Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to figure out how anyone in Brooklyn, Iowa could be under surveillance without the whole town knowing. I forgot that it's 2018 and had this vision of 1950s cops with fedoras and lots of coffee and unfiltered cigs cruising town. I bet the agent doing the surveillance doesn't even have to leave their desk these days.

I have a hard time with a scenario where Mollie is being held captive by a known person (or any person), and law enforcement is sending messages to the perpetrator in code or having secret handshakes with potential witnesses, etc.

Even if this was true, a desperate person under pressure or threat of exposure in a major crime is not going to just give up his victim and allow his own capture. A predator does not reason "They're onto me, I better just give her back." And he is not going to run off somewhere to escape and leave her alive in an abandoned building or homemade bunker to tell her story.

<modsnipped references non MSM>

I still believe that Mollie's life ended shortly after she was taken. I hate that. But I think the held captive narrative has run away with itself.

Have there been any behavior analysts’ input ( Eyes For Lies) re interviews and the like?
I’m swamped and having trouble staying updated. Thank you to all who fill us in!

Assuming Mollie is alive, whether she's held captive of somebody she knows or an stranger, I believe she has the personality to possibly earn that persons trust, and secure enough freedom to effect her escape, or where the perp lets their guard down and Mollie escapes (or perp releases her). AH was held captive in a metal shipping container for 9 months on Nate Kibby's property where I believe she escaped under the similar circumstances. I recall her captor even allowed her to send her Mum a letter to let let her know she was alive! From what I've learned about Mollie, if anyone could escape it would be her...

<changed full name to initials>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am struggling with a idea of where does LE , or how does LE draw a line of public safety vs recovery of a missing person or even remains. would they try to get the perp more or would they try to recover alive, remains more. I understand they try to tiptoe and dance with what they have and get their criminal AND recover but when or if it comes down to they can only have one how do they decide which they want more? or which one they want first....

Has anyone else listened to the audio from the video the day before she went missing? Sounds like her phone is on speaker and a guy says “Call me tonight.” And a girl in her group sitting there says “Is that Dalton?”[
I tracked it down and listened several times and it sounds to me like she says, "Is that dog poo?" That was pretty out of left field but so is the whole clip.

Wow, I've been away on vacation and have missed so much! I don't have the time to catch up so I just read the tail end of the last thread....I get the vibe that opinions are shifting with this group...that she may be alive after all and is being held against her will? I've been here since the beginning and there was an entirely different vibe a couple of weeks ago. What is everyone thinking now?

If she was being held against her will she would have escaped within two days. There is no way that the abductor could possibly guard her for that long unless he is Hannibal Lechter.

I have a hard time with a scenario where Mollie is being held captive by a known person (or any person), and law enforcement is sending messages to the perpetrator in code or having secret handshakes with potential witnesses, etc.

Even if this was true, a desperate person under pressure or threat of exposure in a major crime is not going to just give up his victim and allow his own capture. A predator does not reason "They're onto me, I better just give her back." And he is not going to run off somewhere to escape and leave her alive in an abandoned building or homemade bunker to tell her story.

<modsnipped references non MSM>

I still believe that Mollie's life ended shortly after she was taken. I hate that. But I think the held captive narrative has run away with itself.
While intellectually I'm very much inclined to agree with you, wouldn't it be brilliant if Mollie was held captive by a lonely older man who "got in over his head," and finally let's Mollie go-- knowing he'll likely spend his remaining life behind bars, which in his mind, already see's himself a prisoner living in loneliness under a dark cloud.

As to the phone conversation in the gymnasium...I'm assuming the FBI would just pull the phone records for that time and see who she was on the phone with. If indeed that was a guy on the phone saying to call me.
I missed news about a phone call in a gym?? Can you explain? Sorry, I guess I skipped something!

Maybe I am off the charts here. Lets start from the beginning when MT was safe.
MT must of agreed at some point to dog sit. When was that?
MT knew DJ was going to be away & BJ & fiancée. When did she learn this?
MT probably told co-workers she would be alone. Who would she of told?

We know her Mom knew
She probably told JT since he dropped her off after work
(could JT of told a friend????) Could friends of decided to scare the crap out of her by attempting a kidnapping & things went south? Guys that age have been known to do worse. Whether she was jogging or returning from the jog. Set it up as a joke?
Co-workers?

MT got hurt & all are terrified & refusing to talk now?

I know when your raised in small town Iowa we looked for something to do for entertainment. Ours was never hurtful to anyone ever. Just saying.......

While I don't think she's being held captive, Ariel Castro held several women for 10 years, so it isn't impossible.

Yes, and LE had no clue. Also no clue where Elizabeth was, Jaycee, Abigail , Ohio women, etc...when they have known who had taken someone, they have issued the suspect’s name at once, i.e Elizabeth in TN, Hannah Anderson in CA, etc...not wait around hoping for the best outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaraJune2288