the JMB did it-bus. i wonder still to this day why he made some decisions he made, but, yeah, you know my stance by now.

i saw PL1 the first time around summer 2007... that's when i joined the general WM3 message board (the crimson-red board)... and then switched to a smaller one (wm3blackboard) and yes i admit there was - because it was the time that they interviewd TH and the mtDNA report reg. his hair - a strong focus on hobbs... but i already had a good knowledge of the case, so , to me, it was just a natural thing, him being a natural suspect and so on...

i am just saying this because Userid meant the supporters switched from that to that... i didn't see it like that, anyway. i was never on the JMB did it-bus. i wonder still to this day why he made some decisions he made, but, yeah, you know my stance by now.

The producers of the films definitely made that switch. Maybe it was different depending on which particular message board you were on, but TH is "the guy" among the grand majority of the supporter movement now; before him, it was definitely JMB. JMB stopped being a suspect for these same people once he became a full-blown supporter.

you mean West of Memphis, right... amy berg (director)? sure... focus on hobbs.. interview with jacoby.. shots of snapping turtles... but that was when.. 2012?
but PL1 and 2, no focus on hobbs. more JMB.

look i was at the WM3DB to defend the wm3 like crazy... then i guess it was user paid(forsomebitch), who said come on over to the blackboard.. mainly cause i couldn't stand the fighting no more AND of course... that hobbs guy made me curious.
paid was also a dentist. we had some interesting discussions..just some people trying to piece something together that seemed loose..

I wanted to find out what happened. i like to think of myself as an independently-thinking individual. that people say i jump on some bandwagon (heard that term a lot) is something i have to endure i guess.. i don't mind.

ETA: West Memphis Three Discussion Board, looks different now (haven't been there since nearly 10 years), back then it was in crimson-red, or the "vine board" as it was called. i think it was the board to go back then... early 2000s. weren't you there? i think i was user herbertwestmd, lol.
blackboard is down.. what a pity.

Last edited:
you mean West of Memphis, right... amy berg (director)? sure... focus on hobbs.. interview with jacoby.. shots of snapping turtles... but that was when.. 2012?
but PL1 and 2, no focus on hobbs. more JMB.

look i was at the WM3DB to defend the wm3 like crazy... then i guess it was user paid(forsomebitch), who said come on over to the blackboard.. mainly cause i couldn't stand the fighting no more AND of course... that hobbs guy made me curious.
paid was also a dentist. we had some interesting discussions..just some people trying to piece something together that seemed loose..

I wanted to find out what happened. i like to think of myself as an independently-thinking individual. that people say i jump on some bandwagon (heard that term a lot) is something i have to endure i guess.. i don't mind.

ETA: West Memphis Three Discussion Board, looks different now (haven't been there since nearly 10 years), back then it was in crimson-red, or the "vine board" as it was called. i think it was the board to go back then... early 2000s. weren't you there? i think i was user herbertwestmd, lol.
blackboard is down.. what a pity.

And PL directors (Berlinger, Sinofsky) and Free the WM3 movement (Burke Sauls, Kathy Bakken, Grove Pashley) and the grand majority of supporters in general.

That's my point: PL2 focused on JMB; then PL3 focused on TH.

I know Paid and read his stuff -- I think he's a bit of a joke personally. That isn't a bite mark at all. His efforts were admirable, but I think he freaked out and quit the board once other members simply pointed out some flaws in his theory. I used to read that very board, but only joined later (in early 2010's, I think). Then this troll John Nickerson came and ruined the entire board, so no one goes there anymore. Do you know Wolf and Wayne?

true, there was a 3rd one, yes.. i forgot that. yes, you're right.. i remember they showed the Supreme Court hearing there, too. or was it in WoM?.. can't remember.

Wolf (she) was very nice.. Wayne, yes, that rings a bell... but i guess he was so-so..
reg. paid, sure... like i said, fightings all around. i don't remember any teeth-theories from him too much to be honest, altough it makes sense since he was a dentist.. when i joined the blackboard, the topic was hobbs, all the new reports, his interview and how it compares to the facts, etc.

Thans again guys for your valuable information.

Ok so I am now reading the statements of Michael Carsons (I think thats his name) he was incarcerated at the same time as Jason Baldwin and claims that Jason confesses all the gory details to him . How credible is this guy? I think I remember hearig he later admitted his testimony was false ?

reg. michael carson.
yap. said he made it up. like vicki hutchinson did with echols..

if they only would have let jason baldwin on the stand. out of the 3, he seemed and looked to me the most not guilty one. jmo.

reg. michael carson.
yap. said he made it up. like vicki hutchinson did with echols..

if they only would have let jason baldwin on the stand. out of the 3, he seemed and looked to me the most not guilty one. jmo.
So why haven’t they been charged for purgory? I don’t understand why people would lie about such things , it makes me angry

am i really getting so old or what...-where did michael carson talk into camera that he is sorry he lied blablabla... was it WoM or PL3? i swear he's on camera apologizing to jason. years later.

@Alyssa
yes, that makes you very angry... i don't know if they ever received proper punishment for that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back