Found Deceased OR - Meighan Cordie, 27, Yamhill County, 18 Aug 2018

From the beginning, mom’s story hasn’t made sense, and, if the driver had been anyone other than mom, there would be an uproar. LE probably has a sense of what transpired and is working to get the truth out of people who were involved. One hope would be that LE can hopefully track Meighan’s phone history to determine her phone’s approximate route that night.

LE also has a handle on

—when Meighan was last seen at the wedding reception by someone other than immediate family (parents)
—whether she was seen departing, and, if so, was mom the only person with her
—who was driving the car
—was anyone else caravaning / following them or at least on the same route
—where dad and other significant people (ex-boyfriend?) were at the time

MOO:
Unless I’m mistaken, the only account we have of what transpired up to the point that Meighan went missing is mom’s secondhand report as filtered through the media & LE. Although it’s a point of reference, I don’t consider her report to be reliable. The unreliability could be due to any number of factors, including intoxication, black out, physical trauma, or emotional trauma due to Meighan’s death ... or even due to mom not being able to change what happened to Meighan, but changing the events leading up to Meighan’s death for reasons that are no doubt dear to mom.

Hopefully LE will be able to confirm whether what happened to Meighan was a tragic accident or something else.

From the beginning, mom’s story hasn’t made sense, and, if the driver had been anyone other than mom, there would be an uproar. LE probably has a sense of what transpired and is working to get the truth out of people who were involved. One hope would be that LE can hopefully track Meighan’s phone history to determine her phone’s approximate route that night.

LE also has a handle on

—when Meighan was last seen at the wedding reception by someone other than immediate family (parents)
—who was driving the car

MOO:
Unless I’m mistaken, the only account we have of what transpired up to the point that Meighan went missing is mom’s secondhand report as filtered through the media & LE. Although it’s a point of reference, I don’t consider her report to be reliable. The unreliability could be due to any number of factors, including intoxication, black out, physical trauma, or emotional trauma due to Meighan’s death ... or even due to mom not being able to change what happened to Meighan, but changing the events leading up to Meighan’s death for reasons that are no doubt dear to mom.

Hopefully LE will be able to confirm whether what happened to Meighan was a tragic accident or something else.

Excellent recap. When LE is silent, there is a good reason, in my experience.

LE also has a handle on

—who was driving the car

MOO:

Excellent summary. Media is extremely unreliable the majority of the time.

Anything from the family asking for clues or if anyone saw something that night -perhaps sudden car damage? Just saying as a mom I would want to know everything I could about what happened to my child that night after she got out of my car.
All very strange circumstances in this case.

I haven't seen anything new. I am with you Mimosa, IF I thought a vehicle was involved and it was my child, I would be all over the place taking photos, asking for help locating, etc. I wonder if they have learned that a vehicle wasn't involved or maybe they are looking into all the people that have damage to a vehicle. I feel like they are close to answers but maybe I am just being optomistic. I feel terrible for Meighan's loved ones, she was so young and this is a tragedy :(

I tweeted at the sheriff and a few news organizations to ask if there's any update.

Thank you, Alethea for doing that. It would be nice to get some answers about what happened to this young lady who walked off into the night. It is terrifying just to think of her out there in pitch dark--no light, no shoes, no one to help her.

This is so weird. Even if this wasn't a homicide, it's still a fatal hit and run accident. Why aren't they releasing anything or asking people to BOLO for specific car damage? Especially from people that were leaving the wedding.

Both family and police have been completely silent.

I fear this is just going to fade away. They found her and determined cause of death. It seems her family hasn’t been actively seeking further investigation (at least not via the media).

If the news reports are correct, and her mother did what was reported, I'm not really surprised the family is not seeking further investigation. I'm pretty sure they are just hoping this will go away.

Both family and police have been completely silent.

I think mom really stopped the car where the body was found along that embankment. Meighan either got out of the car and fell over the edge accidentally, or was pushed. Without a phone, flashlight, or shoes, I don't think Meighan walked anywhere.

I can see a mother/daughter arguing and a mother saying "get your stuff and get out of the car, you can call your dad for a ride." I can't see anyone, no matter how drunk, telling someone else to walk 10 miles barefoot at midnight in the pitch black with no phone to call for help or flashlight to light the way.

So I will give a not-so-nice story from my life.....

Now, some context first: my mother is a very nice lady 75% of the time. But all my life, she has had some uncontrollable anger issues, which yes, even sometimes spilled into the relationships of her children.

