OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure. But it does strike me as unlikely that someone killed him and then refrigerated him quickly.:)

But if someone were of a mind to refrigerate someone while trying to figure out how to get them out of the building undetected....a restaurant has the necessary equipment.

Remember, the night that all of this happened was during the weekend of daylight savings time and that most electronic equipment like computers, phones, surveillance cameras (?) should have all changed from 11:59 pm. to 1:00 am. in a minute. I don't know how the video surveillance camera's video footage shows this other than the digital time shown on it would jump ahead as well (I assume).

When the police were coming up with their timeline for the events of that evening, nothing seemed to be mentioned that an hour was lost and that bars, for the most part, follow the "new" time and would have closed at what would have actually been 1:00 am. I don't have any idea if this is important or not but the video equipment may have left something out or resets itself or something?
Just wanted to try and help.

The time change actually happens at 2am. I worked night shift for 38 years and am rock solid on this fact. The minute after 0159 is 0300.

And they also said employees and others at the time walked the construction area, that the conditions weren’t such that they suspected a person could have been concealed at the time or directly after. So my logic is that it’s better to trust the opinion of LE and Brian’s Dad and girlfriend who had strong incentive to find Brian, and had access to the building way back then, over the opinions we can develop 12 years later.

The lead detective suggests that Brian entered the construction area and stated - just a few months ago - that the construction area on the morn Brian disappeared was in a 'completely dug up' state. That sounds like formula for trouble to me. I'll take the lead detective's word on that. Brian was in there, it was all dug up, since paved over, Brian likely died early that morning. Body strangely never turned up anywhere. Evidence suggests he never left the building. Hmm, where might he be....

Last edited:
The lead detective suggests that Brian entered the construction area and stated - just a few months ago - that the construction area on the morn Brian disappeared was in a 'completely dug up' state. That sounds like formula for trouble to me. I'll take the lead detective's word on that. Brian was in there, it was all dug up, since paved over, Brian likely died early that morning. Body strangely never turned up anywhere. Evidence suggests he never left the building. Hmm, where might he be....
I agree he did say it was dug up, but I am just encouraging people to refer back to the original articles for the context that might help us understand what he meant by that. Or even to follow up with him and ask exactly what he meant by dug up and exactly why they felt confident Brian hadn’t been buried there.

If he now believes it’s likely Brian was in the building, that would definitely impact my feelings. At the time, however, tho they acknowledged it was dug up, it wasn’t “dug up” to a depth that would conceal a body.:)

I’m open to him evolving my position on that tho if you or anyone else determine he is saying something different now.

I agree he did say it was dug up, but I am just encouraging people to refer back to the original articles for the context that might help us understand what he meant by that. Or even to follow up with him and ask exactly what he meant by dug up and exactly why they felt confident Brian hadn’t been buried there.

If he now believes it’s likely Brian was in the building, that would definitely impact my feelings. At the time, however, tho they acknowledged it was dug up, it wasn’t “dug up” to a depth that would conceal a body.:)

I’m open to him evolving my position on that tho if you or anyone else determine he is saying something different now.
I agree that it is useful to study the early days of the case. Have done such studying myself. A few thoughts:
* Det. Hurst a few months back suggested (I'd encourage anyone interested in the case to listen to his comments in the podcast) that Brian had likely entered the 'completely dug up' construction area and had 'most likely gotten exited out' of it. Not 'definitely'. Rather, 'most likely'. I think we can conclude from Det. Hurst's comments that he believes it possible that Brian Shaffer may not have 'gotten exited out of' there, in which scenario Brian's remains may be in there to this day.
* Needless to say, the fact that Brian's body/remains never turned up outside the building, and the fact that there is not a shred of solid evidence he was ever outside the building after he was last seen there, are not suggestive that he ever left the building.
* You state "they acknowledge...it wasn’t “dug up” to a depth that would conceal a body." I've never heard that! That's huge. Who is the 'they' to whom you refer or quote? Can you provide a link - that would be helpful. Thx.

