Alberta - Therapy dog in fifth year of helping children cope after abuse

EuTuCroquet?

“What's happening to my special purpose!?”
Reaction score
wren-0101-copy.jpg

Wren, a dog that provides support to children at the Zebra Child Protection Centre with centre director Becci Watson on Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018 in Edmonton. GREG SOUTHAM / POSTMEDIA

Therapy dog in fifth year of helping children cope after abuse

Wren is a four-legged “staff member” of the Zebra Child Protection Centre, a non-profit child abuse response centre in downtown Edmonton. This year marks her fifth anniversary of work, as well as the fifth year of the centre’s support dog program.

“She’s that initial comfort and that initial calming presence,” said Becci Watson, the centre’s director of justice partnerships and support. “She’s that warm, cuddly, physical comfort that children might not otherwise get in the criminal justice process.”

The centre supports kids and their non-offending family members as they move through the justice system — from disclosures of abuse, to police interviews and the courthouse. As part of the Very Important Paws program, Wren has greeted children nearly 650 times. Last year, she and the centre’s other facility dog, Fletcher, joined children in more than 160 forensic interviews with police.

Wren also accompanies children to the courthouse; if they’re testifying, she’ll join them on stand. Last year, she and Fletcher sat with children giving testimony more than 60 times.

Years ago, initially to visit my elderly Mum, when she needed to go to hospital, I would bring in my 2 little dogs (with permission).
This not only, brought pleasure for my Mum, but the many patients on the floor.
I spent my time, walking from bed, to bed, with my 2 dogs, with most patients being delighted.

Wren looks so sweet and beautiful. I can't imagine a better type of dog for that service than a big, goofy yellow Lab. They are so loving and calm.

wren-0101-copy.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back