WA - Orca mother carries dead calf for fourth day, San Juan Islands

The endangered orca who has been clinging onto her dead calf for more than two weeks and swimming for 1,000 miles, has finally let go of her baby.

The 20-year-old mother, known as J35 or Tahlequah, broke the hearts of watchers across the globe who were touched by the story of the grieving whale.

On Saturday she was spotted looking 'vigorous and healthy' following 17 days of swimming with her dead calf on her forehead in the Haro Strait off of the Washington coast.

'J35 frolicked past my window today with other J pod whales, and she looks vigorous and healthy,' Ken Balcomb, founding director of the Center for Whale Research, said to The Seattle Times.

Grieving orca Tahlequah finally drops her dead calf after carrying it for 17 days | Daily Mail Online

The endangered orca who has been clinging onto her dead calf for more than two weeks and swimming for 1,000 miles, has finally let go of her baby.

The 20-year-old mother, known as J35 or Tahlequah, broke the hearts of watchers across the globe who were touched by the story of the grieving whale.

On Saturday she was spotted looking 'vigorous and healthy' following 17 days of swimming with her dead calf on her forehead in the Haro Strait off of the Washington coast.

'J35 frolicked past my window today with other J pod whales, and she looks vigorous and healthy,' Ken Balcomb, founding director of the Center for Whale Research, said to The Seattle Times.

Grieving orca Tahlequah finally drops her dead calf after carrying it for 17 days | Daily Mail Online

A neighbor just came knocking to tell me this news. Such great news! Also that she is looking healthy. It has to be hard for Mama but this is the best thing for her.

Re J50 NOAA tweeted yesterday:

"#J50 Update: JPod moved into Canadian waters Friday. The international response team followed. J50 repeatedly dove & surfaced where the pod was feeding. Biologists could not tell if she also fed, but they collected leftover scale samples to identify what kind of salmon they ate."

Twitter

Thank God! I have cried over this poor Mama grieving over her baby. And the compassion , empathy her story has brought out is so good to see. I cry over one, then the other.

Carry on, Tahlequah. You are loved by marine life & human life.

Here are some updates regarding J50 (antibiotics were given on Aug 9):

August 10: J pod moved into Canadian waters. The team spotted J50 / Scarlet and watched as she repeatedly dove and surfaced where the pod was feeding. Biologists could not tell whether she also fed, but they collected leftover scale samples that will help identify what kind of salmon or other fish the whales had eaten. She again appeared active and energetic.

August 11: The team spent several hours with J50 / Scarlet watching her behavior and interaction with members of J pod. Researchers from the Univ. of WA observed her swimming with the pod while trying to collect a fecal sample. Later the team watched her fall as much as 1 kilometer (~1/2 mile) behind against a strong tidal current. Biologists were concerned that they did not see her eat, even in a prime foraging area off San Juan Island. A charter company reported seeing her catch a fish earlier in the day.

August 12: Favorable conditions allowed the teams to proceed with an experimental live fish release off the west side of San Juan Island to evaluate the process as a way to treat J50 / Scarlet with medication and supplements. Under the direction of Jeff Foster with the Whale Sanctuary Program, a Lummi Nation vessel released eight live hatchery salmon about 75 to 150 yards in front of her, while teams observed from NOAA Fisheries and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) vessels. While she appeared to react to the released fish by quickly diving, biologists could not confirm from the vessels whether she took the fish, and they are reviewing aerial footage for further clues. J50 / Scarlet socialized with members of J Pod but sometimes fell behind in the strong current. Researchers collected a fecal sample from the pod but could not confirm whether it was from J50 herself. Fecal samples can reveal whether the whales are eating, what they are eating, provide clues about their health, and gauge their stress levels by evaluating hormones such as cortisol.

August 14: Now that the response team has met its initial goals for J50 / Scarlet’s health assessment and treatment, and J Pod has headed out to open waters, biologists and veterinarians are taking stock of what they have learned so far. They are reviewing video footage and photos and processing samples to gain further insights into her health and behavior. Teams continue to monitor the whales and collect fecal and prey samples (e.g., fish scales) when possible. They will also review the results of Sunday’s (8/12) feeding trial while they determine next steps.

August 17: Test results from the health samples collected from J50/Scarlet are starting to come in from several top laboratories around the country. A fecal sample collected last weekend from a group of three J Pod whales (J16/Slick, J42/Echo, and J50/Scarlet), showed high levels of Contracaecum, a nematode parasite that is commonly found in killer whales and other marine mammals. The worm is not usually a problem in healthy animals. However, in animals that are emaciated or are otherwise compromised, the parasite can penetrate the stomach lining, introducing bacterial infection to the bloodstream, or it can bore into internal organs. While we cannot be sure the sample came from J50/Scarlet, the veterinary team has updated her treatment priorities to include antibiotics and a dewormer. Both have proven successful and safe in other cetaceans. The treatment should help J50/Scarlet by reducing bacterial and parasitic burdens on her system so she can start regaining the weight she has lost. The whales remain in open waters off the west side of Vancouver Island, beyond the reach of the response teams.

Updates on Southern Resident Killer Whales J50 and J35 :: NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region

Well hopefully she gets the dewormer soon.

I think these people are doing a great job!

I am headed to Vancouver in about 10 days and I’ve signed up for a whale watching tour the first morning. I made sure they were approved (certified?) by the advocacy and research groups.

I am headed to Vancouver in about 10 days and I’ve signed up for a whale watching tour the first morning. I made sure they were approved (certified?) by the advocacy and research groups.

Have you ever done it before @Doghairrules? You will just love it. It is one of the most breathtaking things I have ever seen.

Updates on Southern Resident Killer Whales J50 and J35 :: NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region

August 20
: Response teams spent about three hours on Saturday (8/18) monitoring J50/Scarlet as J Pod returned to the Salish Sea on the way towards San Juan Island. Biologists aboard a SeaDoc Society vessel reported J50/Scarlet actively socializing with the rest of the pod, a hint that her condition may be improving slightly. She fell behind the pod as the whales swam east, but a University of Washington (UW) team saw her rejoin her mother (J16/Slick) and sister (J42/Echo) to forage near Hannah Heights on the west side of San Juan Island. The UW team also collected two fecal samples from the group. On Sunday (8/19) J Pod was seen heading west, back toward open ocean. The plan going forward is to administer another dose of antibiotic through a dart and, if possible, a second dart with dewormer to reduce parasitic worms, known to be harmful in emaciated marine mammals like J50/Scarlet, and that were found in the recent fecal samples from a group of three whales including J50. The veterinary team believes another dose of antibiotic remains the priority to treat potential infection since the first dart on 8/9 delivered only half a dose. Darting a swimming killer whale that has thick skin, particularly on fins and flukes, from a rocking boat is challenging. To ensure that J50/Scarlet receives the medication, veterinarians may switch to a collared needle with a ridge that holds it in place long enough to deliver the full dose. This type of dart is commonly used to treat wildlife, such as elephants, and will fall out in time. See new photos from Saturday (8/18) at flic.kr/s/aHsmpvmT1o.

I contacted them to ask for updates about J35 and her calf.

Help sought to find j50

This is unbearably sad to me. I’m ambivalent about rescuing her and trying to treat her and return her to her family, but I think if it’s the only option left, they should try it.

Help sought to find j50

This is unbearably sad to me. I’m ambivalent about rescuing her and trying to treat her and return her to her family, but I think if it’s the only option left, they should try it.

I'm all for treating her but I worry that like with Morgan she will be captured to be treated and all of a sudden they will say "Oh, she can't be returned to the wild now." Morgan was supposed to be returned to the wild and she is still in captivity years later with no plans to let her go.

‘She’s dead:’ Scientists say struggling southern resident orca J50 deceased

The last time J50 was spotted was Friday evening, Balcomb said. Her pod, the J Pod, has been traveling in and around the San Juans for over a week and she hasn't been spotted.

"This is unheard of for a baby whale," Balcomb said. "Everyone has given up hope."

Her body has not been found. But Balcomb said seeing the J Pod, and her mother J-16, without J50 more than three times is sufficient enough evidence to say she is dead

I'm all for treating her but I worry that like with Morgan she will be captured to be treated and all of a sudden they will say "Oh, she can't be returned to the wild now." Morgan was supposed to be returned to the wild and she is still in captivity years later with no plans to let her go.
I did not know about Morgan. That makes it all more ominous. Not
That it matters now.

Well I hope they are wrong and she isn't dead! They haven't found her body, so maybe, just maybe.... this is sad.

NOAA still holding out hope for J50, Sept 15 meeting in Friday Harbor still on

Contingency planning to rescue J50 is continuing in the event she is found and rescue operations are appropriate. The local Marine Mammal Stranding Network also remains on alert. The hotline for stranding reports is 1-866-767-6114.

NOAA will continue to post updates on Facebook and at bit.ly/NOAAJ50J35.

The public meeting scheduled for 7 p.m. Saturday, September 15 at Friday Harbor High School is still going ahead as planned. Read more about the meeting here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back