IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I feel bad for the Yarrabee Farms employee verification person. Any place I've ever worked I've had to use Everify.

yes, from the particulars it sounds like they only hire a few folk very infrequently and they thought they were doing it right. It just goes to prove we need something in place that folks can easily understand which communicates with other FED agencies in the loop. IRS and E verify databases need to talk to each other!

Was CR's girlfriend and baby living in the farmhouse with all the other workers, does anyone know? Were girlfriends/wives able to reside there also. I read somewhere upthread that there were 15 living in the provided home on the farm property.

Mollie Tibbetts investigation: Chevy Malibu seen in surveillance video not registered to suspect Rivera, source says
The owner wouldn’t be liable as they would have been unaware that the car was being used in a crime. Even then I don’t think there’s a law that implicates owners, as accessory crimes (before and after) cover that, and that person has to be aware that a crime occurred or was going to occur.
Basically then, the same legal principles would apply to his employers, Yarabee Farms, as to any civil legal resposibility ?

But wouldn't they have already known this?
i would think so, yes. i'm just saying since we now know it was a homicide and he attacked her while she was running, the point that it stopped is almost certainly time of death or within a few minutes at least. As opposed to the other theories floating around of the fitbit being taken off her, discarded somewhere, and then she being taken somewhere else, etc. so in that case lack of heart rate wouldn't necessarily mean death. But we know it does and it's a strong solid point for the prosecutors to have, jmo.

Gag order denied. This should be the lead imo.

"A Poweshiek District Court Judge on Wednesday denied the gag order request."

I hate to even link to the article because of the spin of the title but here goes...
Mollie Tibbetts’ accused killer is in Iowa legally, his lawyer says, calling Trump 'sad and sorry' for weighing in

I find it interesting that a defense attorney is trying to drag politics into this heinous crime. He seems to making a bad situation even worse for his own client. Did the court appoint him? Does anyone know?

No they don’t. The best we hope for is justice. But of course it doesn’t bring the victim back, so it’s a small measure of satisfaction at best. There’s no happy endings in cases like this, simply the silver lining that there will be no more people victimized by the captured perpetrator (hopefully).
You could say that we’re dedicated to the “containment of evil.” So many of these criminals are multiple time offenders. By supporting the victim’s family and providing additional information to LE, we are hopefully preventing others from becoming victims. Maybe one at a time, maybe not being able to save the original victim. But our efforts are investments in the future prevention of horrible crimes, like what happened to Mollie. I think we can be another shining light cast upon a dark and dangerous world.
BTW, I’m a first-time poster but a long-term observer. Please be kind to me!

It appears many don't understand the workings of the agricultural business. I suggest it be researched, especially regarding where stones are being cast and why...

yes, from the particulars it sounds like they only hire a few folk very infrequently and they thought they were doing it right. It just goes to prove we need something in place that folks can easily understand which communicates with other FED agencies in the loop. IRS and E verify databases need to talk to each other!

And hiring someone legal doesn't mean you are going to get a law abiding citizen. James DeAngelo (EAR/ONS) was a citizen, Dennis Rader (BTK) was a citizen, Ted Bundy was a citizen, etc

I didn't save the link to his FB, but wasn't his first name spelled differently there, too?

Several things.

1. In the Iowa missing persons there are several young females w dark hair missing.

2. The car was not registered to him.

3. His employer knows him by a different name.

4. His attorney stated he has the proper work papers and is in the country legally.

RE above. I have to remember defense attorneys are paid to defend their clients, to make them appear innocent, and to find alternative explanations for crimes. His attorney is beginning to do his job.

I’m wondering if CR has been verified and he is actually who he says he is.

I also wonder if he has a drivers license at all.

I’m wondering if he and his girlfriend collect federal benefits if any kind. If so what name is he using for it.

I think LE might have some surprises when they begin to look into this mans record and criminal background. And very sad the weirdos are coming out. The farm where CR has been employed us getting threats. Against their property, family and their pets.

I don’t see where any of this could be their fault. And it’s sad when a decent hard working family has a negative impact on their business.

i also wonder if the fitbit was still on her wrist or if he took it off. Either way, wonder whether police have the exact time when the fitbit stopped recording her heart rate because that will help with the timeline and obviously exact time of death. at this point i'm not sure if the autopsy would be able to pinpoint a narrow time of death. They'd be able to get it close but probably something like between such and such window of time. So the fitbit data could be extremely important.
If anything they will have the exact time she was assaulted, at least.

Well, I watched the video of the proceedings. I don't know if could do what Mr. Richards was doing. That would be tough for me.

As a side note, I felt like there was much tension in there - as one should expect. Yet the accused didn't appear to "blackout" amid all that stress. But then I am not a medical expert.:mad:

I couldn't get the contrast between CR being surrounded by LE while wearing a bullet proof vest and poor Mollie all alone on a deserted road on the outskirts of town.

Just feels to me as though we need to do more where public safety goes.

This is so heartbreaking.

I can see how even someone born in the US and has English as their first language could be overwhelmed with legal terms (or medical terms). So an interpreter is a must imo

As someone on the other thread said, you want it to get right so there are no do overs.

Justice for Mollie

Here's the press conference with the co-owners of Yarabee Farms. @1:42 is where they start explaining about the verification process they used. The verification center they used is NOT the same as E-Verify (although say they believed it was at the time). Social Security Employment Verification Service is what they used, NOT E-Verify.
Watch Replay: Yarrabee Farms holds press conference on Cristhian Rivera employment
I just watched the press conference and was upset to learn what this family is being put through. We cannot blame the employer. I would like to see the same information they had on the suspect run through E-Verify now and what results that would bring.

You could say that we’re dedicated to the “containment of evil.” So many of these criminals are multiple time offenders. By supporting the victim’s family and providing additional information to LE, we are hopefully preventing others from becoming victims. Maybe one at a time, maybe not being able to save the original victim. But our efforts are investments in the future prevention of horrible crimes, like what happened to Mollie. I think we can be another shining light cast upon a dark and dangerous world.
BTW, I’m a first-time poster but a long-term observer. Please be kind to me!
Great post, and I completely agree. We have to do what we can to minimize violence, but we also must realize that we will never be completely successful. It’s a sad reality, but not one that we should accept sitting down

Last edited:
If he knew Mollie (as in "knew of her" through an ex-gf), I wonder if he also knew she had a serious boyfriend?

Just wondering aloud - I have no conclusion to that thought.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member