Last edited:
I agree that it is useful to study the early days of the case. Have done such studying myself. A few thoughts:
* Det. Hurst a few months back suggested (I'd encourage anyone interested in the case to listen to his comments in the podcast) that Brian had likely entered the 'completely dug up' construction area and had 'most likely gotten exited out' of it. Not 'definitely'. Rather, 'most likely'. I think we can conclude from Det. Hurst's comments that he believes it possible that Brian Shaffer may not have 'gotten exited out of' there, in which scenario Brian's remains may be in there to this day.
* Needless to say, the fact that Brian's body/remains never turned up outside the building, and the fact that there is not a shred of solid evidence he was ever outside the building after he was last seen there, are not suggestive that he ever left the building.
* You state "they acknowledge...it wasn’t “dug up” to a depth that would conceal a body." I've never heard that! That's huge. Who is the 'they' to whom you refer or quote? Can you provide a link - that would be helpful. Thx.
Hey, yes, I listened to Detective Hurst’s interview on that podcast when it came out. It was helpful and interesting. And I appreciate your comments. To me, on the podcast, it seems like he was acknowledging anything is possible, more than suggesting he himself believes Brian is buried there. Do you agree? I would have to go back and check the transcript to be sure.

And as for LE and Randy and Alexis seemingly not thinking he was buried there, I was referencing my memory of several interviews with LE, Randy, Alexis and the PI; not an exact quote. I remember them communicating a few things—all of these are paraphrases: That the construction area at the time had level pathways that employees regularly used, that it shouldn’t be construed as a dangerous construction site where people could have fallen in deep pits etc. I also remember someone communicating that it was their strong belief the stage of construction didn’t allow for the possibility of concealment before they searched it.

I am not saying that each of these people 100% ruled out that there was any remote chance Brian could be in the building. But I am saying, based on their observations, they didn’t think that was likely and instead they spent their time searching and canvassing the neighborhood rather than fighting to have additional searches of the building done. If it was my son or boyfriend, and I was devoting every day of my life to finding him like they were, I would sure as heck be raising hell and bringing down scrutiny on that building if I thought there was any chance my son or boyfriend might be buried there. I think they would’ve too.

But let me be clear. I am not asking anyone to take my recollection of their impressions as truth though. I do think, with some digging, some of those articles could be recovered. I and others have cited many articles in the previous threads so it’s possible 1 of those contains some quotes along these lines. It’s also possible some other Websleuthers who have been watching the case for a while remember the same thing or can point to an article about the same thing.

When I get time, I will see if I can find any cached backups of old articles online, but I fear that someone may need to go do a microfiche or archives search at the Columbus Public Library.

But even better maybe would be to reach out to some of these detectives, including Hurst, and ask them point blank what we are debating. That someone (me) thinks they stated they didn’t seem to believe he could be buried there at the time, but a comment he made on the podcast led us to question whether he did consider that option now (or even back then).

I would love to hear what is discovered.

I don’t have time to dig up all the articles (and don’t know if I can even find them this many years later), but I’ll try to throw in articles and links where I can.

“The last location where police were able to place Shaffer was at the top of the escalator leading to the bar, and some online amateur sleuths still hold the theory that he never left the building, which was partly under construction. Hurst, though, debunked that idea.

‘We searched every nook and cranny’ of the building, including with cadaver dogs, he said.”

TADP Season 2 Episode 9 – The Mysterious Disappearance Of Brian Shaffer - The Armchair Detective Podcast (podcast)

Hey, yes, I listened to Detective Hurst’s interview on that podcast when it came out. It was helpful and interesting. And I appreciate your comments. To me, on the podcast, it seems like he was acknowledging anything is possible, more than suggesting he himself believes Brian is buried there. Do you agree? I would have to go back and check the transcript to be sure.

And as for LE and Randy and Alexis seemingly not thinking he was buried there, I was referencing my memory of several interviews with LE, Randy, Alexis and the PI; not an exact quote. I remember them communicating a few things—all of these are paraphrases: That the construction area at the time had level pathways that employees regularly used, that it shouldn’t be construed as a dangerous construction site where people could have fallen in deep pits etc. I also remember someone communicating that it was their strong belief the stage of construction didn’t allow for the possibility of concealment before they searched it.

I am not saying that each of these people 100% ruled out that there was any remote chance Brian could be in the building. But I am saying, based on their observations, they didn’t think that was likely and instead they spent their time searching and canvassing the neighborhood rather than fighting to have additional searches of the building done. If it was my son or boyfriend, and I was devoting every day of my life to finding him like they were, I would sure as heck be raising hell and bringing down scrutiny on that building if I thought there was any chance my son or boyfriend might be buried there. I think they would’ve too.

But let me be clear. I am not asking anyone to take my recollection of their impressions as truth though. I do think, with some digging, some of those articles could be recovered. I and others have cited many articles in the previous threads so it’s possible 1 of those contains some quotes along these lines. It’s also possible some other Websleuthers who have been watching the case for a while remember the same thing or can point to an article about the same thing.

When I get time, I will see if I can find any cached backups of old articles online, but I fear that someone may need to go do a microfiche or archives search at the Columbus Public Library.

But even better maybe would be to reach out to some of these detectives, including Hurst, and ask them point blank what we are debating. That someone (me) thinks they stated they didn’t seem to believe he could be buried there at the time, but a comment he made on the podcast led us to question whether he did consider that option now (or even back then).

I would love to hear what is discovered.

Well, Hurst suggested that the construction area was treacherous (difficult to navigate even sober ), and recently suggested that Brian had entered the construction area, did not rule out that Brian may not have made it out of the construction area. If the construction area was, as you suggest, not in a state where someone may have stumbled and had fill collapse in on them or otherwise have been buried in there, then why did the bother running cadaver dogs through there? They must have run cadaver dogs through there because it was 'completely dug up' as Hurst said and someone could potentially have gotten buried in there, resulting in a cadaver out of sight... So, I'm not buying the notion that the construction area wasn't dangerous and wasn't in a state where someone could have wound up buried in a collapse. Basically, I'm accepting what Hurst said, at face value. But if you manage to find a link with info to the contrary, sure would love to see it. Thx. Because I've followed the evidence and concluded that Brian's remains may well be under that building, and it really bothers me that nothing is or probably ever will be done to find out. Something of a disgrace, IMO.

Last edited:
Well, Hurst suggested that the construction area was treacherous (difficult to navigate even sober ), and recently suggested that Brian had entered the construction area, did not rule out that Brian may not have made it out of the construction area. If the construction area was, as you suggest, not in a state where someone may have stumbled and had fill collapse in on them or otherwise have been buried in there, then why did the bother running cadaver dogs through there? They must have run cadaver dogs through there because it was 'completely dug up' as Hurst said and someone could potentially have gotten buried in there, resulting in a cadaver out of sight... So, I'm not buying the notion that the construction area wasn't dangerous and wasn't in a state where someone could have wound up buried in a collapse. Basically, I'm accepting what Hurst said, at face value. But if you manage to find a link with info to the contrary, sure would love to see it. Thx. Because I've followed the evidence and concluded that Brian's remains may well be under that building, and it really bothers me that nothing is or probably ever will be done to find out. Something of a disgrace, IMO.

Yeah, did he use the word treacherous or just “difficult to navigate?”

Difficult to navigate sounds like “hard to find your way through” but not necessarily likely to get injured.

I know we may disagree. I just wanted to highlight for people coming into the case now that the original feeling of people on site seemed to eliminate that Brian had not fallen into and been concealed in the construction site. I will keep searching for links as I get time but if I can’t, I also may see if I can find a way to reach out to Detective Hurst as well.

My main point is that if investigators with cadaver dogs and family members who searched the building with Texas Eqqusearch believed he wasn’t in the building at the time, I myself don’t want to think I am somehow able to overrule them on that from a state away and sixteen years later. Their version could have mistakes, sure, but it’s still more credible than mine.

Can they find out the location of Brian's phone when it was first turned off?
Would it be any easier to track a phone than a body, is there any way it could be remotely turned back on?
Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location
"Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location
from the making-a-strong-case-for-Snowden's-fridge-logic dept
We know how much information the NSA can grab in terms of cell phone usage -- namely, calls made and received and length of conversations, along with phone and phone card metadata like IMSI and IMEI numbers. It can even grab location data, although for some reason, it claims it never does. (No matter, plenty of law enforcement agencies like gathering location data, so it's not like that information is going to waste [bleak approximation of laughter]).

According to Ryan Gallagher at Slate, the NSA, along with other agencies, are able to something most would feel to be improbable, if not impossible: track the location of cell phones even if they're turned off."

Can they find out the location of Brian's phone when it was first turned off?
Would it be any easier to track a phone than a body, is there any way it could be remotely turned back on?
Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location
"Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location
from the making-a-strong-case-for-Snowden's-fridge-logic dept
We know how much information the NSA can grab in terms of cell phone usage -- namely, calls made and received and length of conversations, along with phone and phone card metadata like IMSI and IMEI numbers. It can even grab location data, although for some reason, it claims it never does. (No matter, plenty of law enforcement agencies like gathering location data, so it's not like that information is going to waste [bleak approximation of laughter]).

According to Ryan Gallagher at Slate, the NSA, along with other agencies, are able to something most would feel to be improbable, if not impossible: track the location of cell phones even if they're turned off."
I’ve wondered about that as well. Also about his phone records, i.e., his communications before and around the time he disappeared . I don’t recall any information ever released about that.

Missing Pieces Episode 64 Archive
Guest: Randy Shaffer
Father of missing "Brian Randall Shaffer"
shapes.dll

Aired: October 23, 2007
RANDY:
Both bars told both told all their employees, which I never understood. Do not talk to anybody about this situation. If you do, you will be fired.

TODD: That would almost make you believe, ok, they are trying to hide something. It leads to that.

RANDY: That's actually what I kind of thought of the Ugly Tuna and I will tell you, when Texas EquuSearch came just recently to search, they wanted to see the bar. So we went down to the bar. They had heard rumors there was going to be lots of people here, like 3,000-4,000. And I think they heard that from they did a search in Canton, the one girl that had been murdered. And there were like, a ton of people, maybe 4 or 5,000 people that showed up to help with that. That's all they heard. Tim Miller just looked at them. He's the guy that handles the stuff for Texas EquuSearch. No, we're just here having lunch. We just wanted to see the place where Brian disappeared. There is not going to be 4,000 people. They were all nervous, and then all of a sudden there comes the Gateway Campus people. We weren't' told about this, what's going on here? What's to tell?? We're not doing anything, we're having lunch. (Laughing) So I don't know. Those people from the start, Gateway Campus Security, I mean when Brian disappeared and I went down there with fliers, Kevin Miles eventually got us more fliers, he's the president of CrimeStoppers. They came out. I wasn't there at the time. They came out and told my son Derek they could not put up fliers on the poles right out in front of the courtyard area where this all occurred at. That was against their policy. I called Kevin Miles up and he's such a great guy. He said don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. He goes down there and says this guy is missing his son and he wants to put up fliers to try and find his son but that's ok, if you guys don't let him do it, I'll have Channel 10 down here and you can tell them why you won't let this guy who lost his son put up fliers. Naturally, that immediately changed their minds and everything and then they were cooperating fully, which is a bunch of and it still is. They left his fliers up for quite a while after that, maybe a month but even with Texas Equusearch, I asked if I could put a few fliers up. Do you think they could leave them up in the bar? No. They are down already because I went down there last weekend. I haven't done this for a while. I just got a thought in my head that I wanted to go down for whatever reason. It was late. It was like 12:30 at night. I went down there and walked out on the courtyard. The same people, you know, beautiful girls with skirts up to their *advertiser censored*. Excuse me, but that's the way it was and I don't understand that sometimes. And I went up to the bar it's kind of crowded up there and everything you know and no fliers. I wanted to check and see if they were up but they weren't.

TODD: You know, I guess a bar doesn't want to be known for the last place someone was seen but that takes away the humanity of things as well. You see that they should.

RANDY: Unfortunately, the bottom line is it's all about money...

TODD: Uh huh.

RANDY: We don't want people to know about this. We want to push this under the carpet because that will hurt our business and everything, as far as people coming in there... As for rumors, they don't have a very good reputation. They say a lot of things say bad things happen at the Ugly Tuna Saloona.

TODD: They don't want to be under a microscope, is the way it sounds.

RANDY: Yeah, actually the guy that has been putting Brian on the side of racing cars for me and everything. He's a super guy. His name is Martin Ray. He just came out of the blue and wanted to help. In fact he's going to have Brian on a truck in the race in Georgia this coming weekend, this Friday I think. It's the NASCAR Craftsmanship Truck Race, which should be super. But he also plays in a band, he plays drums and he called and wanted to see if they would let me do a fundraiser there, bring some bands. He calls them up and do you know what the first thing he said to them, "we cooperated with the police as much as we can, wait a minute!" I just wanted to talk to you about getting a couple bands there to perform for Brian. I don't care what the police have done or what you've done with the police. The guy got all wound up, like you know, I don't know. I mean, there are several people because of the area and I'm not going to say too much about who, other than the bar. They would kind of like this pushed under the rug. More than Brian that has disappeared in that area from Ohio State as a matter of fact. So it's not just one, it's about 3 people I think.

TODD: Really?

RANDY: And it continues to happen. Seems like there is always stuff going on. There was a girl that was raped not too long about. One thing, when I went down there that night there were 5 policemen there and one I knew very well because he was the one that was there the night, when I've been down there several times. I've been down there at 3 o'clock in the morning several times and talk to a lot of people. He told me that the Sky Bar, which is the one directly across from the courtyard from the Ugly Tuna, that a lot of bad things were happening there now. Said it wasn't too long ago there was a shooting in the parking garage right behind there where someone was killed. It's not a nice area. It looks all pretty on High Street but just to the east, it's not very pretty. There are drugs and all kinds of stuff just east of there. It's a low income area. There's a lot of bad things happen over there. In fact, when I did a search over there, High Street is where the bar is but if you head east, I think the next street is, I was going to say it was Summit but that might not be right; two streets over, no, the first street, take that back I think that was Summit. We went to that street, there were people driving back, some black people said do NOT cross over there. Stay where you are at because you might get killed.

TODD: Wow!

RANDY: And you go to the West and it's the Ohio State Campus. You will lose your life if you go over there, good chance of it."

"TODD: its good thing the college didn't take the same stand as the bar. A lot of colleges don't want to be known as a good place to go missing

RANDY: I know. I'll tell you something else a lot of people don't know. There is a, I'm trying to think how to put this. There is a law against being over served but the only problem is with that if somebody is there and somebody is being over served; if the bartender continually serves that person and it's obvious the person is stone drunk, they have to call somebody to call that in. Or in other wards, nothing happens. That's what happens. There is a handful of people that handle stuff like that. It's way too large of a problem for the detective departments to handle. There's only like 5 or 6 detectives that handle this. It's all over the place. How can 5 or 6 detectives handle bars all over Columbus? They can't."

In todays world it's a pre
I’ve wondered about that as well. Also about his phone records, i.e., his communications before and around the time he disappeared . I don’t recall any information ever released about that.

It's a pretty well known fact in today's world that you have to take the battery out of your phone so it can't be tracked. Brian did not have GPS so the only way for it to be some what tracked would be to see what towers it was bouncing off.

In todays world it's a pre

It's a pretty well known fact in today's world that you have to take the battery out of your phone so it can't be tracked. Brian did not have GPS so the only way for it to be some what tracked would be to see what towers it was bouncing off.
Thanks embufum. Do we know if he had text messaging? Also wouldn’t LE have been able to access his actual phone call records to see who he was in contact with before he disappeared?

Yeah, did he use the word treacherous or just “difficult to navigate?”

Difficult to navigate sounds like “hard to find your way through” but not necessarily likely to get injured.

I know we may disagree. I just wanted to highlight for people coming into the case now that the original feeling of people on site seemed to eliminate that Brian had not fallen into and been concealed in the construction site. I will keep searching for links as I get time but if I can’t, I also may see if I can find a way to reach out to Detective Hurst as well.

My main point is that if investigators with cadaver dogs and family members who searched the building with Texas Eqqusearch believed he wasn’t in the building at the time, I myself don’t want to think I am somehow able to overrule them on that from a state away and sixteen years later. Their version could have mistakes, sure, but it’s still more credible than mine.

