Singer Aretha Franklin, aged 76, has passed away

I once saw her walking her power-walk at a Meijer store in Monroe, MI. Her big tour bus scraped the top of the overhang at the front of the store... oops. It was probably 2013 or 2o14. She was looking great then.

RIP, Aretha.

Why Aretha Franklin Power-Walks the Aisles of Wal-Mart
She told guest host Anderson Cooper about her "walking regimen," which includes walking in super stores like Walmart and K-Mart.

"The biggest ones, K-Mart, Meijer, Wal-Mart," she said, adding that sometimes people stop her. "I really don't like to break my stride when I'm walking so I change aisles really quickly."

Oh, wow. @CARIIS, thank you for posting this comparison. She is otherworldly.

Ms. Franklin, thank you for sharing your gift with us. What a life-changing and wonderful legacy. Rest in power.

Doing some stuff that is not like her huge stuff -- gives perspective imo

Here is her cover from broadway's Les Misérables -incredible evenings of theatre (seen it three times !) the show won 24 awards - 8 of which were Tonys!!

It is neat to see the broadway version and then see what Aretha did with it.

Her increible cover from Le Mis

It is neat to see the Broadway version and then hear how Aretha took it way. Obviously the broadway version has a special place - to be in the dark theatre and experience it live is utterly incredible !

ETA: YouTube autoplayed this next video — Aretha singing for a president. Oh, woww. Watch all the way through — those last notes are worth the wait.

Last edited:
I once saw her walking her power-walk at a Meijer store in Monroe, MI. Her big tour bus scraped the top of the overhang at the front of the store... oops. It was probably 2013 or 2o14. She was looking great then.

RIP, Aretha.

Why Aretha Franklin Power-Walks the Aisles of Wal-Mart
She told guest host Anderson Cooper about her "walking regimen," which includes walking in super stores like Walmart and K-Mart.

"The biggest ones, K-Mart, Meijer, Wal-Mart," she said, adding that sometimes people stop her. "I really don't like to break my stride when I'm walking so I change aisles really quickly."
Lol, Spellbound, I love it! I moved from Monroe years before but I'd have loved to see it!

Tonight we're having a late dinner (it's only 8 pm here) and listening to the 4-box set. Man does it bring back memories!

All three of my daughters texted me this morning about her death - proof that Aretha will live on through her music, passed from generation to generation.

We all love you Aretha!

Oh, wow. @CARIIS, thank you for posting this comparison. She is otherworldly.

Ms. Franklin, thank you for sharing your gift with us. What a life-changing and wonderful legacy. Rest in power.

ETA: YouTube autoplayed this next video — Aretha singing for a president. Oh, woww. Watch all the way through — those last notes are worth the wait.

Chills...

Her incredible cover from Les Mis

It is neat to see the Broadway version and then hear how Aretha took it way. Obviously the broadway version has a special place - to be in the dark theatre and experience it live is utterly incredible !

Rest in Peace Aretha Franklin

Your magnificent gifts you shared with the world will remain unparalleled.

We remain forever grateful.

Last edited:
Several times yesterday I found myself regretting that I had never seen Aretha Franklin in concert even though she performed frequently at various venues in metro Detroit. When DH got home last evening, he expressed the same sentiment of regret that we never saw the Queen of Soul in concert :(

I'm right there with Aretha about flying!!

Loved the stories about her parties at the Ritz in NYC!

Also, love her love for her home town, Detroit.

She was a sweetie,

An earthling, and a soaring artist.

A fur coat, and the lady next door.

I can't help but smile when I think of her. She was pure joy.

She brought the gravity, MLK, and she brought the joy, Freeway of Love in a Pink Cadillac.

And she brought the astounding...

We celebrate an artist who did not die before her time, but who lived a full and beautiful life.

What pure joy it was to dance to her R.E.S.P.E.C.T. as a teeny bop in the 60's, and to fall in love with her later with her extraordinary duets, and gorgeous performances for our country, and spiritual leaders.

Aretha, with her beautiful name, and her voice that was one of a kind.

She was a one in a million, musician.

Her memorial will rock the house. And burst out of its seams with joy.

RIP dear lady next door, and gift to the world.
Xo

Public viewing, private services for Aretha Franklin

...The Queen of Soul will lie in state 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Aug. 28 and Aug. 29 at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History...

A musical celebration is being planned for Aug. 30 (location has not been determined), and her funeral will be 10 a.m. Aug. 31...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back