Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see the judge and especially hear the District Attorney . I hope they don't show too much of Mollie's family. One reporter said that 20 members of her family and other loved ones are expected to be there. I will find the link.

Here's a link to CBS livestream: (on in 12 minutes)

Wow. Nice tie. Notice the sheriff eyeballing him as he stated his argument about media being allowed in court room. Might be prejudicial, people may form opinions about him being a bad guy! Also notice the fiancee there with the baby. Sympathy, perhaps?

Can someone explain how a person with a ICE hold can be bonded out AND be on the streets? I expected to hear the Judge tell him OK 5M bond - cash and oh by the way if you bond out of our jail there is an ICE order for you that compells us to hand you over to FEDS until the time of your trial.

WHY didn't that happen?
Can bond be denied in Iowa? Confused as well...

I am reminded of Diana Alvarez’ case. Iirc the perp was a farm worker...did he also say he blacked out, or am I confusing this with another case? Tia.

:lookingitup:
I am local to that case. I do not recall that he blacked out. He has just refused to discuss with LE but did talk to a cell mate about what he did.

Can someone explain how a person with a ICE hold can be bonded out AND be on the streets? I expected to hear the Judge tell him OK 5M bond - cash and oh by the way if you bond out of our jail there is an ICE order for you that compells us to hand you over to FEDS until the time of your trial.

WHY didn't that happen?
Well, he's not going to come up with $5million in cash. But, there were also conditions the judge stated. He has to meet those conditions to be released from jail. He won't come up with the money and he won't make those conditions.

He's not going anywhere.

jmo

Makes sense to me. The court reporter can only translate what is said in court. His own translator could clarify, explain, answer questions.

What a specialized job these translators have!! Just being able to listen and instantly translate blows my tiny brain. I can't even type if someone is talking to me.

jmo
And I wonder if they will need two court reporters - one native in Spanish for the trial transcript? that will be expensive for the state. The bond also carried restrictions beyond payment of the 5 million cash.

Makes sense to me. The court reporter can only translate what is said in court. His own translator could clarify, explain, answer questions.

What a specialized job these translators have!! Just being able to listen and instantly translate blows my tiny brain. I can't even type if someone is talking to me.

jmo
Agreed. I used to translate for doctors at a clinic I worked at. Ocassionally we would get DOC inmates in, it was VERY uncomfortable. Once I went in to translate and there were 5 guards for 1 inmate. Made me wonder what he had done.

I don’t know

My fear is that this case is being used and that someone will post that 5 million and we will never see him again

He already has a private attorney who is running for a Supreme Court seat
I think, even if he makes bond, the moment his feet hit the ground, he is picked up on the ICE detainer and placed in a detention facility.

I am local to that case. I do not recall that he blacked out. He has just refused to discuss with LE but did talk to a cell mate about what he did.
(Thanks, it’s bugging me to death, there was another similar case where the defendant said he blacked out and I can’t seem to remember it for the life of me. )

ETA: I’m looking at Diana’s case, and noticing the perp admitted to smoking meth. I wonder if this perp smokes meth as well?

Caddy? A small storage container or someone who carries golf clubs? I know "rodeo" is a figure of speech. This young woman is dead. It is NOT a rodeo. imo. I was trying to give her respect.
I thought the old saying was "don't be catty."doesn't really matter

I don’t know

My fear is that this case is being used and that someone will post that 5 million and we will never see him again

I don't see how any group, no matter what, would bail out and support a guy who admitted to murder. That's a bit much.

But im also not sure how he's got such a good private atty. I doubt it will matter.

I don’t know

He can’t meet the conditions for release, because of his immigration issues. Doesn’t matter if they do find $5mil cash.

I don’t know

1. No one is going to post 5 million. As they say this guy doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together.
2. That attorney is 'running' (he filed for a position) along without like 20 others for one vacancy. He has about as much chance as someone posting 5 million in bail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong