GUILTY Canada - Vicky Shachtay, 23, paraplegic, killed by bomb, Innisfail, AB, 25 Nov 2011

Malley's lawyer says he plans to appeal the conviction ... don't they all :rolleyes:

http://didsburyreview.ca/article/20150303/DID0801/303039966/-1/did0801

As for the conviction itself, Aloneissi calls it a mistake.

“Canada’s justice system’s hall of shame for wrongful convictions has a new inductee,” he said. “Brian Malley now joins a sorry list of those wrongfully convicted, which includes Donald Marshall Jr., David Milgaard, Guy Paul Moran, amongst others. That’s what I feel.”
:violin: It seems the jurors felt otherwise, Mr. Aloneissi

Mr. Malley just went up in a puff of smoke,” said Victor
and

“She was a proud mother who doted on her daughter,” he said. “She faced all that life threw at her and tackled it. She was a happy person. She coped with everything and she didn’t feel sorry for herself or cry. She was happy to be alive.”
<bbm>

and she sure as heck didn't take advantage of, steal from, harm or kill anyone more or less disadvantaged than herself for material gain or otherwise.

Creep :furious:

Malley launches appeal and will be applying for bail:

http://www.innisfailprovince.ca/article/20150317/INN0801/303179973

In a notice of appeal filed in the Alberta Court of Appeal on March 6, Malley asks for the conviction to be set aside and a new trial by judge and jury ordered ...

In the notice of appeal, filed with the Court of Appeal of Alberta, Malley cites 10 grounds for appeal, including the following (quoted from the notice):

&#8226; The learned trial judge erred in prohibiting the appellant (Malley) from eliciting evidence in-chief and in cross-examination respecting an inadequate investigation by the police.

&#8226; The learned trial judge erred in permitting the admission of highly prejudicial DNA evidence of low probative value.

&#8226; The learned trial judge erred in permitting the admission of irrelevant and prejudicial lay and opinion evidence from Barbara Tblus.

&#8226; The learned trial judge erred in permitting the admission of bad character evidence with respect to the appellant.

&#8226; The learned trial judge erred in permitting Crown counsel to refer to bad character evidence in addressing the jury.

&#8226; Such further and other grounds as counsel may advise and this honourable court may permit.

Since when does Malley think that DNA evidence presented has low probative value? :floorlaugh: Yes it was a wee bit prejudicial ... because you left it where it was found !!

Straws, Malley, straws

Father of murder victim moving on ...

Her now 10-year-old daughter is moving on as well, but isn&#8217;t quite coping with it the same way, he added.

&#8220;She still hasn&#8217;t got the full concept of death,&#8221; he said, adding his mother died when he was 10 years old and he didn&#8217;t fully understand until a couple of years later what death really meant.

&#8220;I guess in an effort to spare her feelings they (her family) just said &#8216;well your mommy&#8217;s gone to be with grandma&#8217;. She knew grandma was gone. &#8216;Why did mommy leave me here if she&#8217;s gone to be with grandma&#8217; (is her) type (of) attitude.&#8221;

:(

full article:
http://www.mountainviewgazette.ca/article/20150407/MVG0801/304079997

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/brian-malley-murder-appeal-victoria-shachtay-reserved-1.3762209
Brian Malley's appeal of murder conviction in bombing death of Victoria Shachtay sees decision reserved

Paralyzed Innisfail woman was killed by an exploding package left on her doorstep in 2015

Sep 14, 2016
attachment.php

Single mother Victoria Shachtay was killed by a bomb contained in a wrapped present delivered to her home in November 2011. Brian Malley was found guilty of first-degree murder in her death but he has appealed the conviction.

Attachments

• shachtay-malley.jpg
    shachtay-malley.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 24
Vicky, you simply didn't deserve this. You had more than your share of troubles, and, well, sometimes life just sucks.

Hugs to you and your family. They shouldn't have to endure the denial by the perpetrator, when they knew you for who you were and they know what he did.

CanMan, I think you're thinking of the Wayne Greavette case, but that was in in Ontario. (There is an Ontario town called Innisfil .. not the same spelling as Innisfail, Alberta)

The Wayne Greavette case is really fascinating. I'm surprised there isn't a thread on it TBH (if there is I haven't found it).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back