WA - Major security incident at SeaTac Airport. All planes are grounded, Aug 2018

How Richard "Beebo" Russell Became the Icarus of the Northwest
Thank god it wasn't terrorism. It was just a regular, even lovable white guy who happened to lose his marbles, stole a plane made by Canadians, and crashed it after what looked like a joy ride in the sky. (It's usually a car; but this time, it was an aeroplane.) We can sleep in peace. "He was that kid you high-five in the hallway even if you don't know him." Yes, that kind of guy. Not some morose Muslim. Some god-mad brown kid from Somalia who hates America with all of his guts. Russell might have put a lot of lives in danger, but we are all certain that he did not hate America.

Even Anchorage News Daily really wants you love this guy who fell out of the sky and exploded on an island that's visible from an Amtrak Cascades train, not long after it departs Tacoma, heading to Portland:

Howell said he remembered Russell as a natural leader who wrote people's names and weight-lifting accomplishments on weight belts in the school's weight room as motivation.... "Still to this day, you go into the Wasilla High gym, there's a weight belt that says Beebo," Howell said.... "Everybody wanted to be around Beebo," he said. As for why Russell chose to steal a plane and end his own life, Howell was at a loss for words. "There's just no explanation."

In this respect, his death comes close to the form of Icarus—a Northwest Icarus:

In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water, and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

It might have occurred to Russell, before his lights went out forever, that the island looks a little like a slug.
Suspected Seattle airplane thief was adventurer, bakery owner who did 'pretty cool things'

The general aviation stuff IS scary

i just dont think there are a lot of people capable to do what he did

like to have the variables all come together again

works on tarmac

passion for aviation

practices on simulator (well see if they relese what was at his home in terms of games - I think we are gonna find out he had been playing on them for years -- not like planning anything playing

suicidal

it was really was a like domino effect of things if that makes sense

they all will carry on for a bit about making stuff secure ( like after terrorist attacks - put more cops and dogs out for a couple of days after)

Its odd on a international story how little background has been reported

i think it is cause he hurt nobody - we know what shoe size someone needs if they killed 69

moo

Someone else is going to do this with this level of glorification. I wonder how many bodies the firefighters will be dragging out.

I think the focus on the "amazing journey" he had taken as his last acts loses focus on the issue of a mental illness that appeared to be gripping him. I also wish that more was being made of the recklessness of his actions and a need for/encouragement to find help for those we love.

I don't think it is possible to do what he did again but there should be attention paid to the stressors (job-wise and financially) of those who are in this industry-- from the gate agents to the pilots as well as the ATCs.

Their facility at airport

alas-fe4.jpg

alas-fe3.jpg

alas-fi2.jpg

Alaska Airlines Aircraft Maintenance Facilities

oh cr@p

this is why i prefer to write some and post it so if the things crashes i don't have to do what i am doing now - writing it all over !

website just did something

going off of what i was in middle of posting!

tid bits :

alaska air had big fight 5 years ago with govt about wages and won
way it has been since that war was folks in heated buildings assembling hamburgers were making 15 hr ramp 12

lady who worked with two days in a row last week said he was his old funny self
cargo facility tucked off -- the end building of the facility

130 was his start time he was coordinating baggage (wieght and balance stuff related to luggage . They give those numbers to flight crew to use in calulating the speeds needed on the runway to lift the nose into the wild blue yonder!<

he was about half a mile away from facility used a pushback tow to drive over to base

He did not have security clearance to access runways or taxiways, according to Perry Cooper, Public Information Officer for Sea-Tac International Airport.

this stuff is mainly for the cars that run up and down the runways to check for stuff ( like a bolt on the runway) deicing trucks etcs (car stuff) when they are on taxi or runway they have to call to ground control just like the planes and wait for clearance to proceed

Last edited:
continued:

dont have link restarted after website crashed

workers say he did not seem angry at work

apparently he came barreling out of cargo area and was noticed very quickly by ATC who immediately called for the F 15s

they have 300 of his type of position usually 100 per shift

he always read when it go slow -- airports are always either slammed then quiet down markedly and then another wave comes in -- they all do this so the connections can happen .

Last edited:
Last edited:
ah ha

very important in terms of context and what (I think) most of us think.

Actually he did exactly what he said he was going to the comment about nose down call it a day after i do a flip

that is what he did

the golf course guy who took the viral video (waldron) said it was 15 seconds after that shot that he heard it hit

i think most put some long timeframe into it it was 15 seconds after he did the loop he crashed it

so he chose land impact as opposed to the water ( they were super religious I wonder if he did that so they could have something to bury or whatever?)

good
Stolen Q-400 plane not for beginner pilots

Last edited:
Because he's trying to make an excuse for an action that he knew was wrong. We know he knew it was wrong because he was "apologizing" while he did it.

of course he knew it was wrong --humans do wrong things 1.6 trillion times a day!

his main concern was that no one else got hurt

We now know he crashed it in full daylight . You can see by this report how far away from houses he crashed it on the island

Stolen plane wreckage hauled off Ketron Island

getting to the scene (Nick, the fireman -------------- is hot!! Pardon the pun!)

Firefighters battle more than flames after Ketron Island plane crash

oh brother

I have bad news!

This airport is the (other one other than Miami) that screens every employee who is behind the scenes.

So lets see how politicians play this game out for the next couple of weeks.

The PR (BS) has already at the airport. There are shouting about how they have some extra beautiful doggies and cops (don't know if the cops are beautiful!) -- exactly what would that have done the 10th?

nothing!

How to improve security measures after Seattle plane theft

Last edited:
his main concern was that no one else got hurt

Tell that to his grieving wife and family. Also remember he had no flight instruction and flew from a major airport and over thousands of homes and crash landed not far from homes.

"He didn't want to hurt anyone" is not correct no matter how many times you repeat it. We got lucky. He's no different from a drunk driver who manages to hit a tree instead of a minivan with a family inside.

Stuff is acting up sorry if there some double posts

Timeline of past aerospace inside threats:

2015: A German Wings A320 crashes in the French Alps killing all 150 on board after the first officer locks the captain out of the flight deck and aims the plane toward the ground. The hardened post 9-11 cockpit doors keep the captain from getting back in, leaving the suicidal co-pilot alone in the cockpit. The airline said it was not aware of the mental illness diagnoses of the co-pilot.

1999: An Egypt Air 767 having left a stop at JFK on the way to Cairo crashes in the Atlantic killing 217 people. The National Transportation Safety Board concludes it was a pilot who brought the plane down to commit suicide.

1994: A pilot deadheading aboard a FedEx DC-10 freighter attacks the pilots flying the plane with hammers and a spear gun. The pilots with the help of another employee subdue the attacker and manage to land the plane safely.

This was an unreal event:

Caution : not for the faint of heart

1987: A former employee of PSA airlines manages to smuggle a 44 Magnum aboard a small jet known as a Bae 146, shoots the pilots in what was believed a revenge attack against another passenger after being fired. Forty-three people were killed.

How to improve security measures after Seattle plane theft

ah ha

very important in terms of context and what (I think) most of us think.

Actually he did exactly what he said he was going to the comment about nose down call it a day after i do a flip

that is what he did

the golf course guy who took the viral video (waldron) said it was 15 seconds after that shot that he heard it hit

i think most put some long timeframe into it it was 15 seconds after he did the loop he crashed it

so he chose land impact as opposed to the water ( they were super religious I wonder if he did that so they could have something to bury or whatever?)

good

Is it really necessary to wax so rhapsodic about his brilliance? To be so careful to parse his words looking for context? He stole a passenger airplane, endangered thousands, ruined his family.

Would all this loving fascination be heaped upon him if he had been a man of another religion, even with all the other circumstances being the same? I think he’d be called a terrorist hijacker and there would be pure outrage at the danger he exposed to innocent people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back