Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts never left. You just had to click the dot dot dot next to watched forums and watched threads. :)

It’s “New Threads” that are missing, although it was not called that. You used to be able to see them under the label “Recent Threads” on the sidebar, but it was removed around the same time as History was removed. It provided a list of newly created threads on the site.

Having a New Threads link next to New Posts would be very useful as I don’t know another way to see which threads have been created since it was removed from the sidebar.

PS What is the difference between New Posts and Recent Posts? I can’t figure it out.

It’s “New Threads” that are missing, although it was not called that. You used to be able to see them under the label “Recent Threads” on the sidebar, but it was removed around the same time as History was removed. It provided a list of newly created threads on the site.

Having a New Threads link next to New Posts would be very useful as I don’t know another way to see which threads have been created since it was removed from the sidebar.

PS What is the difference between New Posts and Recent Posts? I can’t figure it out.
The recent threads are the same as latest replies. They’ve always seemed redundant to me. Duplication unnecessary?

The recent threads are the same as latest replies. They’ve always seemed redundant to me. Duplication unnecessary?
I've noticed a difference in those two sections, Recent Threads and Latest Replies.
For logged-in members they are the same.
They aren't the same if you are viewing as a Guest.

For a Guest, Latest Replies does not include the private threads (Jury Room, Game Room, etc).
For a Member, Latest Replies includes the private threads (Jury Room, Game Room, etc).

Last edited:
I've noticed a difference in those two sections, Recent Threads and Latest Replies.
For logged-in members they are the same.
They aren't the same if you are viewing as a Guest.

For a Guest, Latest Replies does not include the private threads (Jury Room, Game Room, etc).
For a Member, Latest Replies includes the private threads (Jury Room, Game Room, etc).
Good to know, sees. I didn’t realize that. Your post will certainly help to diminish, clarify and diffuse the confusion of guests and members viewing here. Good to know.

Last edited:
Because we sleuth monsters. I think it suits me though. Sometimes I can be a real witch. ;)

Well I'm sitting here admiring my brand new broomstick so you may have a point Flossy!
winking0047.gif

ATTENTION @Tricia OR ANY MOD INTERESTED.

The current Websleuth banner leading the website to join discussion for actual victim "Shanann Watts," has her name misspelled [Shannon Watts].. This misspelling is only helping to perpetuate false report that Shanann was previously arrested 15 times. The alleged criminal is "Shannon Watts" and not our victim.

Also, @Tricia and the Mods not accepting PM/Conversations?? so posting here for your attention.

Last edited:
ATTENTION @Tricia OR ANY MOD INTERESTED.

The current Websleuth banner leading the website to join discussion for actual victim "Shanann Watts," has her name misspelled [Shannon Watts].. This misspelling is only helping to perpetuate false report that Shanann was previously arrested 15 times. The alleged criminal is "Shannon Watts" and not our victim.

Also, @Tricia and the Mods not accepting PM/Conversations?? so posting here for your attention.

The banner also provides a link to one of the outdated, closed threads. I think there should be arrangements made to keep the banner pointing to the correct link. That’s the first thing anyone new to the site would see, let’s work together to give visitors the very best first impression.

The banner also provides a link to one of the outdated, closed threads. I think there should be arrangements made to keep the banner pointing to the correct link. That’s the first thing anyone new to the site would see, let’s work together to give visitors the very best first impression.

Yes, I agree. The banner link leads to thread #2 and in order to get to the current link...thread #4...you have to go to the last pages of #2 and #3. A new person wouldn’t know how to do that and might not have the patience to read two whole threads. :)

I’m glad to see her name has been corrected to Shanann.

View attachment 142552 And, then this. Apple says that ultimately the process can fry my hard drive.

Have you tried disabling the Flash player? That’s worked for me (mostly - sometimes the browser crashes now and I have to refresh the thread). I usually use Chrome on MacBook.

Have you tried disabling the Flash player? That’s worked for me (mostly - sometimes the browser crashes now and I have to refresh the thread). I usually use Chrome on MacBook.
I have disabled it. It seems my computer is getting stuck in some loop when I am on here, causing a rise in the kernal task heat monitoring. So, I won't post and read here until the bugs are figured out and I have someone do diagnostics. It is too bad really.

Attention Moderators.
I have noticed threads, like Mollie Tibbetts, close while those in the same Country/area sleep.
Websleuths operates in many countries, and certainly we are not all asleep, at the same time.
Kindly consider other countries please, and not 'turn off' the site each time those, in the same country as the thread sleep.:):)

This x1000. Using "Watched Threads" (and "Watched Forums") requires a little more management on the part of the user, but the payoff is that it's pretty efficient.

It could be handy to have the nav bar that contains Watched Forums, etc. repeated at the bottom of the page like the Home->Forums etc. bar is.
This is what I do. Subscribing to threads i’m Interested in is easy and then it’s all in one place. I rarely look elsewhere on WS, other than the new threads box.

Having an additional tab at the bottom is a great idea!

The banner is for new people. If someone is new I would assume they would want to start at the beginning. The only reason I think this is because of complaints I have had from new people who click on the banner at the top. They don't want the 2nd thread. They want to start at the beginning. They don't understand that the first post in the current thread has a link to the other old threads. I agree that for all of us who know the case and knows how Websleuths works that it is much better to use the most current thread.
Maybe the thing to do is have a quick one line explanation in the opening post explaining links to other threads are at the bottom of the post. I know that seems kind of silly but talk to someone who is coming to Websleuths for the first time and they are overwhelmed. Especially if they are not computer savvy.
Let me think about this. Thank you Eevee Pie.

Attention Moderators.
I have noticed threads, like Mollie Tibbetts, close while those in the same Country/area sleep.
Websleuths operates in many countries, and certainly we are not all asleep, at the same time.
Kindly consider other countries please, and not 'turn off' the site each time those, in the same country as the thread sleep.:):)

I’m sure it’s frustrating. I could be wrong, but in my experience, the threads that get closed are usually the ones that deteriorate into arguments when the mods are sleeping. Then it’s a mess for them to clean up in the morning and takes them away from other threads. Most/all of the mods are in the U.S. so I guess the solution would be to have mods on duty in Europe and Australia, etc manning those controversial (mostly U.S.) threads. There are fewer mods now than before the transition to the new software, so everyone is spread a bit thin, I expect. But it must be irritating to sit there unable to comment while the U.S. sleeps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail