GUILTY KS - 5 yr old murdered, 1 yr old injured, Lawrence, 3 Aug 2018

I can tell you that several of the people on the witness list are corrections officers at the jail, which leads me to believe she confessed which is why they brought charges so swiftly.

This woman is not from the area, her address is Columbia MO which is about 3 hours east of Lawrence, and the newspaper articles say she had no known ties to the area.

I haven’t seen anything referencing CPS involvement with the family.

I live in the area - once the crime scene tape is down (if it isn’t already), I’ll drive to the area she went into the river and record it so you can have some perspective of where it happened.
Tristan I looked at the list of names to see if any looked familiar to me and they didn't. I am glad you knew who some were. I live in the area also and know that area is not where a normal car should be. I know you can access it off of 6th street, but I have never been back to the park back there. I presume she came into the water off of the south side or the west side and not from the levee. Be careful driving in that area you might be better off walking but you know best.

A mental evaluation is the next step for a woman charged with killing one of her children and trying to kill another by driving them into the Kansas River, her attorney said.

Scharron R. Dingledine, 26, of Columbia, Mo., appeared briefly Tuesday morning for her second hearing in Douglas County District Court, via video from the jail. Her newly appointed attorney, Carol Cline, stood in person before Judge Peggy Kittel.

snipped

District Attorney Charles Branson didn’t object, and the judge scheduled Dingledine’s next
hearing for Aug. 28, in order to allow time for an evaluation to be completed.

Mental evaluation is next step for woman accused of driving 2 children into Kansas River, killing 1

Dingledine was admitted to a psychiatric institution for 24 hours after a domestic violence dispute with her current boyfriend — the 1-year-old’s father, Bradley said.

A neighbor called police when she heard banging and screaming from Dingledine’s home, the neighbor told Bradley.

After being released from the institution, Dingledine was supposed to meet with an official with the Children’s Division of the Missouri Department of Social Services. That prompted her fear of losing her children, said Bradley, who said he’s spoken at length with Dingledine’s boyfriend about the hours leading up to his daughter’s death.

Dingledine was released on Friday morning, and soon stole her boyfriend’s car and drove west, Bradley said. At some point, she ran out of gas and stole another car.

The 1-year-old boy is fighting to survive in a Lawrence hospital. If he does pull through, Bradley said, he’ll likely “never be the same kid physically or mentally.”

Hours before allegedly killing child, mom left mental institution, stole car, dad says

A little girl who died Friday in the Kansas River, allegedly murdered by her own mother, has been laid to rest.

Private graveside services for Amiyah Renea Bradley, 5, of Columbia, Mo., were held Wednesday in Macon, Mo., according to Amiyah’s obituary from the Greening-Eagan-Hayes Funeral Home in Macon.

Typical of a 5-year-old girl, Amiyah enjoyed riding her bike, coloring and playing with her Barbie dolls, her obituary said. She also loved the movie “Frozen,” and her favorite colors were pink and purple.

Family buries girl, 5, allegedly murdered by her own mother driving into Kansas River

First thing this coming Monday, Scharron Dingledine was supposed to appear before a Missouri judge to explain why she wanted custody of her 1-year-old son.

Instead, she is now in the custody of the Douglas County Jail charged with murder. The toddler is in a Kansas City-area hospital fighting for his life. And Dingledine’s 5-year-old daughter is dead, buried earlier this week by other relatives.

Monday morning’s hearing in Boone County court was ordered by a judge on Aug. 2 — the same afternoon Dingledine applied for a restraining order against the boy’s father, which she did after checking out from a short stay in a mental health facility.

That application was filed almost exactly 24 hours before Dingledine allegedly arrived in Lawrence in a stolen car and drove it into the Kansas River with her children inside, about 1:15 p.m. Aug. 3.

Court documents and other information obtained by the Journal-World give a clearer picture of some of Dingledine’s actions in the days before the 26-year-old Columbia, Mo., woman was pulled from the river near downtown Lawrence and subsequently arrested.

Murder suspect accused of driving children into river had contact with Missouri police, court and mental health facility the day before tragedy in Lawrence

Court documents say a Columbia woman who drove into the Kansas River in Lawrence was trying to take her own life.

snipped

According to court documents, when Lawrence police pulled Dingledine from the river, she repeatedly said something to the effect of “Let me die.”

Woman who drove car into Kansas River was trying to kill herself, court documents say

This sounds more like what I was thinking and then the kids were with her and she was going to take kill them also.

She and the children arrived in Lawrence during the morning hours of Aug. 3, where Dingledine said she drove around the city “feeling depressed and worried about the consequences of her actions” on the previous day.

She said she began thinking about taking her own life.

“Scharron said at one point she drove down to the river and parked the vehicle. She and the kids walked down to the river and put their feet in the river and played,” the affidavit says. “While at the river, Scharron said she thought about the river being a good way to kill herself. They then returned to the vehicle and she drove around the city. Scharron said as she drove, she decided she was going to kill herself and kill the children because she didn’t want anyone else to have them.”

Dingledine told police she then drove back to the river and turned onto Powerhouse Road, driving along to a spot under the bridge.

“Scharron said she debated on whether to drive the car into the river, or walk up to the bridge and jump into the river with her children,” the affidavit says. “Scharron said she decided to drive the vehicle into the river knowing neither child could swim and would likely die. Scharron said both children were seated in the front seat with her unrestrained, when she accelerated into the river.”

Affidavit: Mother told police she drove into river to kill herself and her 2 children ‘because she didn’t want anyone else to have them’

Tuesday, August 28th:
*Prelim Hearing (@ CT) – KS – Amiyah Renae Bradley (5 yr old daughter-died, August 3, 2018; body recovered 8/4/18) & 1 yr old son (injured-remains in hospital) – Scharron Renea Dingledine (26) “mom” arrested (8/4/18) on 1st degree murder with premeditation & attempted 1st degree murder (on 1 yr old). $1M bond cash/Surety.
8/6/18 Update: Formal charges allege Berg intentionally drove the car into river to kill children. Charged (8/6/18) with 1st degree murder with premeditation & attempted 1st degree murder (on 1 yr old). $1M bond cash/surety. Judge appointed attorney, next hearing August 7th. Elijah Lake (1 yr) is still in intensive care (8/6/18).
8/7/18 Update: Defense files Motion for Mental Evaluation, next hearing set for 8/28 for evaluation report to be completed.

With a finding that the defendant is mentally fit to stand trial, a murder case against a woman accused of driving her children into the river in Lawrence will move forward.

“The evaluation did find Ms. Dingledine to be competent,” Judge Peggy Kittel said Tuesday during a brief hearing in Douglas County District Court.

Scharron R. Dingledine, 26, of Columbia, Mo., had a mental evaluation by a screener from Lawrence’s Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center, Kittel said.

Dingledine’s appointed attorney, Carol Cline, said she wasn’t going to challenge the evaluation results, and Dingledine’s next court appearance was scheduled for Oct. 2.

Mother accused of driving kids into Kansas River deemed mentally fit to stand trial for murder

She and the children arrived in Lawrence during the morning hours of Aug. 3, where Dingledine said she drove around the city “feeling depressed and worried about the consequences of her actions” on the previous day.

She said she began thinking about taking her own life.

“Scharron said at one point she drove down to the river and parked the vehicle. She and the kids walked down to the river and put their feet in the river and played,” the affidavit says. “While at the river, Scharron said she thought about the river being a good way to kill herself. They then returned to the vehicle and she drove around the city. Scharron said as she drove, she decided she was going to kill herself and kill the children because she didn’t want anyone else to have them.”

Dingledine told police she then drove back to the river and turned onto Powerhouse Road, driving along to a spot under the bridge.

“Scharron said she debated on whether to drive the car into the river, or walk up to the bridge and jump into the river with her children,” the affidavit says. “Scharron said she decided to drive the vehicle into the river knowing neither child could swim and would likely die. Scharron said both children were seated in the front seat with her unrestrained, when she accelerated into the river.”

Affidavit: Mother told police she drove into river to kill herself and her 2 children ‘because she didn’t want anyone else to have them’
Scharron said as she drove, she decided she was going to kill herself and kill the children because she didn’t want anyone else to have them.”

That says it all for me. There are many cases here where a parent commits despicable acts against their children through abuse, neglect or revenge because no matter how crappy of a parent they are they sure as hell don't want anyone else to have their kids.

IMO that's the self-centered, selfish behavior of a person who must have total control of their offspring no matter the result. I say let her rot in prison - at least she won't be getting pregnant while she's incarcerated. Bah.

Scharron said as she drove, she decided she was going to kill herself and kill the children because she didn’t want anyone else to have them.”

That says it all for me. There are many cases here where a parent commits despicable acts against their children through abuse, neglect or revenge because no matter how crappy of a parent they are they sure as hell don't want anyone else to have their kids.

IMO that's the self-centered, selfish behavior of a person who must have total control of their offspring no matter the result. I say let her rot in prison - at least she won't be getting pregnant while she's incarcerated. Bah.

I bothers me she did this in Kansas and not Missouri. Kansas does not give as harsh of a sentence as Missouri does at least as far as I have seen in cases. jmo

Dear Jewels53,

Thank you for updating us with your posts.

This is so deeply saddening. Perhaps this was preventable, but the mother seemed so determined to carry out this horrific act.

I had hoped that the one-year old would pull through okay but from the sounds of previous posts, he will never be completed recovered from this.

Heartbreaking all around.

My heart goes out to the Dad and other relatives who must be experiencing unfathomable pain.

Tuesday, October 2nd:
*Prelim Hearing (@ CT) – KS – Amiyah Renae Bradley (5 yr old daughter-died, August 3, 2018; body recovered 8/4/18) & 1 yr old son (injured-remains in hospital) – *Scharron Renea Dingledine (26) “mom” arrested (8/4/18) on 1st degree murder with premeditation & attempted 1st degree murder (on 1 yr old). $1M bond cash/Surety.
Elijah Lake (1 yr) is still in intensive care (8/6/18).
8/6/18: Charged. 8/7: Def. motion for mental evaluation. Next hearing 8/28 for evaluation report.
8/28/18 Update: Deemed competent to stand trial, next hearing 10/2.

Well, here's an idea, no one wants her now.. let her rot! People thinking kids are a possession.... ugh!

This woman is from the town where I live in. This article goes into the tale that will leave anybody shaking their head. Something ABSOLUTELY needs to be done about mental health help in America!
JMO

The narrative in the court record tells how Dingledine’s 5-year-old daughter would die in the river, and how police officers rescued the mother against her will. Dingledine’s 1-year-old son was also rescued, but was on life-support in a hospital. He had initially been labeled dead on arrival before hospital staff revived him.

Dingledine drove the children out of Columbia in her boyfriend’s car to Mexico, Mo., where she said she stole the SUV from a residence. They drove to Kansas City where, Dingledine said, she and the children slept in the SUV overnight.

The morning of Aug. 3, she drove them on to Lawrence where, while driving around the city, she began to think that she wanted to kill herself.

After visiting the river, Dingledine said, she drove around the city one more time before returning to try to drown herself and the children.

Read more here: After watching children play, woman decides: She could kill them in the Kansas River

Read more here: After watching children play, woman decides: She could kill them in the Kansas River

As it turns out this tragedy began here in Columbia, where they are from. The little girl's Dad is here as well. He and Scharron have not been together for a long time. Pretty much the things I have learned cannot be shared here due to TOS rules. I do not want to give the impression of victim shaming. I will say though that the Lawrence KS Police did not notify the Father. He learned of his little girl's death from a friend on FB.

JMO

This is from the FB posting of a fundraiser held this last weekend. I hope it's OK to post as it is public posting but has update on Elijah's condition.

Details

Eli suffered a near fatal drowning on Aug 3, 2018. After several weeks in the hospital in critical condition he will be traveling to New Orleans, LA for further more advanced treatment Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBOT)by Dr. Harch only completed in New Orleans. Please help us to raise money for the expenses Kaleb will endure while in NO, LA. such as the treatment itself, cost of travel, room and board during the 2 month initial treatment time. All donations welcome, all and any items for silent auction is welcome. Games outside to also help with raising funds for the special cause. Pray for complete healing for Elijah. Thank you and i hope you can come and help this family thru this extremely hard time. Eli is the grandson of Carrie Sue and Tim Lake, and great grandson of Pat and Howard Johnson

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back