Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion a “setup” or the type of “frame WC” hypotheses discussed many times before is really a stretch, whether you are talking about the motivation factor (as here), or as a disposal strategy ( sorry to use that word).

As a motivator that is very unlikely (you would already need to know the end game and anticipate the community/LE reaction.)

There are other more likely motivators:

• Hookup + Awkward situation escalated
  • Opportunity + Attraction
  • Power + Attraction
  • Opportunity + Power
  • Drunk/drugged perp + Opportunity
  • Etc.
The more complicated you make the scenario for someone so open with friends and SM and involved in the community, the less likely in my mind.
I absolutely agree with you. Setup style scenarios do occur, but they are comparatively rare in regards to most other scenarios. Most crimes like this, don’t involve that type of planning, and the fear that the perp feels after committing the crime, does not generally lend itself to an organized effort to mislead. The more outlandish the theory, the further you stray from facts, and thus, the likely reality.

On the findingmollie.iowa.gov site it leads off with this statement:
"last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time"

Maybe I'm reading more into that statement than I should, but when they say no "communications with Mollie", is it also implied no "communications from Mollie" as well? Communications can take various forms imo, meaning the snapchat wasn't post jog, no homework being done on laptop, no connecting to house wifi, etc since the last credible sighting of her jogging?
I don’t think you’re stretching there, they could absolutely mean “no communication at all.”

The one reAson I don’t believe she made it back home is her armband for phone is missing. Any runners out there know those things are like a bra on a 100 degree day. You rip them off as soon as you hit the door .

So true. To answer your question. With four young, social friends living in the house. One owning a construction company. Wedding plans and showers. Families close by.
Hundreds 'could have' asked that question.

I disagree Cardinal. Most young people probably wouldn't care, so I don't necessarily think it would be hundreds. Each one asked perhaps 5 times, so I'd hazard a guess at maybe 20 total? If I were LE though, I would certainly be interested in asking the question and knowing who may have asked.

If he knew she was alone overnight...why take her elsewhere? Plenty of women have been found murdered in their homes when alone...Alison Freeman (sp ?) not too long ago. It took over a year to get a DNA match of a complete stranger when he committed another crime or it came up as a match in system.

I remember when Holly first went missing...a fair number of people had the theory that some “mountain man” (no offense) wanted a wife so he came and took her to live in the woods with him...this carried on for a while. Anyway...we all know the horrible truth of her murder. I understand the need to seek alternatives where there could be a “happy ending”...though even if she is alive, thinking what could be happening to her is almost as bad as the worst possible outcome, to me.

Jmo

Could have been somebody that knew the dogs and owners routine. A set up.

But if the knew the routine that well why even enter the house and run the risk of leaving evidence? If the guy knew they put the dogs in the basement when they left he would have had a handle on her comings and goings as well, so he would more likely have waited until she left the house to go for a run or go get the car.

It's possible that they're holding off in the hope that she's still alive and that he will eventually lead her to them; or, conversely, out of fear that if they bring him in he'll clam up and she'll starve to death. And if that's the case, much of what they've been doing - the multiple WC interviews, etc. - may be part of a ruse to make the dude comfortable that he's getting away with it.

It would be utterly untenable for law enforcement to leave a captured victim at the mercy of her known abductor instead of rescuing her and taking the perpetrator into custody. I don't believe they know who did this or where Mollie is.

How about if she was taken as she arrived home after her run. Never making it into the house. They could have been waiting for her return, so nothing took place inside the house.

That scenario would imply someone(s) in a mode of transportation sitting in wait at or near to the house. There also would be the issue of how to get MT to the mode of transportation without raising suspicion.

The simplest assumption: MT was abducted while in-progress of walking/jogging/running on a street. Note this could have occurred just outside or near to the house, or some distance from the house.

But if the knew the routine that well why even enter the house and run the risk of leaving evidence? If the guy knew they put the dogs in the basement when they left he would have had a handle on her comings and goings as well, so he would more likely have waited until she left the house to go for a run or go get the car.
Maybe nobody entered the house. We have no idea who, what or when to be honest. So it's all could be's.

I would ask a mod just to be safe.
I'm not buying that she was taken from the home for the simple matter that her phone was gone. Why would you take someone from their house...and not make them leave their phone at said location. Yeah I can see the Fitbit staying on her arm...but a perp would know to not let the phone leave the house unless she had it hidden. Not everyone knows what a fitbit is but they know a phone when they see one.
Only reason I can think of is to try to use cell to throw investigators off track. Plant evidence that points in another direction.

It would be utterly untenable for law enforcement to leave a captured victim at the mercy of her known abductor instead of rescuing her and taking the perpetrator into custody. I don't believe they know who did this or where Mollie is.
I agree. As to the scenario of them being afraid to arrest someone because they don’t know where she is and she may “starve,” history doesn’t lend that much credence. If you have enough to arrest someone, then you have enough leverage for the perpetrator to tell you where the victim is. This type of thing has played out in ransom scenarios, where the victim has been buried alive (super rare). If they know who did it, and have reason to believe Mollie is still alive, police would have moved in. Preservation of life is paramount in LE.

It's possible, or she was tired and really didn't want to share the bed with the two large dogs that night since she had to be up early and needed to get some sleep.

I think it would be less time-consuming to let the dogs out for their evening run than to clean up after them in the morning.

I disagree Cardinal. Most young people probably wouldn't care, so I don't necessarily think it would be hundreds. Each one asked perhaps 5 times, so I'd hazard a guess at maybe 20 total? If I were LE though, I would certainly be interested in asking the question and knowing who may have asked.
I think that circle could widen substantially if somebody had evil on their minds. Family, coworkers, college pals, heck even somebody locally knocking on the door and asking is....home?

Assuming they were loose on the main floor of the house, why not just leave them there? I can't see some dirtbag saying "Okay, you're coming with me, but first I want you to put those dogs in the basement so they don't doo-doo on the carpet."
The dogs being put away would be for the purpose of eliminating distraction, or for the perps own safety, not out of concern for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo