Canada - Bruce McArthur- Pleads Guilty - murders of 8 men, Toronto, 2010-2017 #2

rbbm
Remains of Majeed Kayhan found at home linked to Bruce McArthur - CityNews Toronto
"Isginga said that “as of right now” there is nothing to indicate that there are more than the eight victims previously identified.

However, police are still looking at cold cases.

“I don’t know if it stops at eight, but I hope it stops at eight,” Idsinga said.

So far police have followed up with the hundreds of and hundreds of leads provided by the public.

Idsinga said police are still getting tips internationally and that “we still have a lot of work to do.”

Bruce McArthur makes brief court appearance via video

July 23, 2018

"Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur made a brief video court appearance Monday, days after Toronto police announced finding the remains of Majeed Kayhan.

Crown attorney Mike Cantlon asked that the 66-year-old return to court, via video, on Sept. 26, a day after a judicial pre-trial...."

Bruce McArthur makes brief court appearance via video | The Star
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking there is video/photo evidence of the 8 victims/murders and nothing else was found digital wise to support theory of additional murders.

When the families and friends were asking over and over for years if police suspected a serial killer, police said over and over: no. When they arrested BM, they backpeddled and announced they knew there was a serial killer WHILE they were making public denials. Fast forward to the first press conferences ... over and over Idsinga stated they are confident there are MANY MORE victims beside the 8. So, I’m not buying these latest announcements that they don’t expect to find more victims. The police at the Toronto sex crimes division have asked our family too many very specific questions that we can only conclude relate to photos they have in their possession that resemble our brother. They would have been able to ask friends and relatives of the known victims in order to eliminate those 8 victims BEFORE they asked us. No way are there only 8 victims.

What makes a serial killer?

"Canadian police have announced the discovery of more human remains on a property frequented by Bruce McArthur, an alleged serial killer believed to have murdered at least eight men in Toronto’s gay community...

The Guardian spoke with Peter Vronsky, a historian and journalist based in Toronto and the author of several books studying the history and psychopathology of serial killers. His latest, , will be released 14 August in the US and Canada and 16 August in the UK.

The book explores how our understandings of serial killers – called “monsters” before the advent of modern psychology – have changed over time, and considers answers to a difficult question: what, exactly, “makes” a serial killer?...

My basic argument is that it is intrinsic to the human survival mechanism that we have this capacity to repeatedly kill. Killers are anachronisms whose primal instincts are not being moderated by the more intellectual parts of our brain.

Perhaps it’s not that serial killers are made, but that the majority of us are unmade, by good parenting and socialization. What remains behind is these un-fully-socialized beings with this capacity to attack and kill. And often that capacity is grafted onto a sexual impulse – aggression sexualized at puberty.

Many serial killers are survivors of early childhood trauma of some kind – physical or sexual abuse, family dysfunction, emotionally distant or absent parents. Trauma is the single recurring theme in the biographies of most killers.

Are there any cases of serial killers who had well-adjusted childhoods?...

If killers are the products of childhood trauma, or underdeveloped brains, are they still “responsible” for their actions?

It’s true that almost all serial killers suffered childhood trauma. But here’s the problem: if 100 kids grow up in an abusive foster home, and one turns out to be a serial killer – what about the other 99? They grew up to be, well, maybe not all well-adjusted citizens, but certainly not serial killers. What is the missing X factor?

My sense is responsibility falls on the offender here. Serial killers choose to act on their compulsions....

What do you make of Bruce McArthur, the alleged Toronto gay village killer arrested earlier this year? ..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If killers are the products of childhood trauma, or underdeveloped brains, are they still “responsible” for their actions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although he was born out of wedlock and raised by his grandparents, Ted Bundy is said to have been raised in a well-adjusted, working class family. I don't think there was evidence of childhood trauma. As to responsibility, there is mounting evidence of a neurological cause of psychopathy - are psychopathic killers responsible? In one sense, it's irrelevant IMO as society still needs to incarcerate to protect ourselves (and if you rule out the death penalty.)

"Canadian police have announced the discovery of more human remains on a property frequented by Bruce McArthur, an alleged serial killer believed to have murdered at least eight men in Toronto’s gay community...

The Guardian spoke with Peter Vronsky, a historian and journalist based in Toronto and the author of several books studying the history and psychopathology of serial killers. His latest, , will be released 14 August in the US and Canada and 16 August in the UK.

The book explores how our understandings of serial killers – called “monsters” before the advent of modern psychology – have changed over time, and considers answers to a difficult question: what, exactly, “makes” a serial killer?...

My basic argument is that it is intrinsic to the human survival mechanism that we have this capacity to repeatedly kill. Killers are anachronisms whose primal instincts are not being moderated by the more intellectual parts of our brain.

Perhaps it’s not that serial killers are made, but that the majority of us are unmade, by good parenting and socialization. What remains behind is these un-fully-socialized beings with this capacity to attack and kill. And often that capacity is grafted onto a sexual impulse – aggression sexualized at puberty.

Many serial killers are survivors of early childhood trauma of some kind – physical or sexual abuse, family dysfunction, emotionally distant or absent parents. Trauma is the single recurring theme in the biographies of most killers.

It’s true that almost all serial killers suffered childhood trauma. But here’s the problem: if 100 kids grow up in an abusive foster home, and one turns out to be a serial killer – what about the other 99? They grew up to be, well, maybe not all well-adjusted citizens, but certainly not serial killers. What is the missing X factor?

