Found Safe CA - Audrey Rodrigue, 29, & Emily, 10, Canadians on camping trip, San Mateo County, 26 Aug 2018

There is no doubt that car has GPS in it, it was rented from the airport.
Perhaps this is why the immediate concern. They should know where the vehicle is.
If the GPS has been disabled that would cause the police to have immediate concern something is wrong.

I was hoping they had just gone off grid, but now I'm thinking the cops have a good reason to immediately be so concerned. Hoping the GPS simply broke and it was nothing nefarious...

Mother and daughter from Quebec reported missing in California
Officials are asking for the public's help because relatives are concerned.

“The area that they are travelling is so vast there is no way we can do it ourselves, that's why we need to get more eyes out there,” she said.

The sheriff's office has also sent 'Be on the Lookout' fliers to local law enforcement, she added.

As some who has been a long time lurker with nothing to contribute I finally feel like I may be able to provide some information about the area. The Emerald Triangle can be a beautiful place to visit if you stay in the tourist areas but venturing too far off the beaten path can come with its own consequences.

Also, the routes from their last known location and the campsite where they were possibly seen would have had toll booths so I would assume that there are cameras there to monitor the traffic and to capture photos of people who haven’t paid their tolls. Those routes ( one lane each direction) have stretches that can be difficult to navigate as rock slides and accidents frequently occur.

I hope that wherever they are that they are safe.

Welcome compton96!!!! And thank you so very much for your contribution, as it was truly helpful!!!! To have an understanding of the area is invaluable!!!

Perhaps this is why the immediate concern. They should know where the vehicle is.
If the GPS has been disabled that would cause the police to have immediate concern something is wrong.

I was hoping they had just gone off grid, but now I'm thinking the cops have a good reason to immediately be so concerned. Hoping the GPS simply broke and it was nothing nefarious...

I have no mind for technical things and also lack a certain amount of common sense!!! So, thank you for this explanation!! I understand the GPS situation and the concern now.

It certainly seems that something has gone wrong.
Neither of the girls phones are working.
There is the chance that the toll booth hasn't captured their license plate as of yet.
There are no absolute confirmed sightings.
They missed a check-in at pigeon point hostel.
Wondering if there is a check-in procedure at fish lake and what their status is/was?
They have made no attempts to contact audrey's boyfriend.
The GPS in the car seems to be disabled/broken/off grid due to sudden concern of police.
The boyfriend has chosen to remain anonymous.
They are traveling in a sometimes difficult area due to the natural surroundings and certain local residents.

Welcome compton96!!!! And thank you so very much for your contribution, as it was truly helpful!!!! To have an understanding of the area is invaluable!!!

I have no mind for technical things and also lack a certain amount of common sense!!! So, thank you for this explanation!! I understand the GPS situation and the concern now.

It certainly seems that something has gone wrong.
Neither of the girls phones are working.
There is the chance that the toll booth hasn't captured their license plate as of yet.
There are no absolute confirmed sightings.
They missed a check-in at pigeon point hostel.
Wondering if there is a check-in procedure at fish lake and what their status is/was?
They have made no attempts to contact audrey's boyfriend.
The GPS in the car seems to be disabled/broken/off grid due to sudden concern of police.
The boyfriend has chosen to remain anonymous.
They are traveling in a sometimes difficult area due to the natural surroundings and certain local residents.

I think I can shed a little more light here also. Driving through that area, cell phone coverage is very spotty as well as GPS and any satellite radio that you may have. Various members of my family use different providers and while we all have spotty service, the different providers work in different areas.

Unfortunately driving through that area, you are surrounded by beautiful redwoods and steep cliffs. That is not a good recipe for great cell phone service. I also recently travelled to Canada and had a heck of a time just getting my service to work in big cities. I can't imagine trying to make it work in more remote areas.

From your link:
Authorities said they had no set plan for the trip and were choosing destinations as they travelled.

Well, then, that will make it especially difficult to know where to search! It would be helpful if we knew, at least, a general itinerary including how long was she planning to vacation here and where she was going to fly home from.

Looking at the Pinterest page FaithHope linked (thank you!) she seemed to really like lighthouses, so it’s surprising she didn’t show up there (Pigeon Point). Or maybe she did, just for photos and viewing, but didn’t end up staying in the accommodations overnight?

It was mentioned in some article that she was looking for free places to camp, so where are free places to camp? If they were at the Fish Lake Campground, was that free?

I think I can shed a little more light here also. Driving through that area, cell phone coverage is very spotty as well as GPS and any satellite radio that you may have. Various members of my family use different providers and while we all have spotty service, the different providers work in different areas.

Unfortunately driving through that area, you are surrounded by beautiful redwoods and steep cliffs. That is not a good recipe for great cell phone service. I also recently travelled to Canada and had a heck of a time just getting my service to work in big cities. I can't imagine trying to make it work in more remote areas.

This is true, however the rental car company should still have a last known location. Example: If I map to our cabin when I leave our house it will take me right to the DOOR of our cabin. That is 45 minutes after I lose all cell service. I can't map my way back home, text, call or do anything on my phone.

However, the mapping will continue since it was started before I left the service area. So my phone, would show my last location as the cabin. Even though I left service 45 minutes before that.

I imagine that the GPS in the vehicle is similar. I would guess that it likely continues tracking until the vehicle is turned off or the battery dies, depending on which it's connected to.

This is ONLY a guess, I am simply assuming they likely work in a similar way and I don't have time to do a search right now. I'm sure someone else will though if I'm incorrect!

You really think it has GPS? I'm not so sure. I've rented a lot of cars, about half from airports and not all have GPS. Or at least not in the way I'm thinking of the map routing GPS either by built-in display or by renting something like a Garmin from the company. I never rent the optional GPS and I'd say only about 10% of the vehicles I've rented had built-in GPS. My thinking is that a Ford Focus (cheaper vehicle) probably wouldn't have it. Last vehicle I rented with GPS was a Suburban.

Unless you mean something like a tracking device for the rental company to find their car, then I guess it may have it. I admittedly don't know enough about rental car companies and if they usually have something to track their vehicles or not if they go missing.

We often camp up and down that stretch of highway, I have never noticed free camping, nor have I really looked for it but it seems that a lot the campgrounds along there are fairly inexpensive. It is a very "hippy" area with a large transient population that just sleeps anywhere along those roads or along the banks of the rivers there.

You really think it has GPS? I'm not so sure. I've rented a lot of cars, about half from airports and not all have GPS. Or at least not in the way I'm thinking of the map routing GPS either by built-in display or by renting something like a Garmin from the company. I never rent the optional GPS and I'd say only about 10% of the vehicles I've rented had built-in GPS. My thinking is that a Ford Focus (cheaper vehicle) probably wouldn't have it. Last vehicle I rented with GPS was a Suburban.

Unless you mean something like a tracking device for the rental company to find their car, then I guess it may have it. I admittedly don't know enough about rental car companies and if they usually have something to track their vehicles or not if they go missing.

I suppose I was also thinking of GPS in that sense but I do think that most rental cars must have some sort of lojack type system to be able to recover them if they are abandoned for any reason.

I suppose I was also thinking of GPS in that sense but I do think that most rental cars must have some sort of lojack type system to be able to recover them if they are abandoned for any reason.

Absolutely. In fact, when you rent a car you tell them if you are going to take it out of state. Some rental agencies will charge you extra if you are. I've known of people who've been contacted by the company when they crossed a border in their rented vehicle. I would imagine airport rentals would all have it. Some of the smaller rental companies may not, but I'd imagine all the airport locations do. A lot of loan companies even put them on vehicles until the loan is paid off!

Mother and daughter from Quebec reported missing in California
image.jpg

This combination of undated photos released by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office shows Audrey Rodrigue, right, and her daughter Emily, of Canada, who have been reported missing. Authorities are searching for the women who were reported missing after arriving in Northern California for a camping trip. The San Mateo County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said they were reported missing Monday, Aug. 27, 2018. (San Mateo County Sheriff's Office via AP)
Officials are asking for the public's help because relatives are concerned.

“The area that they are travelling is so vast there is no way we can do it ourselves, that's why we need to get more eyes out there,” she said.

rbbm

I expect there will be an officer at that departure gate then. Hopefully they will show up Friday and be stunned anyone was looking and annoyed the boyfriend caused such a ruckus! That was my initial thought, but the police being concerned before they missed the flight home cause me to doubt my first instinct...

Found safe!
Mom, 10-year-old daughter who vanished while camping in California just found safe
Missing Canadian mom, daughter found in California
Authorities say a Canadian woman and her daughter who vanished on the way to a Northern California camping trip have been found — camping.

The San Mateo County Sheriff's Office tweeted Thursday evening that Audrey Rodrigue and her 10-year-old daughter, Emily, were in good health when authorities spotted them and were simply enjoying their trip.

The sheriff's office didn't indicate where the two were camping.

So apparently California has a law pertaining to using GPS to track rental cars:
"The use of GPS to track stolen vehicles is at the center of a debate between car rental companies and privacy advocates in California. Most rental cars are equipped with navigation and GPS technology. But unlike automakers that can begin tracking their customer’s movements as soon as they drive off the lot, California law bars rental companies from tracking their customer’s location until the vehicle has been missing at least five days past its return date."
BBM

Can GPS tracking stop customers from stealing rental cars? In California, a new debate over privacy begins.

In the article the police even refused to intervene when someone found the stolen rental car - they just happened to be following it- LE called it a civil matter and said all necessary paperwork, etc had to be filled out

So I'm not sure how it would work in audrey's situation

Police were able to reach Audrey by phone on Thursday. They say the mother and daughter were likely out of cell service, and were just enjoying their California camping trip. They plan to return home Friday.

Audrey was surprised to hear from the police, they say.

They're thanking everyone who helped spread the word.

Canadian mom, child reported missing in NorCal found safe

This is awesome!!!! Best outcome ever!!!!!! And sort of funny!!!!:D:D:D

Edited to re-format msm copied text

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members