IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
All valid points. The only one to blame here is CR.
But life doesn't happen in a vacuum. In any crime, there are peripheral factors.
It would be short-sighted to say that the employer doesn't matter here. They matter. They've been supporting him; and Rivera may not have been vetted according to the law.
That's not liberal thinking or conservative thinking; it's just a fact.

I am thinking this: He attempted to engage with her. She threatened to call the police and/or told him where to go. He got back in the car (which wasn't his) enraged, and gunned it hitting her. (?damage to the car). Injuries the result of this, including a head injury (bleeding - in a situation like this you would see bleeding from ears based on trauma). He then picked her up and put her in the trunk. Took her somewhere else to hide her in a panic.

I have no evidence for this right now, other than his account. The ME will be able to tell more. And certainly LE will examine the car. Very sad and discouraging.

Not a chance imo. He is playing the system and he had found an attorney just swarmy enough to help him. Officer of the court where defense attorneys goes it used to be they bent or omitted and stayed just inside the lines of truth. But now a days - I just don't know... time will tell where Mr Richards goes. I think we all need to be very mindful and alert. I fear his attorney is truly attempting to use the media to scapegoat his client.

The mainstream media needs to do their job to fully vet a story, hold firm to reporting the truth and not spin or editorialize and at the very least if they do editorialize they need to tell us they are! This will prevent a swarmy defense team from using media stories as fodder to help a criminal escape justice. IMO
there is no way this guy escapes justice IMO. the best this guy can hope for is that he stays segregated and isn't released into gen pop.

In Iowa seems that venue changes alot.

OJ was in Los Angeles., a city of 3 million and an area of what 10-12 million. Bound to be a couple million who didn't pay that much attention.

Brooklyn Iowa has 1500 residents. I would say the people in Brooklyn are a little more intimate with the protagonists.

How about a 'jury of his peers'? What qualifies as 'peers' for the suspect.

CR is being treated fairly by our system of justice. I doubt the prosecutor will have any problem with a change of venue to Des Moines or Iowa City.

This senseless murder has gotten me on edge, and I am only going to post one last thing because I still don't understand what is allowed to be discussed.
1. This person is probably a psychopath/sociopath. He probably has no more control or choice over it than any other predator. A lion needs to chase a gazelle, and will do it even if not hungry. We can't keep looking at human predators as being normal people with regular feelings who just decide one day to harm other people. It could happen if the person's brain experienced some kind of physiological change. Most of the people who are lacking basic feelings and can't resist pursuing and harming others were born that way. This person had no more choice over his behavior than the lion chasing the gazelle.

Does that idea feel uncomfortable and scary? Yes, because we want to believe everyone can be rehabbed, that this can be prevented, that you can prepare yourself and avoid it.

Does this mean I think he therefor has an excuse for his behavior and should be able to use this as a defense? No way in heck. The courts, the laboratories that process evidence, the time the LE spends on policing, the prisons all need to be used to find, process and keep this kind of person out of society. Either until they die, or until there is a treatment that can "fix" whatever is wrong with them permanently.

And these predators are all unique individuals, from all corners of the earth. I include in this definition anyone who has a compulsion, who has shown they can't stop themselves, who repeatedly return to dangerous behavior towards others. In other words, the serial predators and serial criminals who commit atrocities for their own physical desire. There is no reason to allow them to be in general society. Unfortunately, with the lack of understanding of the neurological and psychological makeup of each one, we currently would only be able to take them out of society once they show aberrant behavior.

But if all human beings everywhere would just become aware of the predatory personalities around them, and instead of allowing them access to our lives, and for sure not giving them celebrity status, the chances of what has happened here would be greatly decreased. JMHO, and I am signing off Mollie's discussion because I think she deserves to rest in peace. I just felt I had to say this on her thread because someone, somewhere, might think there is some value to what I am saying and be in a position to implement changes.

