Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be real here people. LE really hasn’t asked for any help solving this. They are seeking witnesses for prosecution purposes. What happened is known. The Who is known. They are seeking the how, when, and maybe the why.

Omg fat fingers editing
Huh? I’m confused, please don’t make me say again then why do they want to know who got a haircut recently hahaa, (Lol, jk this happened last night, this is a joke, “hair cut” is a metaphor, but imo I think that they are asking for help. I would think if they knew who they wouldn’t asking the public who might have changed their behaviors, appearance, etc etc lately? I do understand that perhaps someone can come forward as a witness to further shed light on a current POI and aid for the prosecution, etc ...

Why do you think they know who did it? Who do you think they think did it? (Is against TOS then say against TOS or actually better yet don’t reply hahaha. But I’m serious, I want to know your thoughts. Your thoughts intrigue me. Because unless it’s WC, then publicly imo they haven’t indicated a POi. Now I haaaave seen where LE plays it off twice where both times had them speak at the PC. We know about the case here on WS (Lori?), but I just saw one on TV where the husband was in the background and at the PC they surprised him and said “and now the husband would like to say a few words..”.. you should have seen the look on his face! Then LE confronted him publicly!! It was wild!)

Eta but the thought has occurred to me as well, and you could be right J. They could be strictly soliciting witnesses for this purpose of prosecution, etc! But they were quite general meaning...gah maybe it’s a ruse to pretend they’re seeking a general profile. But I dont think the general public knows what a general profile is. I mean I isolated that it, just as you said, from being around a while, I’ve followed thousands of others cases and probably hundreds of PCs. But again to me it sounds just what they said when they kneeeeeewwwww Jessica R had already likely been killed by a very violent man (found her backpack with her glasses and her urine soaked clothes. Same goes with the Delphi murders, they already knew these precious girls had been murdered. So to me it seems to me they are really still looking for a violent killer.

I appreciaye the discussion and if the behavior change profile was released as a type of ruse for seeking witness prosecution I will be surprised and will certainly notate this in the books as far as profile behavior change information requests being 2/3 when comparing to JR and A/L as far as having a known suspect in mind.

Last edited:
I think that's a natural reaction too. I think there are many completely reasonable natural reactions that will be guided by your personal past experience, your knowledge, and your physical (and mental) reaction speeds.

The whole "she would have fought" thing to me just reminds me a little of the rhetoric around cancer. I don't like the battle euphemisms there either. When you say someone "lost the battle with cancer" makes it seem like if the person just tried harder, they could have won. Or "won their battle" makes it seem like the thousands of people who die from these awful diseases just didn't try hard enough to fight and live. I think at base we're never comfortable when we're not in control of a situation and no one wants to admit we're powerless over a disease (or an attack).

I'm being really depressing tonight, I need Otto to come tell me to get back on track.

Yes, this. I read once where someone said about all the battle references to illness, "If survivors are winners then what do we call people who die?"

Scrolling and rolling a lot today. Anyhoo, re the angle of a predator who attends UIowa? I assume there's a way LE has investigated that possibility; student at UIowa lives in or near Brooklyn home on summer break? Though I know, having graduated from Iowa, that would be a LOT of addresses to comb through. But still..... Not sure about the legalities, privacy issues with student info. I know they're tight for good reason. When I taught there, I wasn't even allowed to pass around a group list for study buddies that people could choose to sign up on or not.

It's MOO that LE is considering many elements related to her intended mode of transportation to work on the 19th, and that any clues they have gathered in this area are some of the information they are witholding from the public for investigative purposes.
Getting to know Mollie... I can't help but think she would make arrangements the night before. So I can't help but think that there are people she phoned or texted to line this up, and in doing so she easily could have mentioned why she needed a ride and her location. Maybe someone said they would get back to her, and then went on to mention to someone else, that Mollie needed a ride. Maybe she even she replied along the lines of gratitude and apologies in advance, in case she didn't answer because she'd be on a 45 minute run. And if there were no calls or texts to coworkers or the likes to catch a ride, I would have to assume she planned to get in touch with her family about a ride. And if for some reason i have to rule out that she intended to call or text Jake about the car, then i have to last assume it was her intention to go there that night or at least jog over in the morning.
This all seems important.

Last edited:
I don't think that the perp would have gone to the car wash to clean out their car. In a town that small, I think it would look rather obvious. Plus, wouldn't there be some sort of evidence in the trash, etc? Likely, they cleaned their car at their home and this is not the first time they have done so...

I think pouring over each item that is publicly known or speculated on is not going to find Mollie. It could have been a split second spontaneous change of plans that had a wrong ending. Think of your average day. How many times do you get a text, or a call from a friend, or stop at the store, or forget something at home and you change course abruptly. You probably can't even think of all of the times because it's just a regular day. Do you tell everyone every single place you are going? Things did not go as planned, and that is the only thing we know for sure 100%. I hope I wake tomorrow and find the "Found safe" or "recovered" tag in front of her name. I really do.

JMO but nothing LE has said or done leads me to think they have a suspect. Just the opposite in fact. The ”getting to know” Mollie is standard, the things they (finally) asked people to think about regarding people changing habits, appearance, vehicles, etc, and the map of “hot spots” which imo are probably pings...all standard. I am not even sure they know if foul play occurred yet, beyond an assumption. I am amazed at so many believing an arrest is pending and/or suspect identified. They would not need help with any of the above if they did have a suspect. And this LE is not in the habit of saying much at all, which even more points out to me that they need help with any little thing that could point them to a suspect. No way, imo, they want to deal with a wonky website full of “my neighbor is growing a beard” tips...unless they were desperate and they need input. Jmo jmo jmo

No way ... Tarps and moving blankets would have been purchased at Harbor Freight ages ago... Even if digging a grave in the middle of a corn field would be easy... Soft soil, dig deep enough and it won't be tilled next season...

People continue to underestimate the depravity of mankind ...
I'm thinking more like a credit card purchase they want to match up with a vehicle on film... or something along those lines

I have been following this from the first thread and have only seen a few far fetched stories. That averages about one every 5 threads or so. The majority of posters seem genually interested in trying to solve this case. I might add I have seen some very intelligent posts and very reasonable explanations for Mollies disappearance. Don't know what I did wrong but this post is in response to the person who said the thread was filled with unrealistic stories. Cant find it now.

I thought I was giving "emergency contact" names to my employers so they would have someone to contact if I got hurt at work or keeled over at work. I didn't think it was someone they would contact if I didn't show up to work.
Depends on the policies of your employer so if you are interested it is worth asking. Many camps hire younger people (14-16 yrs olds) who are minors to assist older counselors so its not unusual for camps to take attendance quite seriously both for staff and campers due to liability and security issues.

Be real here people. LE really hasn’t asked for any help solving this. They are seeking witnesses for prosecution purposes. What happened is known. The Who is known. They are seeking the how, when, and maybe the why.
Sorry but this assumes quite a bit of knowledge that to date LE has shown no evidence that it has in its possession. How reliable is an interview 3 weeks after the fact when so far in this case even the people that thought they saw MT running are giving accounts that don't seem to add up?

"My son, Scott, he gave me a call about 5:15 p.m. saying, 'Mom, did you know Mollie didn't go to work?' At which point I said, 'I will be right home," Calderwood said.

After 26 threads of mostly productive discussion my sense is we have a few viable theories but I think its safe to say we honestly have many more questions than answers at this point nearly 1 month after the disappearance. However due to absence of substantive new information from LE to confirm any theories its impossible at this point to assess the likihood of any of these theories IMO. In the last 3 threads it seems like we are increasingly spinning our wheels around the same information we have now had for weeks. We have all been working so hard to put together a timeline of events around the disappearance of MT but we still can't figure out what her jogging route was and whether she ever made it back to BF house. Eyewitness reports have been less than useful in our efforts to put it mildly.

I decided to go back to the beginning to figure out the early hours and days of the local LE effort to find MT and in many respects its more than a bit confusing to say nothing of being quite upsetting. It is quite disheartening to learn of the lag time in this case being reported to local LE and the slow response from local LE being what it was and the fact that DCI seemed to be brought in not be local LE but friend of the family. I am not saying any of this with a sense of blame but rather just putting the timeline out there to make it clear that if MT was taken from Brooklyn via car or truck when LE now says that she disappeared that the perp would have had at least a 12 hr jump on LE. I am still baffled about the extent of FBI involvement in this case but I am not at all certain that even the FBI resources can overcome the sizable time and information gaps that sadly seem to be present in this case from its inception.

In trying to understand why we haven't advanced much from where we started I went back to when and how the family figured out MT was missing and what the early local LE response was to locate MT. I keep reading and re-reading about how the family and eventually LE figured out MT was missing and have to admit I'm a bit baffled. Early hours in any case are crucial and the more I tried to figure out what had happened in the early hours of this case the more confused I became. What is so disheartening about the first few days of the case is that it is during this period when the digital devices might still have been active and of great use to investigators and CCTV/Video would have been most available and accessible. As time went on in the early search it became clear that friends of MT were very concerned and that searches were initiated before local LE even seemed to have a plan to search. Locals wanted to help and turned up to do so in large numbers which was so encouraging. There was also a report of members of the family trying to access fitbit data to find MT and were told by local LE to stop. Local LE did initiate some searches using local citizens but these were called off and people were sent home. Why?

We talked endlessly about this early period of the disappearance in earlier threads but I still don't understand how a non-family member appeared to be the typical work 'emergency contact' to get the call that MT didn't show up for work at 8 am and that this message somehow filtered through the various people in the family to eventually get to Mom at 5:15 pm? Given the small staff of the camp and the fact that they were going on an outing where staff/camper ratios were important, I would have thought that they would have kept calling and calling to figure out where MT was that day especially as she didn't call in sick? Knowing what we know now MT might have already been missing for 12 hrs before the 8 am work start time was missed. Even with the manpower and resources of the FBI how is it possible to overcome a sizable information gap during such a crucial stage of the case?

I don't understand why MT Mom wasn't the designated emergency contact to get the call and why the employer didn't contact her directly much earlier in the day? At any camp I worked at while MT's age attendance of staff and campers was a very big deal and phone calls would be made immediately to figure out why people were not present and accounted for as security of camers and staff was important. The idea that almost an entire working day goes by before a person such as the Mom with the legal authority and ability to file a missing persons report on behalf of her daughter is something that doesn't make sense to me at all. By all accounts the camp called the BF to ask about MT. Did BF call Mom if he for some reason was contacted by camp? The BF had the disadvantage of being out of area due to work so maybe work left him a voicemail and he wasn't able to access it until mid-day or later? Other brother was supposedly at the movies with a cousin later in the afternoon when they received multiple texts/contacts via SM that MT wasn't at work. Did they call Mom at any point? Why did she just find out at 5:15-5:30 pm? Where did the family think that MT could possibly be if she wasn't at work? In everything I've read I didn't get the sense of much urgency on the issue of MT location until over 8 hrs after she was reported to not have shown up at work. Why? Local LE by all accounts didn't start thinking about what to do until the following day after local citizens had already begun to search. Why?

I am posting this because I believe that even with the vast resources of the FBI that very sadly too much time was lost at the front end of the investigation to ever find out what happened or to gather the necessary evidence and eyewitness accounts needed to locate MT or make a conviction. The nearly 2" of rain in the area also probably ruined the possibility of obtaining much forensic evidence outside if this was where she went missing. Early on I was very optimistic that the digital footprint would be large enough to locate MT. It seems this was not at all the case. I am also not completely convinced that people in Brooklyn will remember much 3 weeks after the fact and will come forward with solid recollections for the FBI to work with (Question the red dots on the map process and asking people to remember what they saw 3 weeks after the fact?). I have great respect for the LE professionals that have been working this case and I hope that they are able to find MT with the information that is available. But when I look at the timing of their involvement and what information seemed to be available to the DCI and FBI when they entered the case on their back feet I am sadly not at all optimistic we will see a break in this case anytime soon. I wish I shared the optimism of MT Dad and I do hope he has some information that we don't have because based on what we have I cannot share his optimism and this makes me extremely sad.

What time was she reported missing? I thought it was in the morning of the 19th when it was determined that she was not at work. Was it really after 5pm on the 19th that the Sheriff's office was called? If so, by then almost 24 hours were wasted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member