NJ Andrew & Patricia Puskas both 35, Middlesex February 25th 1982

Nocturnal 911

Reaction score

My UNSOLVED hometown murder is being revisited!! This was devastating to our community and haunts me to this day. I can still see their poor sons' little burnt scalps . I'd LOVE to see this sleuthed- specifically any leads on the blue glass pipe bomb fragments found with the raised letters "KINGS". Please note: all close friends and family called him "Dick" not Andrew as the bomb/box was addressed. Thank you!!

Middlesex cold case: Who sent the explosive device that killed Andrew and Patricia Puskas in 1982?

Puskas

Some information about the bomb and how it was discovered. It's sad that they contacted the police about the package but they didn't take it seriously
Middlesex cold case: Who sent the explosive device that killed Andrew and Patricia Puskas in 1982?
As the family was getting the three children ready for school, the package was noticed by the front door, according to Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office Detective Kevin Schroeck.
They brought the package, addressed to Andrew Puskas, into the home to take a look at it.

Schroeck said the family also contacted police because they thought the package was suspicious, and possibly contained an explosive device. They brought it inside because they weren't sure what it was until it was opened.

"They sent the kids outside," Schroeck said.

A 1982 Home News newspaper story of the incident indicated Andrew Puskas told police he considered the package a poor joke and did not seem to be alarmed.
"As the first arriving officer arrived on scene, the explosion occurred. The first arriving officer was immediately taken aback by the explosion, moved his car and began rendering assistance to the kids nearby," Schroeck said.
The Home News newspaper stories indicate the bomb was attached to two bottles containing a flammable liquid and a time set at 45 seconds that exploded in an archway between the living room and kitchen, collapsing the floor where the couple was standing, looking into the package, and setting the entire home on fire. Andrew and Patricia Puskas, both 35, were killed instantly, according to news reports.

My parents, as well as MOST families at our church, were interviewed by the ATF or FBI? I was only 12 at the time. This was my FIRST experience with death/murder/crime and I can recall being enthralled and devastated at the same time. I rode by their house often on my bike afterwards and also remember sneaking into my mother's address book for their home phone number and calling the house repeatedly just PRAYING it was a dream and Pat would answer. The two older boys sat in front of me in church in the weeks? months? following before they moved in with family outside of our county. I can remember looking at the back of their sweet baby angel heads, skin burned and hair singed and feeling like SOMETHING had to be done for them to help catch the SOB. I also seem to recall that my mother, who was 7 mos pregnant with my sister on this date, had some loose plans for her baby shower being hosted at Dick & Patricia's house? Or someone mentioned to or in front of me "She was going to have Mickey's baby shower!!" and thinking OMG-- My mother and sister could have been lost as well.
I have been googling this case for YEARS. I have secretly searched for the boys on social media. Scotty, Drew & Brian if you ever see this please KNOW that I still hold your little hearts in my mind XoXo..........................

Reactions: dms
pics

Attachments

• 20180819_165619.jpg
    20180819_165619.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180819_181130.jpg
    20180819_181130.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180819_181113.jpg
    20180819_181113.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 39
I grew up in Middlesex, but moved to Piscataway by 2nd grade in 1979, so I did not know the family, or hear about the case until a year ago. Pipe bombs were big with mafia hits, did the father perhaps not give a deal to someone while he was selling? We're his clients investigated? I saw pix of the glass bottle fragments, some of it's definitely from a Wheaton glass Kings balsam of life blue bottle. A Pin for you. Not sure if the bottles used had a message or meaning, or if they were just available.

Another thing I found odd, if my child found something on the porch, and I wasn't sure what it was, I don't think I would call police as one of my first actions after bringing it in tbe home, if I wasn't concerned about nothing.

The last comment, I believe a middlesex man was caught with pipe bomb materials in his home, was he living in Middlesex at the same time? Did they know each other? Middlesex Borough man charged with detonating pipe bomb

Good catch on the bottles! I can't find the images that were released earlier anywhere--- The bottles that you PINd look familiar but I can't remember if it's because of the pics released or because I stumbled across something similar. I just tried to browse this and walked away thinking they were probably pretty common? Also-- I recall the kids saying that Dick told them to get out of the house, like now. Once he saw the contents. He seems calm in the call transcripts, but he def sent them out! -- Off to google Joseph Colucci to death now-- I hadn't heard about that 2019 arrest THANKS!
Medicinal Bottles

I'm wondering if anything new has been discovered in this case? I'm wondering if they had problems with any neighbors? If they had problems with anyone the oldest son may recall that, i recall the disagreements my family had with neighbors back in the day when i was a child. The man who got caught detonating pipe bombs, Calucci, lived on 2nd street in middlesex, one street over from the Puskas. Wonder if he grew up there? He was 59 yrs old in 2017, so he would have been 25/26? Wonder if he was investigated? If his family lived on 2nd street in 1984 he may be worth an investigation...

One article states that he couple were "anti-catholic". I wonder why? My first thought was whether their anti-catholic message had anything to do with the situation in Ireland at the time. Could they have been targeted due to their message and/or used as a test run for later violence in Ireland? Another thought. It seems that 45 seconds is or should have been a lot of time to set the timer provided the timer started when the box was opened. ( if the folks had opened the box, seeing the contents had immediately elected to leave the house.)

Also this article sort of supports the theory! A psychic was interviewed! Deadly Explosion Killed God-Fearing Couple in 1982 - True Crime Diva

If the family were jehova witness, they would walk around the neighborhoods witnessing, if Andrew was not passive and a much more passionate JW, maybe he really angered a serious catholic?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519_082600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230519_082600_Chrome.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230519_084705_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230519_084705_Chrome.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online