I respectfully disagree. I believe everyone - every single person drawing breath is born knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is a question ultimately of how selfish someone is. I do not believe a human being and a lion are the same species and therefore the traits and characteristics are not the same and there is no reason to compare/contrast the two. As I read most of your post it sounded like something a clever defense might try to use to minimize a person's culpability.

And specific to this case- this man - CR- adult - father of a daughter - decided to hunt an innocent 20 year old because he is EVIL. Period. I vehemently refute the argument CR was born with some sort of defective brain condition and he couldn't control himself.

CR demonstrated by his own actions he was responsible for abducting Mollie and ultimately killing her and hiding her body. What sort of lion hides his kill? They don't. Man is not on par with any beast. CR hid Mollie's body and he cruelly put her family, the community, the state of IA, and our Country through 35 days of misery, stress, and now all of those and a lifetime of grief and loss.

The translator(s) will translate exactly what is being said from one language to another. They don't do interpretation. There's one appointed by the Court for everyone to use: that person will translate what's being said for the defendant, and then also translate what the defendant says into English for the Court record.

The private translator hired by the defense will be covered by the attorney-client privilege, and the attorney can explain something in English to the translator who will translate into Spanish for the defendant. It's still the attorney's job to explain and advise the client, but the translator helps overcome the language barrier. Ideally you'd have a bilingual lawyer who could more naturally explain legal concepts to the client in their primary language. You also could have a bilingual paralegal who could serve as a translator and help explain concepts as well.
Interestingly, my son served as a translator for some of the legal actions at Gitmo during his career in the US Armed Forces. He has only recently shared that he hated this duty as he felt too much legal responsibility rested upon his interpretation of what the "client" was saying. He explained how one can always find more than one word to translate another word into the English language. The words he chose could often times help or not help a "client" sound more or less guilty or innocent. He was brilliant enough to realize he did not want to participate in any judgement before the judge's final judgement and quickly found other assignments more suited to his morals. Would that all souls be so honest. MOO.

S Gammon, He probably doesn’t fully need a translator. Could probably make out the majority, I’d guess he’s an English speaker. I’m sure it’s a safety net for the prosecution to ensure it (not understanding the process) can’t be used against them down the line through the sentencing and appeals process. Nice strategic move. I’m fine with paying for it. Insurance, if you will.

Why does he need a translator when he CLEARLY understood
Mollie saying she was going to call the cops?
After all, isn’t that why he said he blacked out...he was angry at WHAT SHE SAID?

He is a native of Mexico and English isn’t his first language. Those translators are there so that they can make sure he cannot state he didn’t understand the proceedings and therefore wasn’t able to participate in his own defense.

If it bothers people so much, try thinking of it this way. They aren’t there to benefit CR. They are there to protect Mollie’s right to justice.

I don’t know about this part and it’s confusing me! I saw a Google Earth image of the area where she was attacked (not dumped) and there were 2-3 houses right near there! This was on the MT Facebook group and I’m not sure if the same has been done here to confirm or deny that. If it’s true, then it makes it all the harder to understand exactly how the attack/kidnapping went down.
What you see from overhead can look a whole lot different at ground level. There can be small hills or vegetation that can make a big difference.

So often families state that being faced with a trial is as traumatizing as reliving the heartache all over again.

Since Rivera did confess his involvement and lead LE to the body, I agree a plea deal is a possibility. And if Mollie’s family support that, in order to avoid a trial, their wishes should be honoured.

The autopsy was to be performed today and I recall mention it may be sealed but I don’t know that as a fact. Regardless, the autopsy results will weight heavily on how this case progresses in my opinion.
I think it's possible, depending on the autopsy results Rivera might not want to go to trial and take a guilty plea.

And he didn't tie it correctly. It looked almost disrespectful to me as well as inappropriate and a means to grand stand or try to send a subliminal message. Anyway I viewed it - it was just ALL WRONG!
Definitely was a hot mess. He needs to stick to clip-ons even though those look cheap. I am looking forward to his next tie. Maybe it will have red, white and blue LED lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member