Well, I'd think a construction area that's dug up - no, actually Det. Hurst characterized it as completely dug up - would qualify as difficult to navigate. You know, walking around holes, if you can see them. Sounds treacherous to me.

And cadaver dogs are not reliable. I've posted prior with analysis on that.

Hope you can find those links.

shapes.dll

RANDY:
Both bars told both told all their employees, which I never understood. Do not talk to anybody about this situation. If you do, you will be fired.

TODD: That would almost make you believe, ok, they are trying to hide something. It leads to that.

RANDY: That's actually what I kind of thought of the Ugly Tuna and I will tell you, when Texas EquuSearch came just recently to search, they wanted to see the bar. So we went down to the bar. They had heard rumors there was going to be lots of people here, like 3,000-4,000. And I think they heard that from they did a search in Canton, the one girl that had been murdered. And there were like, a ton of people, maybe 4 or 5,000 people that showed up to help with that. That's all they heard. Tim Miller just looked at them. He's the guy that handles the stuff for Texas EquuSearch. No, we're just here having lunch. We just wanted to see the place where Brian disappeared. There is not going to be 4,000 people. They were all nervous, and then all of a sudden there comes the Gateway Campus people. We weren't' told about this, what's going on here? What's to tell?? We're not doing anything, we're having lunch. (Laughing) So I don't know. Those people from the start, Gateway Campus Security, I mean when Brian disappeared and I went down there with fliers, Kevin Miles eventually got us more fliers, he's the president of CrimeStoppers. They came out. I wasn't there at the time. They came out and told my son Derek they could not put up fliers on the poles right out in front of the courtyard area where this all occurred at. That was against their policy. I called Kevin Miles up and he's such a great guy. He said don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. He goes down there and says this guy is missing his son and he wants to put up fliers to try and find his son but that's ok, if you guys don't let him do it, I'll have Channel 10 down here and you can tell them why you won't let this guy who lost his son put up fliers. Naturally, that immediately changed their minds and everything and then they were cooperating fully, which is a bunch of ******** and it still is. They left his fliers up for quite a while after that, maybe a month but even with Texas Equusearch, I asked if I could put a few fliers up. Do you think they could leave them up in the bar? No. They are down already because I went down there last weekend. I haven't done this for a while. I just got a thought in my head that I wanted to go down for whatever reason. It was late. It was like 12:30 at night. I went down there and walked out on the courtyard. The same people, you know, beautiful girls with skirts up to their *advertiser censored*. Excuse me, but that's the way it was and I don't understand that sometimes. And I went up to the bar it's kind of crowded up there and everything you know and no fliers. I wanted to check and see if they were up but they weren't.

TODD: You know, I guess a bar doesn't want to be known for the last place someone was seen but that takes away the humanity of things as well. You see that they should.

RANDY: We don't want people to know about this. We want to push this under the carpet because that will hurt our business and everything, as far as people coming in there... As for rumors, they don't have a very good reputation. They say a lot of things say bad things happen at the Ugly Tuna Saloona.

RANDY: Yeah, actually the guy that has been putting Brian on the side of racing cars for me and everything. He's a super guy. His name is Martin Ray. He just came out of the blue and wanted to help. In fact he's going to have Brian on a truck in the race in Georgia this coming weekend, this Friday I think. It's the NASCAR Craftsmanship Truck Race, which should be super. But he also plays in a band, he plays drums and he called and wanted to see if they would let me do a fundraiser there, bring some bands. He calls them up and do you know what the first thing he said to them, "we cooperated with the police as much as we can, wait a minute!" I just wanted to talk to you about getting a couple bands there to perform for Brian. I don't care what the police have done or what you've done with the police. The guy got all wound up, like you know, I don't know. I mean, there are several people because of the area and I'm not going to say too much about who, other than the bar. They would kind of like this pushed under the rug. More than Brian that has disappeared in that area from Ohio State as a matter of fact. So it's not just one, it's about 3 people I think.

