FL - Multiple Fatalities at Mass Shooting at Madden Gaming Tournament, Jacksonville, 26 Aug 2018

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said we need to improve our mental healthcare system.

David WAS in mental healthcare! His parents WERE trying to get him help for YEARS. What more could they have done?! There is a missing link between people seeking treatment for their young children and actually getting treatment that helps. We need something better. I don't know what that something is - and I'm NOT saying this would make the world perfect or end mass shootings - but making this better I strongly believe would certainly make this a much rarer occurrence. Not to mention actually making a positive difference in so many lives even on a small daily level.

"By 12 years old, he was taking Risperdal, an anti-psychotic drug to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, his father said in court records. He often missed school and resisted treatment, sometimes curling into a ball. His father said the boy would appear to be “looking right through you.”"

In Howard County, parents of Jacksonville shooting suspect had been desperate to find psychiatric care for son

Thank you for the link, @Ray_of_hope. Interesting article. His parents’ divorce lasted a decade. But records show, too, that they also made substantial efforts to get him the help he needed, imo. What a nightmare for them, too, when their son was obviously troubled, they tried to help him in so many ways, and then he commits this atrocity.

I’d guess it’s one of any parent’s worst nightmares.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said we need to improve our mental healthcare system.

David WAS in mental healthcare! His parents WERE trying to get him help for YEARS. What more could they have done?! There is a missing link between people seeking treatment for their young children and actually getting treatment that helps. We need something better. I don't know what that something is - and I'm NOT saying this would make the world perfect or end mass shootings - but making this better I strongly believe would certainly make this a much rarer occurrence. Not to mention actually making a positive difference in so many lives even on a small daily level.
I couldn't agree more and that's why I got so defensive re: the neighbor that criticized them for being 'anti-social'. I think they've been doing everything and more. There's just nothing for adults with mental illness. They kind of age out, like in foster care. IMO.

IMO only thing that will help is insane asylums

"By 12 years old, he was taking Risperdal, an anti-psychotic drug to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, his father said in court records. He often missed school and resisted treatment, sometimes curling into a ball. His father said the boy would appear to be “looking right through you.”"

In Howard County, parents of Jacksonville shooting suspect had been desperate to find psychiatric care for son

Im very liberal, but if I was a father and I honestly saw that, I'd keep my kid away from the public as much as I could have. For everyone's safety.

American Exceptionalism: longest standing democracy in history. Only country to fight a war to end slavery. 300,000 soldiers gave their lives to free the slaves. Without the US, we'd be speaking German and Jewish genocide may be complete. Without the US, all of Europe would be speaking Russian and praising the Politburo. And bottom line - why on Earth does everyone want to come here to live???
Yes, America is exceptional. Even Hunter Thompson said so.
The US comes in a the 5th oldest running democracy in the world.
Claiming that the US is the only country to have to fight a war against other Americans is nothing to be proud of.
Without Russia winning the war against the Germans and the rest of the allies who were in that war years before the US was, you may be speaking German.
Speaking Russian. No way.
Everyone does not do want to live in the US. Poor people and refugees are flocking to every western Nation

Im very liberal, but if I was a father and I honestly saw that, I'd keep my kid away from the public as much as I could have. For everyone's safety.

I almost wonder if that's why they were as a family "anti-social." Maybe they did not want the chance of David being violent towards people. Just speculating.

American Exceptionalism: longest standing democracy in history. Only country to fight a war to end slavery. 300,000 soldiers gave their lives to free the slaves. Without the US, we'd be speaking German and Jewish genocide may be complete. Without the US, all of Europe would be speaking Russian and praising the Politburo. And bottom line - why on Earth does everyone want to come here to live???
Yes, America is exceptional. Even Hunter Thompson said so.

The quasi-copypasta is charming and tugs heartstrings, to be sure. Bravo!

Well played; very nearly performance art. Thank you for the chuckle.

Last edited:
But that's the problem. The 'kids' are now adults and the parents cannot do anything but Baker Act. We've had to discharge so many from the local ER's and explain to overwrought and fearful parents that if their adult child cannot be Baker Acted and the 'now adult' refuses treatment, then they walk. It's horrific for the parent that knows what's going to happen. Even LE can't do anything unless there's an issue.

Last edited:
I almost wonder if that's why they were as a family "anti-social." Maybe they did not want the chance of David being violent towards people. Just speculating.

If what I’m reading is true DK was a vulnerable adult and should not have been free to roam around to do whatever he wanted to do unsupervised. JMO

But that's the problem. The 'kids' are now adults and the parents cannot do anything but Baker Act. We've had to discharge so many from the local ER's and explain to overwrought and fearful parents that if they cannot be Baker Acted and the now adult refuses treatment, then they walk. It's horrific for the parent that knows what's going to happen. Even LE can't do anything unless there's an issue.

Yep, that's another horrendous problem. What do we do about adults who are very obviously ill and violent...but who have no desire to seek any type of treatment? Unless something of epic proportions happens, you cannot force an adult to do something they don't want to do. Here is another gap that needs filling, and I'm sure no one at this time has the answer to that.

MASS SHOOTING
AP: Jacksonville shooting suspect David Katz hospitalized for mental illness, court records say

"....Here's everything we know about Katz so far...."

David Katz: Who is the Jacksonville shooting suspect?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back