CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
During today's service, did I hear a priest say something about the family having no desire for retribution/revenge....no desire for more death?

If I heard somewhat correctly, and this in fact is the stand of the family, then maybe they would request to take the Death Penalty off the table?

I heard that, too.

So why do you think the state will not seek the death penalty?

In a word, closure. The family would have finality: they wouldn't have to wait for an undetermined execution date many years in the future, and have to decide if they would attend the execution.

CW could appeal a sentence of life without parole, but the appeal wouldn't take as long as the neverending appeals process in death penalty cases, where there's always someone looking for commutation or a reprieve.

Cost is another factor. Death penalty cases cost more to try because you have to do more to protect the defendant's rights, and there's extra time in jury selection and more expert witnesses. Then if you get the death penalty, there's the cost of appeals.

Colorado has only executed one person since the death penalty became legal again in 1974. Only four people on death row right now, and they are not in a hurry to execute them. He would probably die in prison before being executed, at the rate things are going.

I feel the tide is really turning against the death penalty. The Pope even came out against it the other day. Now that most states have the option of life without the possibility of parole, the number of prisoners sentenced to death has fallen dramatically.

For comparison, consider Texas, where 545 people have been put to death since 1974. Even in Texas the tide has turned. In 1999, 48 defendants were sentenced to death in Texas; in 2017 there were 4. In 1998 there were 438 people on death row in Texas; today there are 228. Here's a chart that shows the decline in the number of people sentenced to death row by year. Notice the sharp drop after 2001. That is when they implemented the possibility of life without parole.

tx.png

But on the other hand, the facts of this case are particularly heinous. You've got a dead 4 year old, a dead 3 year old, and a dead pregnant wife. It could go either way.

What the hell is wrong with people today?
(I just saw a really awful disgusting troll comment beneath an msm article and thought about throwing my phone in the trash and going completely off the internet grid forever..of course I’d miss you guys terribly...but even if I wanted to do this, it’s just not realistic in this day and age. But if I could go back to the days before, I would...don’t want to get too o/t, or focus on the negative because there are wonderful things about the internet too, but I’m just getting so grossed out, for lack of a better term...)

Do you see any reason other than saving taxpayers the expense of a trial, for the prosecution to offer a plea?

If there is no plea offered, then what is left is 1) same story, 2) a new story or 3) throw rocks.

Is that right? :confused:

Question #1: See my other post. Closure for the family would be the biggest reason, I think. If he is sentenced to death, then there's still an open wound waiting for the execution.

Question #2: Yes, the defense has all three of those options.

Mrspratcher,

I was just sitting outside enjoying a beautiful evening watching all the little kids go by on their bikes, some very little with their moms and dads...I was just thinking about the girls, if they would have been outside on this beautiful evening.

Did the family ride bikes? Just wondering. CW seems like the bicycle riding type to me, jmo.

I think about the girls every time I see my little 11
month old smile like Bella and Cece. I don’t understand how anyone could kill their own child. I saw a picture of CW on the day Bella was born and it made me so sad. How could he take her life after he watched her take her first breath. He watched her take her first breath and her last. How could he betray those girls - the one man they could/should feel safe with. He’s pure evil.

In a word, closure. The family would have finality: they wouldn't have to wait for an undetermined execution date many years in the future, and have to decide if they would attend the execution.

CW could appeal a sentence of life without parole, but the appeal wouldn't take as long as the neverending appeals process in death penalty cases, where there's always someone looking for commutation or a reprieve.

Cost is another factor. Death penalty cases cost more to try because you have to do more to protect the defendant's rights, and there's extra time in jury selection and more expert witnesses. Then if you get the death penalty, there's the cost of appeals.

Colorado has only executed one person since the death penalty became legal again in 1974. Only four people on death row right now, and they are not in a hurry to execute them. He would probably die in prison before being executed, at the rate things are going.

I feel the tide is really turning against the death penalty. The Pope even came out against it the other day. Now that most states have the option of life without the possibility of parole, the number of prisoners sentenced to death has fallen dramatically.

For comparison, consider Texas, where 545 people have been put to death since 1974. Even in Texas the tide has turned. In 1999, 48 defendants were sentenced to death in Texas; in 2017 there were 4. In 1998 there were 438 people on death row in Texas; today there are 228. Here's a chart that shows the decline in the number of people sentenced to death row by year. Notice the sharp drop after 2001. That is when they implemented the possibility of life without parole.

tx.png

But on the other hand, the facts of this case are particularly heinous. You've got a dead 4 year old, a dead 3 year old, and a dead pregnant wife. It could go either way.

I think Shanann's family are against the death penalty.

Nebraska put the death penalty back on the ballot several years ago and voters wanted it back. But a panel of judges decides it, not the jury. After the Mollie Tibbetts and Deputy Mark Burbridge murders, I think Iowa might bring it back.

Question #1: See my other post. Closure for the family would be the biggest reason, I think. If he is sentenced to death, then there's still an open wound waiting for the execution.

Question #2: Yes, the defense has all three of those options.
Thank you. I think the defense may need some boulders.

I'm really sorry to have missed the service for Shannan and the girls :( My eldest daughter and hubby are here for the weekend and I wasn't aware her funeral was going to stream live. I didn't know SW and her babies but wanted to pay my respects and honor their lives especially when their husband/father showed such a lack of respect for them all in their deaths and disposal of their remains. RIP Shannan, Bella and CeCe. I hope you know there are many outside of your beloved uncle and grandparents that will continue to remember you and continue to follow killers trial until justice is served. I am grateful you are now in God's arms where you no longer have to be afraid.

I'm really sorry to have missed the service for Shannan and the girls :( My eldest daughter and hubby are here for the weekend and I wasn't aware her funeral was going to stream live. I didn't know SW and her babies but wanted to pay my respects and honor their lives especially when their husband/father showed such a lack of respect for them all in their deaths and disposal of their remains. RIP Shannan, Bella and CeCe. I hope you know there are many outside of your beloved uncle and grandparents that will continue to remember you and continue to follow killers trial until justice is served. I am grateful you are now in God's arms where you no longer have to be afraid.
You can still watch it on the funeral homes fb page.

Boles Funeral Homes & Crematory

Do you see any reason other than saving taxpayers the expense of a trial, for the prosecution to offer a plea?

If there is no plea offered, then what is left is 1) same story, 2) a new story or 3) throw rocks.

Is that right? :confused:
Another reason might be to spare the family the pain and inconvenience of a trial. It would be a hardship for them to come to CO from N.C.

I don’t see what they can offer for a plea other than death down to life in prison. Maybe they’ll put death out there as a bargaining chip. People would be outraged if he was ever granted parole and allowed out on the streets again.

Fabulous post, gitana1.

So do you lean towards premeditation?

Yeah. I do now. His behavior right after doesn't really match, IMO, with someone who just lost it.

He was calculating and calm in the way he tried to conceal the murders. Of course not perfect but I think her delayed flight messed up his plans.

I think he wanted out. But to still look like the good guy and avoid the debt of a divorce and burden of child support/child care. I have a feeling appearance was super important to him. Especially with his family.

I didn't listen to it, but the Pope made that the official Catholic position just a few weeks ago. I happen to agree with the pope: I've settled against the death penalty, but when I heard the facts of this case I was ready to go bludgeon CW with a baseball bat.

I think many felt the same way. This and the Mollie Tibbetts murder are both heinous.

Yeah. I do now. His behavior right after doesn't really match, IMO, with someone who just lost it.

He was calculating and calm in the way he tried to conceal the murders. Of course not perfect but I think her delayed flight messed up his plans.

I think he wanted out. But to still look like the good guy and avoid the debt of a divorce and burden of child support/child care. I have a feeling appearance was super important to him. Especially with his family.
I think he wanted out too, but only for relationships freedoms. I think she wanted out too, once she discovered his betrayals. The home loan was in his name only although she was also on title. This could be a problem if she wanted to raise the girls and unborn Nico in the home and he was the only one responsible for the loan legally. I really think she left with the girls for 6 weeks and they spoke often. I also think, knowing her intent to divorce him, he planned this out. imo

<modsnip>

I have wondered if medication would factor into this case. A reaction would help explain the sudden violence when it "appears" there'd been none reported in the past. (Which I realize may not mean anything.)

<modsnip>

But it's probably a moot point (or a "moo" point for fellow FRIENDS watchers). We have no idea if he was even on any medication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member