Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
This or maybe a dad of one of the kids at the daycare. Someone she is nice and pleasant too, but they take her kindness as something more.
It is amazing how someone "normal" and integrated can be in significant error about their options in life. I was reading about the impact of power on people, how their self-perception changes. The article used Henry Kissinger as an example because he thought of himself as a sex symbol. A "normal" and integrated dad might have had a slip of judgment and then gotten in over his head, as postulated, one thought in error at a time.

I believe that we have only his word that he passed it?
I haven’t read that he said he passed it, only that he didn’t want to take it in the first place, as he thought it was a waste of time and resources... the last article I read said the LE did not tell him whether he passed or or not. So, at the time, was in the dark regarding the results.
I do not believe he has anything to do with this.’

respectfully snipped for space. Another scenario is that LE thinks she is alive(and several have said that), and they don't want to endanger her by keeping anyone they suspect locked up and jeopardize her safety or health. Just one possibility. I hope it's true. And then they find her alive and well.
Good point, hope so!!

We don't know what happened or how it happened, and the only way we'll ever know is if Mollie lives to tell the tale or her murderer confesses, because if LE had anything, this case wouldn't be cold. Not to be a Debbie downer, but a realistic Rhonda.

My theory is someone who grew up in eastern Iowa did this and has done this before. He jumped off the freeway at the truck stop, headed north into town looking for an opportunity, made a couple laps around the block, spotted Mollie, grabbed her in a split second (east of the carwash) drove to that top right red dot then south to that other red dot and on past, did his evil business, and left the poor girl in a body of water or abandoned shelter.

He's crazy. He wasn't thinking about it's daylight or somebody could see me... no, he looked around real quick to see if anybody was watching when he thought it was a good spot to snatch her, stopped quickly, put the vehicle in park, hopped out, grabbed her, probably threw her in the trunk and sped off.

I think people should search for her way south of that bottom right red dot.

I'm probably totally wrong about all of this, hell I usually watch romantic comedies, not crime shows, so what do I know?! Everyone needs to say a prayer for her heartbroken parents.

I like your thinking, but teachers do leave over the summer or last-minute very often.

Possible reasons why:
-poor pay at a small, rural school so they got a better job elsewhere
-moved out of the area
-spouse got a job that required a move
-pregnancy
-teacher burnout
-last-minute retirement
-personal illness or family illness

There are many plausible reasons. We have last-minute openings every year at my school, and we’re a very desirable district.

I don’t think I need to run down the possible reasons for a cook who probably makes minimum wage at best...

I agree with all those reasons. But seeing it made me think about the possibilities of someone who might have known MT over time and left Brooklyn unexpectedly.

Something else that I always try to think about is: In many cases that take a while to solve, you find out that LE knew some very important info nearly from the beginning. I wonder what all LE knows that they aren’t willing to share? No reason to speculate, just a rhetorical? I’ve been thinking about.

IMO, I believe LE has acquired valuable info
I’m signing off for a few days maybe more.

After Lucas Hernandez I was heartbroken. And each day that passes in my heart I chave lost hope. I don’t think Miss Mollie will be found for a time. And she had so much going for her. She was just beginning to make her own little corner of the world. And I hope I’m wrong.

I will be back when I am happier again and dealing with life in a more positive way.
And I think I’m going away for a while over to a National Park where everything is fresh and mostly innocent. LWhen I’m recharged Ill read every thread. And hope Mollie has been found.

I totally understand your need for a break. As a former LE person, the emotional aspect of these investigations, can take it's toll. The desire to resolve this mystery, escalates over time. I'm keeping the faith..

I doubt LE would even have held a PC last week if they had a suspect and were just waiting on him to “make a move” or even on forensics, though on what I can’t imagine. They would have had no reason to share the bit they did, imo. Wihtout giving a vehicle or perp description, it is useless for them to give out areas on a map. It was obvious to me that they want anything that could help them find someone to suspect...not hoping that someone would happen to give them the exact info they need without knowing what it is. They also would not have listed all of the behavior/appearance issues to think back on. But jmo.

I'm interested in this, I would like to think this is case... But I'm curious what forensics you think they are analyzing? I have had a similar thought, but I can't think what evidence they would have besides digital evidence and data dumps from search warrants. I considered touch DNA but can't think of a likely source for that DNA unless they have collected physical evidence that has gone under the radar... And there are only a few sources I can think that they would have obtained that.

*Biological evidence (blood, body fluids, hair, other tissue). I haven't heard of anything found in the home, but perhaps other locations.
*Latent print evidence (fingerprints, palm prints, footprints). Apparently it rained that night or the next morning? Regardless, I bet they got a footprint. Betcha.
*Tire tracks (same as above)
*Trace evidence (fibers, soil, vegetation, glass fragments). I'd be checking that car wash very carefully for trace evidence.
*Digital evidence (cell phone, internet logs, email messages). I'm sure LE is already all over this
*Tool and tool mark evidence - I haven't heard of any disturbance around the home, but we don't know. Any tools found throw in to the bushes.
*Drug evidence - Any paraphernalia, or liquor bottles for that matter
*Firearm, taser, knife thrown in bushes, off side of road, etc.

That's my short list.

So I know Brooklyn is a small town, but it's right off the interstate so I am sure people pull off for gas, food, etc. Do people really know everybody's cars? I have lived in small towns yet just knew my immediate neighbors cars. I don't find it that far fetched that someone at the truck stop or car wash could have seen her and followed her to a more rural area unnoticed.
From what I heard from people from that area, it is small enough that everybody knows everybody. As for definitely noticing a strange car, I'm not totally convinced of that. Some people just don't pay attention. I couldn't even tell you what kind of car my neighbors have, and to me all minivans look the same. I just don't notice cars. So I do think it is possible this could be a stranger, I just feel it is more likely someone familiar with the area.

It's *so* important to take a break when a thread is too upsetting. I see people (including myself) who sometimes take quite a break after a case is resolved. It's almost like a mourning/grief process. I took a long break after the Chelsea Bruck case. It's healthy.
Nature is the best medicine for me too.

I actually often step away after a particularly difficult case. I think it is healthy. I know it is for me. We tend to invest so much time in these when we follow them, and they are almost always emotional roller coasters, and far too often, do not have happy endings. Something always pulls me back, but I could not be here day in and day out, year round. I am grateful for those who can and are.

I was just reading a news article from PA that said they were using a drone to help find missing persons. I cannot find the article again, so my apologies for not linking it. Please delete if this is not allowed.

At any rate, this got me thinking of MT and I certainly hope they are using drones in their search. It’s much more cost effective than what you pay for a police helicopter. Really, I would think they would use everything possible there is to use.

Imo, after the abandoned buildings, he might have taken MT, still with phone and fitbit on her, to the general area of pig farm and left her there. I've said it before, but I think the phone "pinged" there last because it got wet. The perp very well could have considered the phone and disposed of it at some seperate point, but I also think it's possible his mind was too occupied to bother worrying about it.

On the other hand, maybe the phone fell off in the vehicle or somewhere in the abandoned buildings and he found it, picked it up, and disposed of it. I don't know.

And for all we know, LE has found it.
Maybe, but that is one major, serious thing to worry about. Hard to believe he wouldn't consider the consequences.

I can't find the quote, but regarding tranquilizer and farm animals - we have a horse farm and plenty of tranquilizer. Now I find it totally unplausible that someone could inject a fighting back woman, but access to tranquilizer would not be hard.
If she knew them, perhaps she wasn't fighting back but got caught off guard. An injection would fit in that scenario, and one I have thought of.

Goodbye for now, Charlie. Don't let the (you know whats) get you down! It really IS hard to stay positive following a case like this where it seems there cannot be a happy ending. I have only been here a month now, and I can't even imagine how I will feel if we get some terrible news. All the people that have been here for years, must be hit really hard when a case turns out to confirm your worst fears. You get so emotionally involved. Even though you don't know this person, she's just like your neighbor , daughter, sister, and I imagine the postings would almost become like a support group for a time, then back to following the case to see that justice is served.
Exactly - I've been here 9 years and lurked for a long time before I joined. Following these cases, especially the ones that don't end well (and most don't), is so depressing. The victims become family - so when they hurt, we hurt.
You've only been here a month and you're on your way to 700 posts! You're very involved, so I'm sure when reality hits, you will grieve right along with the family. Part of it is that there is nothing you can do to make things okay for Mollie's family and part of it is that it has consumed so much of your thoughts, Mollie has become your family and you will have trouble moving on (just like her family). I guess that's what people call "closure"??
Empathy and sympathy are good traits to have, but we have to take care of ourselves, too. I generally take long breaks between cases once the trial is over. I think I'm not going to follow another case, and then a case comes up that I can't help but get involved in. It's a non-ending cycle. LOL
You take your investigating very seriously and are very involved. (I admit I do most of my posting in private chat so am not a lot of help on this site.) I'm sure you will be able to contribute to many more cases over the next several years. Continue your good work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member