There was one night when I was 19-years-old, we were at a gas station in the middle of nowhere and it was like 3am. It was wintertime and freezing, I had only brought a hoodie. She insisted I take off the hoodie because I "looked like a bum or th*g" walking into a gas station with a hoodie on. I said, "What? You're crazy! It's freezing and I have nothing else to wear! And they are going to think I'm a criminal for wearing a hoodie that has pink sparkle letters on it?! It's winter anyways!" In my mind, this was over something so small, but she got extremely, irrationally angry that I would not take off the hoodie. She ended up physically dragging me out of the car, pushing me to the ground, jumping back into the car, and locking all the doors. I started crying and told her I wanted my phone, wallet, and ID so I could either call my dad or a taxi to pick me up. She said no, that I had to walk the OVER 30 MILES back home because I was a "spoiled brat who hasn't suffered enough in this life." She only gave me back my things when I reminded her I was an adult and I could go into the gas station and report her for theft (which of course made her angrier, but she eventually chucked my stuff out of the window and onto the ground....she ignored my existence for 2 solid weeks after that).

This is all to say......

Sometimes moms who are generally and for the most part very good moms, are also humans who may have issues of their own. Maybe her mom was like my mom, where she had a snap bad moment in judgement, got irrationally angry, and made a horrible decision. It doesn't necessarily mean she is a horrible mother. "A good mother would never do that," Yeah I want to agree with such comments, but life isn't that neat and tidy. People make mistakes sometime.

If I didn't get my cell phone back that night, I could easily have been like Meighan. And I wouldn't want the public judging my mom based on one of her worst "parenting" moments as opposed to the majority of my life where she has been great and supportive.

MOO.

I think mom really stopped the car where the body was found along that embankment. Meighan either got out of the car and fell over the edge accidentally, or was pushed. Without a phone, flashlight, or shoes, I don't think Meighan walked anywhere.

I can see a mother/daughter arguing and a mother saying "get your stuff and get out of the car, you can call your dad for a ride." I can't see anyone, no matter how drunk, telling someone else to walk 10 miles barefoot at midnight in the pitch black with no phone to call for help or flashlight to light the way.
Hi Alethea, this is tragic. She was so young!

I agree that it doesn't make sense for her mother to leave her out there at night, so far away from home with no phone or shoes. I am wondering if her mother was giving her a ride out of concern for Meighan drinking at the wedding and driving home. From what I've found, Meighan did seem to have problems with alcohol, although nothing too recent.

1/2009 Polk County
Person under 21 Attempt to Purchase Alcoholic Beverages

8/2013 Marion County
DUI
Failure to Perform Duties of Driver-Prop Damage
Reckless Driving

11/2013 Marion County
DUI
Failure to Obey Traffic Control Device

I usually have pretty good luck deciphering online court records, but this one isn't as clear as some. If you have time, perhaps you could take a look. Smart Search - OREGON JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT - Online Records Search

It does look like her DL was reinstated in 2015, but I wonder if she lost it again in another jurisdiction since that website doesn't seem to cover all Oregon courts?

Sure hope there is some kind of news soon.

That makes more sense than the story we have.

I’ll add to it — I suspect from what we’ve heard about COD that Meghan was hit by a vehicle, and it wasn’t a glancing blow. Maybe the vehicle was driven by a family member or maybe it was a passerby who just kept on going. Maybe Meighan even had her phone with her at the time.

It has seemed from the beginning that there was a need for a cover story. Why?

That makes more sense than the story we have.

I’ll add to it — I suspect from what we’ve heard about COD that Meghan was hit by a vehicle, and it wasn’t a glancing blow. Maybe the vehicle was driven by a family member or maybe it was a passerby who just kept on going. Maybe Meighan even had her phone with her at the time.

It has seemed from the beginning that there was a need for a cover story. Why?

Erring on the most generous side of the story, the mom could have dropped her, drove for 20 seconds and turned around to go back to get her and MC may have already fallen over the embankment and hit her head on the rocks below or wandered off. MC may have been more impaired than her mom thought, unable to really stand or walk. I guess MC's mom could have also been mistaken as to where she dropped her off that night.

The one thing that doesn't add up is the drop-off point being 8 miles from the body site. I don't think that's a reasonable length to walk barefoot in the middle of the night. I just don't believe it. It's either a mistake, or a cover-up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back