IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing that's been released gives me any thought that he held her. Sounds like he grabbed her and soon afterwards killed her.

Unless there is new that differs from what's been reported so far, I don't think he held her.

jmopinion

I'm assuming their fitbit data must lead to the amount of distance that cornfield was if she was taken anywhere else the distance she travelled would be logged and it would be a lot further. Would also think if he held her captive he would destroy her phone and fitbit. (Though I guess we don't have any confirmation he didn't).

It’s possible that she was held for a period of time, but I strongly disagree with that theory, here’s why:

Although he’s obviously decided not to reveal specific details (in a face saving effort), his story, in a general sense, rings true.

He attacks Mollie during her run, and is able to neutralize her (with a fist, a knife, or some other means).

He has to get her to an isolated location in order to sexually assault her (lack of official confirmation of rape notwithstanding). So he puts her in the trunk and drives to a secluded spot.

He carries Mollie a short distance, into the corn, where the rest of the attack occurs. He covers the body before leaving, and if he has not already, removes her phone and Fitbit, for destruction.

This type of event happens quite a bit. Joggers are frequently attacked along running routes, and dragged off the trail, into a wooded area, where they are raped and murdered. In this case, the perpetrator had his vehicle to worry about (easily visible), which necessitated him removing it and the victim from the area.

For him to take an injured Mollie to his residence (or any secondary location) is less likely than the scenario that he claims to have occurred. JMO

I don’t recall anywhere where it’s stated what year was the Chevy Malibu. Could it have been outfitted with GPS?

Rahn’s comment below could be taken a couple of ways. Either it was the CCTV that enabled LE to figure out his pattern....or otherwise once the vehicle was identified they able to “track his pattern” by records related to a tracking device??? To the corn field as well? Thoughts?

“...The footage showed her running through an area east of Brooklyn and a car moving close to her. The black Chevy Malibu drove back and forth numerous times before it just started following her, according to an affidavit.

They linked the car to Rivera and “from that we were able to track his pattern in the routes in which he took,” Rahn said.....”

Mollie Tibbetts case mystified police until a security camera offered a key clue

They had a K-9 unit. I think they are looking for the crime scene. Mollie may have been held for several days before she was murdered.
Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts died of 'multiple sharp force injuries' | Daily Mail Online

Thank you for the article.

Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts died of 'multiple sharp force injuries' | Daily Mail Online

"K-9 agent then took a dog out of a car and headed inside the building, which has a large basement according to property records."

While I guess thats not impossible I don't see anything in the evidence at this point to disprove a rage killing. Even if she wasn't dead when put in the trunk I think she was at least not conscious from being put in the the trunk. However until they give a time frame of how long they think the body has been deceased I guess its still possible she could have been held, but I feel she was no longer coherent when put in the trunk.
Yup. They don’t care what ‍♀️ I think. So I will shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:
LEO in PC this week said CR admitted to having seen MT running before, and he did stalk her that evening, is on video driving back and forth along her running route - that's how they caught him. It wasn't a random crime of opportunity.
Oh, ok. Thanks for the clarification.

It’s possible that she was held for a period of time, but I strongly disagree with that theory, here’s why:

Although he’s obviously decided not to reveal specific details (in a face saving effort), his story, in a general sense, rings true.

He attacks Mollie during her run, and is able to neutralize her (with a fist, a knife, or some other means).

He has to get her to an isolated location in order to sexually assault her (confirmation of rape notwithstanding). So he puts her in the trunk and drives to a secluded spot.

He carries Mollie a short distance, into the corn, where the rest of the attack occurs. He covers the body before leaving, and if he has not already, removes her phone and Fitbit, for destruction.

This type of event happens quite a bit. Joggers are frequently attacked along running routes, and dragged off the trail, into a wooded area, where they are raped and murdered. In this case, the perpetrator had his vehicle to worry about (easily visible), which necessitated him removing it and the victim from the area.

For him to take an injured Mollie to his residence (or any secondary location) is less likely than the scenario that he claims to have occurred. JMO
And without anyone seeing or hearing a thing? I thought other people lived there as well. And the property owners, not to mention the girlfriend? I cant see it.

In my opinion, I think if she was sexually assaulted then this was definitely a planned out attack and would have included stalking her- he could have seen her before and been sexually attracted to her.

If she was NOT sexually assaulted then I think he likely randomly saw her, flirted, got angry when she rejected him and killed her out of anger. This would be more of an opportunistic attack.

Either way, I am praying she wasn’t sexually assaulted.

Praying that she wasn't? She was brutally murdered which is much worse. There is no comfort in hearing that she was or wasn't at this point and it should almost be a point not talked about at this point. Maybe iowan's should vote on a death penalty and defacto this guy in there, and put express no appeals on it. Its the best justice for Mollie there could be. Mollies law.

One thing I can say is this story saved lives it got this guy off the street, and a national story like this will make girls more careful, more pepper spray, more only doing things in groups.
RIP Mollie.

I rewatched it. That was definitely what the judge said. I immediately assumed there must be some evidence or suspicion she was SA
I'm 100% convinced SA was the motive, the stalking was telling of that, and the murder of Mollie a terrible end result of him silencing her because of it and trying to cover his tracks. But he got caught thankfully by video footage at a nearby property he wasn't aware of out on back roads he stalked her on of him driving back and forth and back and forth past her running, and coming up behind her in his car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks