GUILTY South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi Van Breda, 22, Murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #6

PrimeSuspect

Reaction score
Son held after Perth family slaughtered in South Africa axe attack

2901_perthfamily_sp.ashx

Martin van Breda, 55, his wife Theresa, 54, and son Rudi, 22, were found dead at their home.

Three members of a Perth family have reportedly been murdered with an axe at their luxury South African home.
Daughter Marli, 16, is in a critical condition, while another son, Henri, 20, was slightly injured.
South African media have reported the victims were killed with an axe, and son Henri is assisting police with inquiries.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-perth-family-in-s-africa#bhHgqIUmxzzrrA1M.99

Thread #1

I don't think they streamed it because it was all over in a matter of minutes. I think this is all we're going to get.

It's enough, though. Henri stays where he belongs. What I'd like to know is, if he had been granted the appeal, would he also have been granted bail?

It's enough, though. Henri stays where he belongs. What I'd like to know is, if he had been granted the appeal, would he also have been granted bail?

No. He's been convicted and sentenced and unless this is overturned by the SCA, he will remain behind bars. It will be interesting to see if the SCA even grants him leave to appeal. I'm praying they do because it will be a sight to behold. They're really tough in that court. The Pistorius appeal was riveting.

Botha was supposed to be working pro bono way back. Is he going to foot the bill for the next year or so until the Supreme Court hears the appeal?

Botha will first need to file his application for leave. If he gets the green light, he then has to put together a copy of the transcript (possibly an abridged version as it is so long) for each of the 5 judges, all counsel and lawyers. This will cost a huge amount of money. He also needs to prepare his argument to present to the SCA.

As so much has already been spent by HvB/family trust, I think it would be fair to say that he will do everything pro bono, just as Roux did for OP.

No. He's been convicted and sentenced and unless this is overturned by the SCA, he will remain behind bars. It will be interesting to see if the SCA even grants him leave to appeal. I'm praying they do because it will be a sight to behold. They're really tough in that court. The Pistorius appeal was riveting.

Thanks, JJ. It's good to know he's not going anywhere anytime soon. And yes, I'll be looking forward to the SCA appeal too, if it happens. I missed pretty much all of the Pistorius case; it had already been going several months by the time I joined WS and I didn't feel equal to diving in at that point. I felt (still do, actually) totally confused by the whole thing, in particular the way it all dragged on and on and how that silly judge wanted to give him the lightest possible sentence. Baffling, the whole thing. :confused:

HvB’s lawyers will file papers petitioning the Supreme Court of Appeal to grant leave to appeal his conviction and sentence by Monday next week, 10 September.

Lorinda Van Niekerk told African News Agency the papers will be submitted either on Friday or Monday which falls within the 15-day deadline since their application for leave to appeal in the Western Cape High Court was turned down last month.

Axe murderer Henri Van Breda to appeal sentence by next week | IOL News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back