RANDY: And it continues to happen. Seems like there is always stuff going on. There was a girl that was raped not too long about. One thing, when I went down there that night there were 5 policemen there and one I knew very well because he was the one that was there the night, when I've been down there several times. I've been down there at 3 o'clock in the morning several times and talk to a lot of people. He told me that the Sky Bar, which is the one directly across from the courtyard from the Ugly Tuna, that a lot of bad things were happening there now. Said it wasn't too long ago there was a shooting in the parking garage right behind there where someone was killed. It's not a nice area. It looks all pretty on High Street but just to the east, it's not very pretty. There are drugs and all kinds of stuff just east of there. It's a low income area. There's a lot of bad things happen over there. In fact, when I did a search over there, High Street is where the bar is but if you head east, I think the next street is, I was going to say it was Summit but that might not be right; two streets over, no, the first street, take that back I think that was Summit. We went to that street, there were people driving back, some black people said do NOT cross over there. Stay where you are at because you might get killed.

RANDY: And you go to the West and it's the Ohio State Campus. You will lose your life if you go over there, good chance of it."

"TODD: its good thing the college didn't take the same stand as the bar. A lot of colleges don't want to be known as a good place to go missing

RANDY: I know. I'll tell you something else a lot of people don't know. There is a, I'm trying to think how to put this. There is a law against being over served but the only problem is with that if somebody is there and somebody is being over served; if the bartender continually serves that person and it's obvious the person is stone drunk, they have to call somebody to call that in. Or in other wards, nothing happens. That's what happens. There is a handful of people that handle stuff like that. It's way too large of a problem for the detective departments to handle. There's only like 5 or 6 detectives that handle this. It's all over the place. How can 5 or 6 detectives handle bars all over Columbus? They can't."

Thanks for posting this. It's very thought-provoking.

shapes.dll

RANDY:

RANDY: That's actually what I kind of thought of the Ugly Tuna and I will tell you, when Texas EquuSearch came just recently to search, they wanted to see the bar. So we went down to the bar. They had heard rumors there was going to be lots of people here, like 3,000-4,000. And I think they heard that from they did a search in Canton, the one girl that had been murdered. And there were like, a ton of people, maybe 4 or 5,000 people that showed up to help with that. That's all they heard. Tim Miller just looked at them. He's the guy that handles the stuff for Texas EquuSearch. No, we're just here having lunch. We just wanted to see the place where Brian disappeared. There is not going to be 4,000 people. They were all nervous, and then all of a sudden there comes the Gateway Campus people. We weren't' told about this, what's going on here? What's to tell?? We're not doing anything, we're having lunch. (Laughing) So I don't know. Those people from the start, Gateway Campus Security, I mean when Brian disappeared and I went down there with fliers, Kevin Miles eventually got us more fliers, he's the president of CrimeStoppers. They came out. I wasn't there at the time. They came out and told my son Derek they could not put up fliers on the poles right out in front of the courtyard area where this all occurred at. That was against their policy. I called Kevin Miles up and he's such a great guy. He said don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. He goes down there and says this guy is missing his son and he wants to put up fliers to try and find his son but that's ok, if you guys don't let him do it, I'll have Channel 10 down here and you can tell them why you won't let this guy who lost his son put up fliers. Naturally, that immediately changed their minds and everything and then they were cooperating fully, which is a bunch of ******** and it still is. They left his fliers up for quite a while after that, maybe a month but even with Texas Equusearch, I asked if I could put a few fliers up. Do you think they could leave them up in the bar? No. They are down already because I went down there last weekend. I haven't done this for a while. I just got a thought in my head that I wanted to go down for whatever reason. It was late. It was like 12:30 at night. I went down there and walked out on the courtyard. The same people, you know, beautiful girls with skirts up to their *advertiser censored*. Excuse me, but that's the way it was and I don't understand that sometimes. And I went up to the bar it's kind of crowded up there and everything you know and no fliers. I wanted to check and see if they were up but they weren't.

Thanks for this dotr, even though I read this a while back I had totally forgotten about it. It sure makes one think, doesn’t it? Perhaps Brian left and did in fact fall victim to foul play after he left the bar. If so it’s possible he left with someone and something happened away from the immediate area. Or if something happened to him in that general area his body was removed, possibly to a location away from there where the searchers wouldn’t find him. He could be anywhere.
I will always wonder what his reason was for giving Clint and Meredith the slip, which is what I believe he did. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam