Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not even sure they WERE migrant workers. Sounds to me more likely there were just a few employees who may have been non citizens.

They live in a farmhouse on the property; I think the number quoted was 15 (migrant workers).

Not making any excuses for the suspect, but the attorney has a point.

I would not want to be a defendant in a case that becomes super-charged politically, and this case rocketed to the top.

If CR had not confessed and shown LE where Mollie was located, then maybe I could see your point. But from my chair, CR opened the barn door and his attorney can't close it now. No matter how he tries to wiggle and spin.

We can't discuss the particulars of this case and I see a tight rope for us coming because the Defense in the first five minutes began to use politics as part of his defense - he didn't just try to get a gag order and the media barred by claiming bias, he also said something about "political payback"

What was he talking about? Got to be something specific to IA right? This is an IA murder case after all. I fear he is trying to reach out and make broad stroke allegations to advance his effort to make time go in reverse and allow him to paint an entirely different scenario/set of circumstances...

He literally tried to omit pertinent information delivered to him by this Magistrate Judge in order to advance his desired goal!

he did it because hes an animal. there are plenty of undocumented ppl who don't go killing ppl to avoid deportation. its not an opinion, its a fact. hes a sicko who deserves prison, I think we can agree on that.
Yes, certainly fear of deportation would not be the motive. Why would he put himself in a position where his identity would be found out? Just so he can spend the rest of his life in a prison in America?

I did some more FB sleuthing in case someone wants to know more about this .

1. He studied in Mexico up until high school level (Preparatoria 35 is literally Prep school). Exact age he left? No idea. He might have dropped out and moved to the US.

<modsnip: You may sleuth social media of the accused but NOT his gf or other contacts>

4. All his interactions on FB are in Spanish. I'm sure he spoke some English after several years in the US but definitely not enough to understand what is said in a court proceeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of statement from Yarrabee Farms...
This individual has worked at our farms for four years, was vetted through the government's E-Verify system, and was an employee in good standing. On Monday, the authorities visited our farm and talked to our employees. We have cooperated fully with their investigation.

Yarrabee Farms follows all laws related to verifying employees are legal to work in the United States, and we regularly seek outside counsel to ensure we stay up-to-date on employment law matters. We keep records on all employees and have shared that information with authorities.

Does everyone have to go on national TV?

If I were this agribusiness owner, I would grab a lawyer ASAP, and never appear on media. I could be wrong, but seems to me he needs to worry about liability.

Apparently some of the business owners family knows Mollie and her brothers; so protecting the business image might not be an option.

I don't know for certain, but I am guessing the defense attorney has been appointed by the court. This guy is in private practice but possibly a contract attorney for the public defender office. You see that a lot in rural areas.

If you look at his Facebook page, he has close relatives who live in Tama, Iowa (not far from Brooklyn). My guess is that they have retained legal counsel for this individual. I don't want to bring his family into this so I'll leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Appointed by the court - no. The Magistrate Judge clearly said he was being represented during this bond hearing by Mr. Richard and asked CR if he wanted the court to appoint an attorney - he said no.

So the options are:
CR has the resources to hire a private attorney.
A third party has hired Mr Richard to represent CR
Mr Richard approached CR and offered to rep him pro bono (AKA free) or via mutually agreed terms.

LE has been extremely careful through this entire investigation.
I expect that care will be given to every aspect of this arrest/trial.
The prosecution will be careful

He has a lawyer. He has a translator. That is good (whether he needs one or not). Cover all bases.

Talking heads said yesterday that there could be a wealth of evidence at the crime scene, UNDER the body. Protected from the weather.
He isn't going anywhere except to prison
I bet there is evidence under there too! Especially since this guy is not to bright.

Considering the fact that Magistrate Judge Diane Crookham-Johnson raised CR's bond to a whopping $5 million cash per request of Assistant attorney general Scott Brown citing the "heinous" nature of the crime ~ Does anyone now think that the public in and around Brooklyn, IA, was ever in any personal danger?

Totally agreed.

If he gave fake info how did it match when they put it in the system? This monster has affected so many families and now a business. Prayers for strength and honesty from all.
Did he go by a totally different name on the job?
He said he gave a SS card. Wouldn't give the name he told them when reporter asked.

They said they are receiving death threats.

[QUOTE="

I have a question about this attorney - he is from TAMA, IA which is in a different county. And is a private attorney. Anyone have any idea how CR actually found him? And who would be paying his bill?

It bothers me because I worry about who might be following this case and see this as some sort of test case and offer to bail CR out of jail.
I don't know for certain, but I am guessing the defense attorney has been appointed by the court. This guy is in private practice but possibly a contract attorney for the public defender office. You see that a lot in rural areas.[/QUOTE]
"Who would be paying his attorney bill?" Great Question-
Hmmm. Who would benefit by clearing this guy of criminal
charges? Who would have problems if it comes out this illegal
immigrant is found guilty? Follow the money.
My guess at this time is that his employer is footing the bill or
an agricultural organization that employs undocumented
workers. Lots of money behind employers of undocumented
workers and they scream and howl when people start deporting
their employees. Follow the $$$$.

Yes, certainly fear of deportation would not be the motive. Why would he put himself in a position where his identity would be found out? Just so he can spend the rest of his life in a prison in America?

Especially when if she actually said she would call the cops if he didn't leave her alone, if he was THAT worried about her calling the cops, he could have just left her alone... thus preventing her from calling the cops. He wanted to do what he did, that was his motive. He didn't have to kill her to stop her from calling the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea