GUILTY FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odds are against Nikolas Cruz insanity defense

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The evidence against the Parkland school shooter is so overwhelming that the criminal case against him is no legal whodunit.

He confessed for hours on video, most of which was made public this week. Security cameras inside the school recorded him committing the carnage. And his defense team has consistently said that he wants to plead guilty and spend the rest of his life in prison, with no chance of parole, if prosecutors will take the death penalty off the table.

Broward state prosecutors have rejected that plea offer and are seeking the death penalty, making a lengthy trial all but inevitable.

Forced to go to trial against mounds of evidence, hundreds of witnesses and with a self-confessed mass murderer client in a case that inspires revulsion, South Florida attorneys say there's only one possible defense - insanity.

But don't expect it to work, they said...."

Odds are against Nikolas Cruz insanity defense
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just awful

hope a mental health advocacy group sees this -

I greatly snipped the above, but only because of space. Excellent CARIIS! Every word, excellent!

I cried when I saw the first tapes. I cried reading the transcript. As I type this, I'm awaiting a call or text from my sister or her husband. Severe mental health issues, and she was in the ER the last I heard from her. I'm sure she was admitted. My sister has people to help guide her. Even through sleepless nights, through anger outbursts, through extreme fatigue...she's loved, knows she's loved, and has support. This past week alone, she's been to her therapist, her psychiatrist, I've stayed up a few nights just talking and keeping her grounded, and her wonderful husband who may not understand but is always supportive. Nikolas didn't have that.

There is NO WAY he was faking. This guy was suffering from an illness. If he had cancer, or a broken leg, people would be up in arms about him not getting treatment. But because it's a mental illness, he's demonized, and part of the throw away society. It sickens me beyond belief. This is a human being with an illness! He deserved and deserves treatment! I don't know that he'll be safe for society now that this has happened. But neither does anyone else. People shouldn't have to end up in prison to receive mental treatment. As a society, we don't put people in prison because they have AIDS, or Lou Gehrig's disease!

We need mental treatment and NOW! There are people suffering and we're ignoring them. Disgusted.

I only saw a small snippet on one of those news recap shows. My first thought was that this is one time the investigators shouldn't be doing the interview. It's the equivalent to the fbi handcuffing and interrogating a toddler about why they threw a toy at another child. Yeah, the goal might be to get to the bottom of it, but that is not the person that has the right approach or questions to get there. (And no, I'm not comparing him to a toddler. I was using an example of 2 things that aren't on the same level of communication ). No matter how strong you get, the wavelengths are not congruent.

I will watch the interview. I pretty much figured it would look this way. I am glad that people who don't normally get to see into mental health get a glimpse of it. It is real, yet indescribable to try to explain to others. I have so much empathy for everyone involved. My hope is that showing the REAL reason behind things like this will get some resources for mental health. It's only getting worse. Mental health has been left unattended for entirely too long, so it's only been worsening. We better act quickly. The lives of many people are literally at stake.

I greatly snipped the above, but only because of space. Excellent CARIIS! Every word, excellent!

I cried when I saw the first tapes. I cried reading the transcript. As I type this, I'm awaiting a call or text from my sister or her husband. Severe mental health issues, and she was in the ER the last I heard from her. I'm sure she was admitted. My sister has people to help guide her. Even through sleepless nights, through anger outbursts, through extreme fatigue...she's loved, knows she's loved, and has support. This past week alone, she's been to her therapist, her psychiatrist, I've stayed up a few nights just talking and keeping her grounded, and her wonderful husband who may not understand but is always supportive. Nikolas didn't have that.

There is NO WAY he was faking. This guy was suffering from an illness. If he had cancer, or a broken leg, people would be up in arms about him not getting treatment. But because it's a mental illness, he's demonized, and part of the throw away society. It sickens me beyond belief. This is a human being with an illness! He deserved and deserves treatment! I don't know that he'll be safe for society now that this has happened. But neither does anyone else. People shouldn't have to end up in prison to receive mental treatment. As a society, we don't put people in prison because they have AIDS, or Lou Gehrig's disease!

We need mental treatment and NOW! There are people suffering and we're ignoring them. Disgusted.

Well said 2hope4. You have a current raw example to speak from. How can anyone navigate through it without love and support?! Going to prison to receive *mental* treatment is a joke! Think about how much trauma is added before any in prison treatment begins...whatever that even looks like...

If they want to put them behind any type of bars, make it a real mental health Center where real mental health experts, loving volunteers, and family/friends can help in any way possible. Security measures and levels are still needed & expected but imagine the differences that can be made in a constructive environment. I think people who want to help are more prone to show up there than they will in a prison. Cycles of volunteers can help burnout.

You can’t get well in the same environment you got sick in.

As I type this, I'm awaiting a call or text from my sister or her husband. Severe mental health issues, and she was in the ER the last I heard from her. I'm sure she was admitted. My sister has people to help guide her. Even through sleepless nights, through anger outbursts, through extreme fatigue...she's loved, knows she's loved, and has support. This past week alone, she's been to her therapist, her psychiatrist, I've stayed up a few nights just talking and keeping her grounded, and her wonderful husband who may not understand but is always supportive.

hug.gif

This 14-year-old inventor designed a bulletproof wall to protect students during school shootings (with video clip)

"Audrey Larson is a 14-year-old inventor.

For past competitions, she's created glow-in-the-dark pajamas and a device to pet your dog. But this year, after hearing about the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, she felt compelled to focus on a more serious issue.

"It's really scary to just think about, and that's kind of what sparked that idea," Larson said. "Some of my friends were having anxiety about being at school and I don't think that's fair to any kid."

Larson was looking for an idea to enter into competition, and discussions around school shootings among her peers led her to what she says is her own solution to the problem. She invented a foldable bulletproof wall model that can be used to protect students like her in the event of a school shooting...."

'Fed up' with school shootings, this 14-year-old designed a folding bulletproof wall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading the transcript and watching several interrogation videos, I am impressed by the police officer doing the interviewing. I think he did a very good job getting Nikolas to talk. I feel sorry for Nikolas, and I really hope they can come to a plea deal. I don't like the idea of killing him, but I don't think he should ever be out in public again.

Nikolas Cruz back in court as judge berates newspaper's attorney (with clip)
Judge Elizabeth Scherer considers contempt case against newspaper

August 15, 2018

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz was back in court Wednesday afternoon as a Broward County judge berated an attorney for a South Florida newspaper.

Broward County Judge Elizabeth Scherer scolded the attorney for the SunSentinel after the newspaper published details about Cruz's educational background that were supposed to be redacted to protect his privacy....

Scherer said she would consider the school board's request that the paper be held in contempt of court....

Cruz's brother, Zachary Cruz, was also in the courtroom during the hearing, as were attorneys for the school board...."

Nikolas Cruz back in court as judge berates newspaper's attorney
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reporters Committee and 30 media organizations: Court should not hold Sun-Sentinel and its reporters in contempt for publishing legally obtained information

August 14, 2018

"On Tuesday, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and 30 media organizations urged a circuit court in Florida to dismiss a petition by the School Board of Broward County to hold The Sun-Sentinel and two of its reporters in contempt for publishing an article containing information from a report that the school board had released to the public.

The report, commissioned by the Broward County public school system, detailed the school system's interactions with student Nikolas Cruz, who killed 17 people in a Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Sections of the report that a judge had ordered the school board to redact before the document was released publicly remained viewable in the version that the school board uploaded to its public website, allowing the Sun-Sentinel’s reporters — and any member of the public — to access the full report.

The unredacted report revealed two instances in which the school system had failed to comply with federal and state laws governing students with disabilities — information that the school board alleges the newspaper knew a court had directed remain private, but still published in violation of court orders.

In its friend-of-the-court brief, the Reporters Committee argues that the Sun-Sentinel and its reporters should not be held in contempt for publishing information that it obtained legally and that the school board released in a format that allowed anyone to access the portions intended to be redacted. ..."

Reporters Committee and 30 media organizations: Court should not hold Sun-Sentinel and its reporters in contempt for publishing legally obtained information | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

The brief:

https://www.rcfp.org/sites/default/files/2018-08-14-Sun-Sentinel-Contempt.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading the transcript and watching several interrogation videos, I am impressed by the police officer doing the interviewing. I think he did a very good job getting Nikolas to talk. I feel sorry for Nikolas, and I really hope they can come to a plea deal. I don't like the idea of killing him, but I don't think he should ever be out in public again.

I am always amazed at how the media makes these cases like a question mark

the least he will get is life

has there ever been a mass shooter that was freed?

It is imo a given and a waste of our money to carry on

take the plea be done quit wasting millions we dont have

it is silly he is on tape murdering people

do i feel for the guy

i do

he is sick

but our laws need to change in light of CCTV

think of the dockets that could be cleared if we use our eyes and cctv

I am always amazed at how the media makes these cases like a question mark

the least he will get is life

has there ever been a mass shooter that was freed?

It is imo a given and a waste of our money to carry on

take the plea be done quit wasting millions we dont have

it is silly he is on tape murdering people

do i feel for the guy

i do

he is sick

but our laws need to change in light of CCTV

think of the dockets that could be cleared if we use our eyes and cctv
Actually, yes mass shooters do get freed even when their victims are under 9 years old. Here is one example
https://nypost.com/2018/03/30/1984-palm-sunday-massacre-killer-quietly-freed-from-prison/

Released? It depends on what they were convicted of:

Palm Sunday massacre (homicide)

"The Palm Sunday massacre was a 1984 mass-murder in Brooklyn, New York, that resulted in the deaths of ten people: three women, a teenage girl, and six children. There was one survivor, an infant girl.."

Palm Sunday massacre (homicide) - Wikipedia
---

March 31, 2018

"Palm Sunday Massacre" killer Christopher Thomas freed after 34 years in prison

"...The now 68-year-old Thomas was convicted of manslaughter in 1985. Some jurors said they convicted him of manslaughter, not murder, because Thomas' heavy cocaine use was a factor in the crimes.

State law capped Thomas' sentence at 50 years. Prison officials said that with time off for good behavior, he was eligible for release after serving two-thirds of that time...."

"Palm Sunday Massacre" killer Christopher Thomas freed after 34 years in prison - CBS News
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida court clears way to release Parkland school shooting video

August 22nd 2018

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The Florida Supreme Court has cleared the way for the release of exterior surveillance video showing law enforcement's response to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.

The court on Wednesday declined to review a lower court's decision to release the video from the Feb. 14 shooting that killed 17 people. No timetable for that release has been set...."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 22nd 2018

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The Florida Supreme Court has cleared the way for the release of exterior surveillance video showing law enforcement's response to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.

The court on Wednesday declined to review a lower court's decision to release the video from the Feb. 14 shooting that killed 17 people. No timetable for that release has been set...."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they released it already isnt it the one where they are riding around on a golf cart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam