Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

it is obvious from the pictures that the bus hit the truck trailer, not the cab, and the truck did not hit the bus, the bus hit the truck,

there is little to no damage to the truck cab, and zero damage to the front of the truck cab, this is why the truck driver was not injured, and the front end of the bus is destroyed,

i think the truck stopped at the stop sign, then tried to proceed through the intersection but couldn't go fast enough through to have the trailer clear the intersection on time, keep in mind it was a double trailer,

if my theory is correct then i think the bus driver deserves some of the blame for not being able to yield or stop on time,

the truck driver must have misjudged the speed of the bus, would be interesting to know how fast the bus was going

in any traffic school you are taught to always expect a stopped vehicle to pull out in front of you, that way you are always prepared

The truck ran the stop sign. That’s the only way that the vehicles could have ended up where they were. If the truck was accelerating at low speed through the intersection there is no way that the bus ended up where it did, west of the intersection. The physics have been obvious since day 1

for what its worth,

had a night out with a bunch of buddies last week, three of them are truckers,

their thinking is the truck driver didn't see the bus, and went through the stop sign on purpose,

they said truckers in rural areas like that do it all the time, especially on flat land like that, they look left and right and if there are no vehicles they go right through the stop signs,

i asked why,

they said stopping a large truck like that at a stop sign and getting it back up to speed through 18 gears can add about 10-15 mins to your trip time for every stop sign you come to, which i guess makes sense

and this truck was extra heavy and large being a double trailer

I would agree with that thinking. It's just like not stopping a bicycle and unclipping before crossing a major highway when you can see no traffic approaching from either side. Losing momentum driving a truck is the same as losing momentum riding a bicycle.

The only thing the Mounties have said to this point is that the truck was in the intersection when the collision occurred."

kind of a silly comment.....of course it was.....the bus was also in the intersection when the crash occurred,

if either one of them were not there, there wouldn't be an accident!

Canadian junior ice hockey team the Humboldt Broncos have played their first game since 16 people, including players and coaches, died in a bus crash in April.

It was an emotional night at the Elgar Petersen Arena, as tributes were paid to those that died and 13 others who were injured.

The Broncos lost 2-1 to Nipawin Hawks - the team they were travelling to play when a lorry collided with their team bus on a rural road in the province of Saskatchewan.

Humboldt Broncos: Canadian junior ice hockey team play first game since fatal bus crash

I wish the Broncos the very best for the season.

Canadian junior ice hockey team the Humboldt Broncos have played their first game since 16 people, including players and coaches, died in a bus crash in April.

It was an emotional night at the Elgar Petersen Arena, as tributes were paid to those that died and 13 others who were injured.

The Broncos lost 2-1 to Nipawin Hawks - the team they were travelling to play when a lorry collided with their team bus on a rural road in the province of Saskatchewan.

Humboldt Broncos: Canadian junior ice hockey team play first game since fatal bus crash

I wish the Broncos the very best for the season.

Good to see you posting here Greg. I know this hit you hard, as it did so many of us. Thanks for keeping a focus on this.

Some parallels in this accident MANDEL: Transport driver in deadly Hwy. 401 crash told police he saw no construction signs
Plus a language barrier (I dont understand how a person passes a Canadian drivers test without knowing English)

(Quote of Police officer Lindsay ) .... When Lindsay returned and tried to take his statement, she realized Saini spoke Punjabi and little English. She put out a call for an officer who could communicate in his language and Const. Zafar Kazmi arrived at about 11:30 p.m.

Witness saw truck swerving ...... thought the driver was falling asleep MANDEL: Witness worried trucker had fallen asleep just before killer crash on Hwy. 401

(Yesterday) truck driver found guilty on multiple counts of dangerous driving Truck driver found guilty in multi-vehicle collision that killed 4, injured 11 | CBC News

Some parallels in this accident MANDEL: Transport driver in deadly Hwy. 401 crash told police he saw no construction signs
Plus a language barrier (I dont understand how a person passes a Canadian drivers test without knowing English)

(Quote of Police officer Lindsay ) .... When Lindsay returned and tried to take his statement, she realized Saini spoke Punjabi and little English. She put out a call for an officer who could communicate in his language and Const. Zafar Kazmi arrived at about 11:30 p.m.

Witness saw truck swerving ...... thought the driver was falling asleep MANDEL: Witness worried trucker had fallen asleep just before killer crash on Hwy. 401

(Yesterday) truck driver found guilty on multiple counts of dangerous driving Truck driver found guilty in multi-vehicle collision that killed 4, injured 11 | CBC News

Thanks for sharing that. I don’t understand how someone can pass a drivers test without understanding English either, unless he just chose to be uncooperative with the initial responding officer.

His unsuccessful defense was that he suffered from sleep apnea. That one’s a strikeout, if that’s what JS has in mind.

Trucker in fatal 401 crash awaits judgment as trial winds down
“During the trial Rippell called as a witness an expert in sleep medicine who testified Saini, 72, at the time of the crash, suffers from sleep apnea, a condition that causes sleep disturbances and can result in fatigue. The expert testified that although Saini was able during testing to maintain wakefulness, he is also “more sleepy than most people,” and likely lost awareness due to a “micro sleep” episode just prior to the crash.

Saini told police he’d not lost consciousness, but may simply not have been aware he’d briefly fallen asleep at the wheel, the expert said...”

(Quote of Police officer Lindsay ) .... When Lindsay returned and tried to take his statement, she realized Saini spoke Punjabi and little English.

Here in the UK there has been a problem for many years with driving tests undertaken by Asians, especially immigrants. Essentially there are organised scams whereby some individuals who are already licenced drivers take the test for others in return for payment. The former will be English speaking even if the latter are not.

Driving exam conmen JAILED over £2k-a-time test scam
Unmasking the driving test cheats
Dozens use driving test stand-ins
Driving test fraudsters jailed for 'ridiculously unsophisticated' scam
Fraudsters putting THOUSANDS of unqualified drivers on Britain's roads - and putting your life at risk
Driving Test Fraud | DVSA Counter Fraud & Investigations

The DVLA has a phone number for reporting suspected driver test frauds:

Report someone impersonating driving test candidates

This is a general cultural issue in some immigrant communities so it's very possible it's happening in Canada as well.

Here in the UK there has been a problem for many years with driving tests undertaken by Asians, especially immigrants. Essentially there are organised scams whereby some individuals who are already licenced drivers take the test for others in return for payment. The former will be English speaking even if the latter are not.

Driving exam conmen JAILED over £2k-a-time test scam
Unmasking the driving test cheats
Dozens use driving test stand-ins
Driving test fraudsters jailed for 'ridiculously unsophisticated' scam
Fraudsters putting THOUSANDS of unqualified drivers on Britain's roads - and putting your life at risk
Driving Test Fraud | DVSA Counter Fraud & Investigations

The DVLA has a phone number for reporting suspected driver test frauds:

Report someone impersonating driving test candidates

This is a general cultural issue in some immigrant communities so it's very possible it's happening in Canada as well.

I’d bet LE is taking a close look at how truck drivers involved in these devastating accidents originally obtained their licences.

This fraud involving licensing by a trucking school happened a few years ago in Calgary, same city where the trucking company and driver involved in the Humboldt crash are from. In Alberta, licensing has been privatized.
Calgary driving school charged with fraud - Truck News

We don’t deserve doggos but I’m sure glad they grace us with their loyal presence. ❤️

'He'll be right by my side' : Service dog to help Humboldt crash survivor with PTSD | CBC News

As a billet mom and former puppy raiser for 2 different service dog organizations (16 puppies in total), the above story brought tears of happiness. I KNOW just how much these dogs help people and I know how much work is involved in getting them to the point of being matched. Kudos to the puppyraisers and service dog organization!!!!! So happy to hear 3 dogs will be placed with survivors to help them deal with PTSD. Those young men witnessed things no teenager should ever have to see/hear and I am thrilled to know they will have a partner beside them all the time to help them heal.

Humboldt Broncos player Layne Matechuk leaves hospital after 6 month stay

Six months after the Humboldt Broncos bus tragedy, defenceman Layne Matechukwalked through the doors of Saskatoon’s City Hospital to return home for good.

The 18-year-old is still working to regain mobility on the right side of his body, but his speech is improving every day, according to his older sister and best friend Carley Matechuk.

Humboldt Broncos player Layne Matechuk leaves hospital after 6 month stay

Wishing the Matechuk family a wonderful, loving and hopeful Thanksgiving.
Many of us are with you in spirit.

I'm thinking of all the victims families as they face their first Canadian Thanksgiving without their loved ones. I hope the survivors are coping and are able to spend time with their families during the holiday.

It is the six month anniversary of the crash today everyone and everyone affected continues to be in my prayers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back