My sense is responsibility falls on the offender here. Serial killers choose to act on their compulsions....

What do you make of Bruce McArthur, the alleged Toronto gay village killer arrested earlier this year? ..."

^^^
AFAIK, Bruce McArthur didn't have any childhood trauma either.
His family took in children to help them 'settle down' and were considered to be very good people.

Interesting article concerning Toronto killer of trans women, Marcello Palma, also references BM.
The day I met a serial killer
August 10, 2018
"The day I met a serial killer, I was 21 years old, an art student living in Halifax. It was late on the afternoon of Saturday, June 1, 1996. I know that date for certain because he was arrested a few hours after I met him and charged with three counts of first-degree murder."

" I call him a serial killer because, by the time I met him, 12 days after the murders, he’d acquired a new gun and a knife and several cartridges of ammunition. I call him a serial killer because I’ve always believed that when he walked up to my friend Trina and me on the street in Halifax that day, he was looking for more victims. We, unwittingly, told him exactly where to find them".

"Trina and I had been hanging my graduation show at the student gallery at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, near the waterfront on Granville Street in Halifax. The show was a series of photographs that included a large number of portraits of drag queens and transgender people in Halifax, the focus of my final term of work."

"I’ve thought often about my brief meeting with Marcello Palma, even more so recently because of the unfolding case of Bruce McArthur, currently accused of killing eight men in Toronto’s LGBTQ community. I think about the people who knew Mr. McArthur before, now forced to grapple with the knowledge the person who had been to them a friend, a lover, a father, a gardener, a mall Santa, may have been also – or maybe instead – a monster."

Expect a surge in serial killers in 15 years, Canadian author says (with clip)

August 15, 2018

"The mid-20th century saw a dramatic rise of serial killers in the United States, with notorious names like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and the Zodiac Killer dominating popular culture.

This era, known as the “golden age” of serial killers, started to decline in the 2000s. But there could be a surge once again, at least according to Peter Vronsky, a Toronto-based historian and author....

What caused the ‘golden age’ of serial killers in the mid-20th century?...

He adds that the family plays an important role in many serial killers’ lives. Many fathers who came back from the war traumatized and suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder may have been mentally or physically absent as a parent.

“My hypothesis is that we have to be looking at the parents of those serial killers,” he says....

Is another surge of serial killers on the way?...

Suspected serial killer, Bruce McArthur

Vronsky says he has been paying very close attention to the case of accused serial killer, 66-year-old Bruce McArthur, who has been charged with eight counts of murder by Toronto police...."

Expect a surge in serial killers in 15 years, Canadian author says
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expect a surge in serial killers in 15 years, Canadian author says (with clip)

August 15, 2018

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Many fathers who came back from the war traumatized and suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder may have been mentally or physically absent as a parent."

Kind of makes me wonder what Vronsky's relationship with his Dad was like.

At any rate, his theory was summed up by Philip Larkin (not a serial killer) in 1971:

"They f'k you up, your mum and dad..." This Be The Verse by Philip Larkin

Judge says she ended judicial career for sake of Toronto missing persons review | The Star
"The judge leading an independent examination of Toronto police missing persons investigations in the wake of deaths linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur says she chose to end her 25-year judicial career in order to conduct the review.

Addressing the Toronto police board meeting Thursday, Ontario Court of Appeal Justice Gloria Epstein said she would “hit the ground running” on the review immediately upon her retirement from the province’s highest court next month. Among the first items of business will be launching a “broad consultative process” to include public and private meetings."

delete

Last edited:
W5 show tomorrow about project Houston. New info about the investigation. Were police tracking the wrong suspect? Watch to find out.
Includes video. W5: Suspect Zero, part one & two.
The untold story of the first suspect, before Bruce McArthur, in the Toronto serial killings
"It was on one of those forums, Zambian Meat, that a Canadian man claimed to have killed and eaten a man in Toronto in 2012. The horrifying scenario triggered a massive police task force."
"Toronto Police eventually concluded Brunton’s claims were just fantasy and he had nothing to do with the disappearances or murders of the missing men. He was what’s called a "howler."

It’s a term explained by forensic psychiatrist Dr Cynthia Baxter.

Based in Calgary, Alta., she uses an analogy to differentiate between "Howlers" and ‘"Hunters":

"If you’ve got a cat that wants to catch a bird, what does the cat do? The cat goes into hunter mode, crouches down, is silent, and quiet as it stalks its prey," said Baxter."

“The goal is not to actually get the prey, a howler is someone who wants to convince everybody that they’re a hunter,” said Baxter.

“Serial killers are almost always hunters, that’s how they get away with it for so long.”

Bruce MacArthur is accused of being a hunter."

Owners holding ‘ceremony of renewal’ at Mallory Cres. home linked to Bruce McArthur | The Star
"The owners of the Mallory Cres. home where police officers recovered the remains of the victims of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur are holding a private “ceremony of renewal” on Saturday after months of searches.

Karen Fraser and Ron Smith said they’re hosting the event, which is not open to the public, as a way to thank the community for their support during the police investigation of their property."
"Following Burnside’s talk, an imam and a reverend will address the event. According to Fraser, the imam will acknowledge that the community has not forgotten about the Muslim victims of the alleged serial killer, and will speak to what the Qur’an says about kindness.

After speeches, the event will move toward private conversations among friends and people who have helped the couple."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back